Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

putting a Pitts muffler on a stik

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

putting a Pitts muffler on a stik

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Admiral052

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting a Pitts muffler on a stik

So one of my hates in RC glow is dealing with the oil covering my wing when done flying. I know just come with it and go to electric if I hate it but that is not the option. The engine I am using is a .46 O.S AX ABL on a .40 GP Stik

If I mount the engine in the regular position and use a pitts muffler so it exits at the 6 oclock position, will this drastically reduce the oil going on the plane?

What are some other solutions to reduce this. Also I tried those rubber attachments for the muffler and the damn thing fell off in three flights.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: putting a Pitts muffler on a stik

The down side to glow is the oil.....next time you use a deflector....rough up the muffler with a file or heavy grit sand paper...clean it with alcohol and the use plyers to pull the zip tye...wioll a pits style muffler help.... not really will just put the oil in a different place......the answer is go gas
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Turning the engine sideways so the exhaust can point down with a deflector is as good as it gets. My stick still gets some oil on it, but it's mostly on the bottom of the fuselage and on the tail.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

The down side to glow is the oil.....next time you use a deflector....rough up the muffler with a file or heavy grit sand paper...clean it with alcohol and the use plyers to pull the zip tye...wioll a pits style muffler help.... not really will just put the oil in a different place......the answer is go gas
Yup, like he said.

The oil in the fuel will cause you to loose deflectors unless you do something to prevent that.

I've also put a small ring of JB weld on the outside of an exhaust port, to give the deflector something to bite into, when attached with a couple of very tight ZIP ties.

I REALLY wish the manufacturers would simply design in something like this.

Deflecting the exhaust to the bottom of the plane seems to work best for me.

Upward facing deflectors tend to get the tail full of oil during stunts.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Admiral052

If I mount the engine in the regular position and use a pitts muffler so it exits at the 6 oclock position, will this drastically reduce the oil going on the plane?

Those Pitts style mufflers aren't cheap. You might spend $45 bucks or more for one. A better solution would be to mount the engine with the head sticking out the side. Now the stock muffler will be located at the 6 o'clock position and well beneath the belly. Of course, you will need to reroute your throttle cable, but that really isn't that big of a job.