Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My friend wants a cool looking starter plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My friend wants a cool looking starter plane.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 PM
takevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My friend wants a cool looking starter plane.

Let the guy learn the hard way serve him right.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
oil_can_harry
My Feedback: (2)

I am not a trainer, just a flyer. My brother had been flying for 15 years and got
Me interested in the hobby. I built my first plane, a pt-40 high wing trainer. Took me forever to build, but I finally got it together, did a fair job on the monokote,installed a 40x entail and was as proud as a new father of my plane. I flew on a trainer cord for about an hour and just marveled that it flew without any issues other than I little fine tuning. We were about done with flying mine and he was wanting to fly his moonraker, so he took over and was circling to bleed of some flight when suddenly the wing broke in half and the rest drilled into the ground. The 2 wing halves drifted to the ground, and we were both staring at what was left of my beautiful plane that I spent hours and hours building. My brother felt really bad and I just couldn't believe that it was just a bunch of broken sticks  left of my creation. I had to come to the realization that all planes have a expiration date and not get too attached to any of them. My brother did give me another plane as he felt as bad as me. Only thing we could figure out is I didn't get the wing halves glued together as well as I thought I did. I really think you need him to understand that anything can go wrong at any time, and he is creating more problems for you and him over the plane he wants. Try your best to explain to him that a trainer is called a trainer for a reason. They are more forgiving when you make a mistake but still are fun to fly. I have a sky raider Mach 1 trainer that I still enjoy flying. I just tweaked it up a little with more throw on the controls , and it is fun to fly and it is a good looking plane.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: takevin

Let the guy learn the hard way serve him right.
Is that what your instructors did to you??
Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: dgholmes59

Warbirds are hard to fly as a beginner.
Depends on the beginner. Iflew my trainer a fair bit and got into a sport aircraft with a low wing and retracts and flew the snot out of it until it met its end when I was doing hammerheads 20ft off the ground because I had flown it so much I got bored with it. Warbirds are certainly not for ALLbeginners but some can pick it up quick, like I was fortunate to.

My point was that the tail dragger taught me to use rudder, not that a beginner can pick up a warbird right after a few flights on a tail dragger, I guess my wording left you to believe that was what I meant.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
1320Fastback

Cool looking trainerish plane..... Jeff Troys TameCat!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As a teacher, you take the lead gently toward a goal. You do your friend no favor by leaving him to make decisions he has no experience in.

All training should be on a four channel plane. Three channel planes are a waste of the teachers time. It is your time to waste so that decision is up to you.

my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

At the same time though there are those few headstrong hobbyists who simply won't take direction, so trying to tell them anything is just going to push them away. If a guy showed up to training day with a P51 and insisted that that was the plane he was going to learn on, I'd give him the disclaimer that his chances weren't as good with it and I might not be able to save him from some mistakes like I could with a trainer. Then I'd buddy box him and hope for the best. If he crashed it, I'd then ask him if he'd like to try a plane that's a bit more forgiving.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple nebees scratch building a tidewater pronto in another forum .It was my first plane and trainer 30 years ago but i built my new one with ail when i found the plans and it was easy to do . The 3 channel 20 to 25 nitro size is a great little trainer even though it is a low wing plane it has tons of diheadral .The only catch is there are no more kits you have to build it your self. We have one building it in foam but the rest are balsa . If you would like to give it a try every thing is on the plans and if you need help just pm me and i would be glad to help you through it. joe
Attached Images    
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ga76400.pdf (1,007.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lokihaus lets take a look at this from the other side of the coin just for a moment. This concerns you and it makes no differance what your friends abilitys may or may not be.

This is certainly not an attack on your abilitys at all you see the ability to operate a buddy system safely has nothing to do with how good a pilot you are. Many times the hot shots make terrible instructors and simply cannot stand there and hold that trigger. And I am not even talking about the most important parts of instruction such as the fundimentals of instruction along with the anaylisis and performance of manuvers. What most first time instructors will do is stand there and fly the sticks without ever letting go of that trigger as the students airplane spins into the ground.

When I introduce someone into the joys of flight instruction (they do not have to be long time pilots or hot shots) I always do it on the buddy boxs with them using the hot trigger. This going through typical screw ups. This always takes more than just one flight.

