Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Dont Have IT

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Dont Have IT

Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
raptor001
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Dont Have IT

If you are worried about your first 5 minutes i got you bet in my first minute of flight i crashed it right in front of everyone including my wife. never crash in front of wife when you are a newly wed. as far as not in front of your club if your club is a good one they should have instructors who are real instructors that know how to use the BB and would not let you fly without it. By the way i started flying in 87 i lost an airplane just 2 months ago to a dam Hawk mid air crash both where lost. och by the way i have 3 trainers on hand to remind me of the basics and you will learn to fly dont get upset about flying and crashing it happens to all. it will specially happen win you take it as you know everything. as far as your teacher not instuctor fire him hethe instructoris incharge not you and your club should make him pay for your plane. if i was instructing you that wouldnt have happened ever.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

what size prop/engine were you useing? if you were useing a 60 i would recommend a 13x4, if a .75 a 14x4 and a .90 a 15x4. the key for trainers is slow flight, gives you plenty of time to react. i am guessing you had aa 12x6 or something similar which causes the plane to haul....not good when starting out. drop your prop size and keep the throttle low....should be much closer to realflight
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
bigdanusa

Tower Hobbies and all the other dealers will be real happy to hear about your crash.

I'd be finding me a new instructor...He should have never let you fly below 2 mistakes high...why didn't he take over?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213
drop your prop size and keep the throttle low....should be much closer to realflight

It wasan OS.60 and 13".....that plane was flat getting it on.

I was told not to touch the throttle or the rudder and do pattern laps......I have done a million controlled ones on the sim with everykind of plane...eh pretty decent......but the real deal was screaming hair on fire...wow

As he flew it around I was thinking the bands would pop at any minute.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

Tower Hobbies and all the other dealers will be real happy to hear about your crash.

I'd be finding me a new instructor...He should have never let you fly below 2 mistakes high...why didn't he take over?
Im still not going to harsh him.He was right kind tome and Ithink he felt Isince Iknow about flightvia otherrealms.... Ihad it. Iwas three - four mistakes high in a screaming banked turn at the flight line......up until that point, well the preceeding three turns I was level and GTG.

I dont come from a culture where we over talk our ability or set false expectations.......but I guess he thought I was 10-4.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

That isn't your fault at all, that was crap for an instructor!!You were supposed to be hooked up to a buddy box. When I instruct I let my students know in advance not to worry, there is nothing they can do to crash the plane as long as I have them flying high enough to give me time to sve it. That isn't very high at all. To date I have never lost a trainer to a student while I had him on the box. All I have to do is release the trainer switch and I have complete control of the plane. It happens so fast there isn't any lag time.
As an instructor I have my own buddy box and cord. If the student wants to use his trainer instead of mine I just install my RX into his plane.
It's a no brainer!! If the instructor didn't have a buddy box to use then he isn't an instructor. We haven't used the hand off and pass the TX in years. Last time I did that I think I was wearing a bow tie and high button shoes.
No one has what it takes when they just begin, it's not a you problem. My students can't crash my plane, I won't let them!!!! I'm the person in charge!! Not the student!!
I was one of the few guys in my club to use Airtronics so no buddy box. But my instructer was very good and when he said "take" he got my transmitter. Luckily, just releasing the stick was enuf to start the recovery .
I knew I was ready to solo when one day I had an engine out with him about 10 feet away. I yelled to have him take it and he yelled "NO! - You do it." I did and it stopped at my feet - no more instructor needed.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

What transmitter are you using? I might have a spare BB I can send you, so you have your own. I also have a NIB PT-60 kit that I'd let you buy cheap.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
JH313

When I learned to fly this year, I didn't have a BB, but my instructors were used to training without it. My first crash was also less then a month from soloing, that was horrible. The worst part was bringing it to my uncle, who had been flying and building for over 30 years. He looked at it and said "Even I can't fix that"! I knew at that point I did a good job crashing. But I was able to pick up from that and move on. His other greatest quote was "You show me someone who hasn't crashed and I'll show you someone who hasn't flown". I once saw one person crash 3 planes in one day, talk about bad luck. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: JH313

I once saw one person crash 3 planes in one day, talk about bad luck.
Funny, I don't remember you being there the day I did that!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Realflight isn't that much different.... Exept when you are learning 3d. RF 3Ders seem to be able to hover way to easily.... unless my planes fly like crap. 
anyways, when I learned to fly, The 72 mgh futaba transmitter would not release control to a second transmitter connected via BB, so I learned with the "pass the transmitter" techniqe. I must be a natural or something, because the only time I have truly "crashed" my trainer ( a sweet stick 40 no less) was after my solo.... an not much was broken, for it was moving pretty slow.
back on topic: while a BB is a good idea, it is not truly neccesary. your instructer should have grabbed the trannsmitter when you fist showed signs of trouble. That would have kept the plane from crashing. 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM
crustychief

I agree with what the others have already said. Find the trainer on Real Flight and edit it, add some weight to the wing and fuselage so it weighs about 7 lbs. It will be a little more realistic.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

If it was the speed of the airplane that contributed to the crash then my suggestion would be to get a hobby king bixler powered glider for $60 there are lots of tips on how to strengthen it on youtube learn how to fly this while you build another nitro trainer use an instructor range check your radio send it in for repair if needed don't get discouraged.
Greg
Old 01-18-2012, 04:03 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: gmeyer-RCU

If it was the speed of the airplane that contributed to the crash then my suggestion would be to get a hobby king bixler powered glider

