Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo selection

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Admiral052

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo selection

So I have a new plane that I am buying parts for now and I am looking at the vast selection of servos availible. Tons of different brands, different gearing, bearings, torque etc. I am outfitting a .40 GP Stik and they have recommendations and recently a friend recommended Hitec 325HB servos all around. Is this a good choice for my stik? I am planning on using a spektrum set-up for the DX6i.

Here is the questions,

how do you guys pick servos for aircraft and what are the rules for choosing?

Whatis the 3000ft view breakdown of servos?

Does it matter what brand you use with your reciever?

Thanks guys for any info you can provide.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Servo selection

They will work.

Manufacturers usually list an acceptable torque range.

Digitals center better and provide instant torque, analogs use less power. (Keep in mind there's good analogue and crappy digitals so being digital doesn't always make it better)

Any modern servos will work with any reciever. There's a few odd ball exceptions from 10+ years ago.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always use a bigger servo than you need, torque wise....but you can't use a smaller servo.....As most of us get bigger airplanes I go with the biggest that fits my budget at the time.....A good all around servo is a HiTech 5645...and they don't break the bank either....plus alot of places will cut you a deal on servos in bulk....usuall 3 to 5 or more is considered bulk....Now tower and Horizon don't offer much of a bulk deal....you'll have to go with some of the on line shops like Valley view, dawg house or don's...always check your LHS first
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
For ordinary sport .40-.60 planes with a span of 140cm-180cm just any standard servo is suitable. A standard servo weigh around 40-50g and pulls 2,5-4kg (Meassured one centimeter from center) and can be analog or digital and have either brass bushings or one or two ball bearings.
Nylon gear is preferable to metall gear due to less play.
Futaba, Hitech, JR, Spektrum, Multiplex,Sanwa are safe/good brands! Dyamond and Blue Bird are others that work good too

Futaba 3003, 3001, 3004 , Hitec 422, 425, 225 . JR 508,511,4001, 801 Spektrum DS 821...are just a few examples of servos I have used during my 36 years in this hobby.