Problem is you are asking if you can perform as an instructor (a performance which does indeed carry certain responsibilities) cold turkey and with an inappropriate trainer to start with?

The chances for success in this endeavor no matter where or what you fly are slim.

John

Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
FLYINGTOM2
My Feedback: (7)

Get a Multiplex product!! IMHO

When I started flying I had my fair share of crashes with Balsa planes. Literally 3 planes up 3 planes down and back home for some time consuming fixes. It's not so much what plane is a good one to be instructed on it's what plane is good and will also survive all those Post-solo mishaps you are bound to have when you're on your own flying without your co-pilot. I didn't get a Multiplex plane until I needed some electrics for a local "quiet" field and wish I had known about Multiplex while training.

What I have found is the Multiplex products are very, very durable. I have crashed my Minimag many times and even cart-wheeled down the runway with hardly a scratch. Just last week a new guy turned on his radio on the same channel (didn't even check for his pin) and I literally fell out of the sky at about 50 feet and suffered only a broken prop. With reg CA a fix can be made most times instantaneously at field and you could keep flying. More time flying is the key your friends success. Quick turn around after the inevitable crash means everything. You know get back right back on the horse...

I have 3 Multiplex planes two are "trainer" types - a Minimag and a Magister and although I don't fly the big one much I fly the the Minimag just about every time I go out. It is a hoot to fly, not really a trainer with hotter brushless and 4ch but as a 3 channel it was very tame a great flyer and even good wind plane... Magister is a *****cat - many who have flown it are very impressed with how stable it is.

In comparison I have a couple of Durastiks known for being the "Indestructible" trainer. Yes it is truly a durable plane but hardly a trainer with that flat wing and I have crashed and done considerable damage over the years but it does survive and can be rebuilt most of the time. Definitely not indestructible though.

Building a wood kit is a great pleasure but as a first plane that most certainly will crash it can be discouraging. Why not start building the kit or ARF while learning on a cheap used beater or a durable foamy.

Get a Multiplex... Possibly look at the Cub or Mentor and don't let the foam design stop you they are well designed, they fly like intended and very, very durable. Many can be enhanced easily with hotter brushless motors and increased throws for later. So IMHO not a dead end either.

More flight time = Success

Just my 2ΒΆ

Tom
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 PM
N52961

KQQL PLANE for a beginner?

<o></o>

A cool plane for a beginner [Nimrod] is a plate that looks just as good going out to the field as when coming home from the field. The only time a plane should be in a plastic bag is when it is coming from the Hobby Shop.

<o></o>

Take your 20 years of experience and smack him up-side the head with it.

Tell him to give you $200 so when he plants the plane 6 inched into the ground it will REALLY hurt. Since he does not want to listen to you he must be rich or dumb or both.

<o></o>

He would like an electric.<o></o>

>>>Electric is GOOD – Nothing wrong there.<o></o>

He would like to build a balsa plane from a kit.<o></o>

>>> Building is GREAT! He will learn, and invest TIME which cannot be returned. >>>So maybe he will listen to you.<o></o>

He would like to keep it smaller than a .40 size kit, more like a .1-.2.<o></o>

>>> WRONG – WRONG – WRONG – BIGGER IS BETTER. You want a plane that is >>>stable. Easy to see. Different pattern on the Top and Bottom of the wings.<o></o>

>>>I would recommend nothing less than a .40 or even a .60.<o></o>

>>>I made the SMALL mistake years ago. It took me a LONG – LONG time to learn.<o></o>

>>>Take my 40 Years of R/C experience and save time and money.<o></o>

He would like a plane that doesn't look like a lame trainer.
>>> Then have him build a WWII Piper Cub as a L19 in military colors and with <o></o>

>>> WORKING Bomb Drop.<o></o>

>>> Or do a real fancy color scheme.<o></o>

<o></o>

>>> Also, Building a tail dragger is an easy build since you do not have to mess around with all that linkage going to the nose-wheel. The only down side is a bad landing results in a busted prop. Easier to replace a prop than rebuild the nose of a plane. Shorter time also.

<o></o>

Barry