Found it......if i can use my 6ex......and fly at a unoccupied park / lands ? No threat of kamikazee-ing the club regulars

ka ching

That slow scale flight appeals to me.....I fancy and gravitate towardshigh wing, cabinedairframes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

When you use your simulator, try it with some wind. I use the Realflight sim and I find it is a very good tool to learn to fly planes and helicopters.
Keep in mind that there is always some wind you have to deal with.
15 mph is a lot for a trainer, even for a 60 size. Not the best conditions for your first flight.
A buddy box helps a lot and is the only way to prevent a crash if you make a mistake. There is no time to hand over the tx when you are in trouble, things happen to fast.
I don't think anybody at that field will look down on you for crashing. That happens to everybody, not just beginners...
If someone would walk around on our field, you'll find enough parts to build a few planes
That is part of the hobby. Get a new plane and try again - with little wind and a buddy box.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
AugerDawger

I understand and am fine with the crash aspect......I knew what happened was wrong.

In retrospect and with the next "instructor" I will not say a flip about flight and that I bought my plane on craigslist and roll with it

i will bail on my gut like I should of last week

Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
AugerDawger

dupe
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM
skeeter_ca

Forget the sim. They don't even come close to "simulating" what it is really like flying an rc plane. Maybe if they connected electric wires to your nads it would make you alittle more nervous.

You probably did the old "reversed controls coming towards you mix up" for just a second and that is enough when flying a nitro. Even 3 mistakes high it doesn't take but a split second to be rekitted. It is probably the biggest problem for new pilots and it does take alot of flying to overcome that. You still don't have the mindset to be ahead of the plane. Your instructor should have been very keen to this problem and expecting it anytime your on a downwind turn.

A bubby box is not the save all training device. You can still crash using one. However a BB gives your instructor that extra 1 1/2 seconds to recover that may just save your plane.

The PT60 is a good sound trainer. Build another and you'll do alot better having learned what you already have.

skeeter
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca
You still don't have the mindset to be ahead of the plane.
skeeter

I fully understand well ahead of the plane.

but nowI see a PT-60 or high wing trainer closesso fastat training paceI'm not sure the mindset required and stress ofstaying ahead of the plane is appealing to me as enjoyment.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Well it WAS your fault but we all crash them.  I've probably set the RCU Guiness Book of Crash Records.  Best advice they gave me was buy cheap planes, don't name them, don't paint them up pretty, don't fall in love with them.  Go fly, crash it, go fly, crash it.  I've given up lots of times but good people here have cheered me on, offered lessons, points and support.  All reasons I have gone out and bought another plane and gotten better over time.  Not that I'm good but I'm still hanging around despite some moderator that hates me.  Get a cheap "experienced" plane, fly it with some instruction, maybe smack it into firewood and you'll get good enough in time.  Keep on the simulator and no it's NOT the real thing but it will help with dexterity training and orientation, all of which come into play in keeping them in the same number of pieces you brought them to the field in. 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Live Wire

I TELL YOU stick with you believe in. Don't give up. If you want a good trainer get a SIG LT40. If you believe in the instructor you have great back him all the way, things happen that even a instructor can not prevent[:@]. One thing I can tell you , You will crash it just is when and where. Still a great Hobby when you get in the grove.
Larry K
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's moving at "a quick pace" and in an out of control fashion... and I hate to beat this to death, but that was the responsibility of your so-called instructor to prevent that from happening.

Throttles are not on-off switches. You should be flying it, with an instructor, at no more than half to three-quarters throttle.. no more. Flying slowly to keep on top of things is very important for new student pilots. It makes such events as preventable rather than inevitable.

CGr.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Throttles are not on-off switches. You should be flying it, with an instructor, at no more than half to three-quarters throttle.. no more. Flying slowly to keep on top of things is very important for new student pilots. It makes such events as preventable rather than inevitable.

CGr.
You bring up great points which made me think about the different mechanical feel and reactions of the RealFlight sim controller and the Futaba Tx...exponential is it? The throttle seemed at half but that PT-60 was kicking itin abanked screaming half circleacrossthe sky towards us.

Totally different feel on the Tx that required instant adaptation in about 20 seconds and three turns of white knuckled flying

good times.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:08 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Oh no, I have a few words for you.
If someone tells you he have not crashed, he is even lying or he doesnt fly. I agree with others the only crash that evrybody laughs is when the most experienced pilot do it. All others are understandable and everybody will be supportive of you.
Then you try to find out why it happened and learn from it.
Second, once you accepted the fact you are going to crash, get a beater, an old used trainer. I bought my first one from the LHS on consigment for $100. It was an old Sig but it tought me how to fly.
Third, my instructor told me on the first lesson, (it was ground schooling, we never flew the first day) that while I was on the buddy box if the plane crashed it was his responsibility and he will fix it, or repair it at no cost. That will make you as comfortable as with the simulator and the reset button.
All that said, get the old used plane, go back to the same flying field, get an instructor with a BB and learn the right way so you can stay with us for yrs to come, because we already like you
Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Get the old used plane, go back to the same flying field, get an instructor with a BB and learn the right way so you can stay with us for yrs to come, because we already like you
Appreciate it.

I am going to look into the other field and see what they to offer.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

If it's moving at ''a quick pace'' and in an out of control fashion... and I hate to beat this to death, but that was the responsibility of your so-called instructor to prevent that from happening.

CGr.
For sure! When I was learning, it was on a B.B. and no more than half throttle, with constant attention from my p.f.i ( professional flight instructor).Please engage a different p.f.i with a B.B. and the results will be in your favor. Like previously mentioned, go back to the same club and hold your head up! we have all been there and done that, and all still crash on occasion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.