Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

where should i start?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

where should i start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: where should i start?

Hi!
A high winged plane isn't always a CUB! A CUB isn't a particularly good trainer as it has a straight wing , newbie planes should have some dihedral.
Like the Kyosho "Calmato" .40!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nave88

I'm not exactly a beginner i have been flying helis for the past two years and had an accident that lost my heli... forever lets just say the river swallowed it[img][/img].
After losing my heli I've desided i am goign to give helis a break and take up model airplanes. i do own and use the phoenix sim also have a um t28. I can fly pretty well on the sim (figure eights, loops, rolls, inverted, and of course can land. Flying the um is great fun i can fly it just fine and land with complete confidence.

What i need help figuring out is where to go now I really want a larger model. I've been looking at more parkzone planes like the f4f wildcat. The only bummer about that beautiful looking bird is that it's hand launch and belly land. Gear would be nice. Would it be in my best intrest to look into getting a cub style model before going straight for a scale warbird I'd hate to crash right off the bat. If these larger planes are anything like helis, the sim doesn't mean anything just teaches you orientation.

I'm new to RCU any addvise will be more helpful. Thanks Guys
Myself and other members in our club have been flying the Wildcat for a couple of years now. Very easy to hand launch, cause it practically flies out of your hand. No problems landing either.

Only repair made to mine in two years, was that the tail wheel was coming loose. And in those two years, have never even dinged a prop.

Wildcat is highly recommended and a lot of fun. Easy to fly, just like a trainer.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nave88:

To be blunt, you're a beginner. You're saying all of the things that are typical of a beginner. The advice you've gotten thus far is, for the most part, solid. Those that have been flying a while have seen a lot and have witnessed what works and what doesn't when it comes to a beginner pilot. Are there exceptions? Sure. But if you play the odds, you're best off taking the traditional approach.

1. Get a quality trainer aircraft. You'll find plenty of options in electric since that seems to be you're preference.
2. Accept the fact that your first plane won't be some cool warbird or acrobat. You'll learn faster and move out of the trainer soon enough.
3. Find a good club with good instructors. Talk to club members who recently soloed and listen to their experiences with their instructor.
4. Consider a simulator to work on your skills. Don't expect it to teach you to fly.
5. Fly. Have fun. Repeat - over and over and over again...
Old 02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
johnnycap18

I suggest getting an Eflite Apprentice 15e.  It was my first plane and i love it, flys really smooth and stable and i am only 13 years old. I will provide a link to it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-radio-EFL2725

or the plug and play version

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-pnp-EFL2900

Which ever one you choose they are both great.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Agreed, but finding an original Goldberg Falcon, ARF or even a kit, is gonna be tough. The closest you'll get (easily) is a really nice plane; the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTM8&P=7]Great Planes Easy Sport[/link] 'Shoulder mount' wing is a nice compromise between high & mid, it has a bit of dihedral, which helps steady things. Many people have said it's a good plane to learn on.

You sound kinda like me...wanting something that can be fun well after you learn the basics. Take a look at my "Semi-Symmetrical Trainer..." thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10901324/tm.htm LOTS of non-flat-bottomed wing options are discussed, including the Stiks. Take a look at the World Models Mach I, too.

Good Luck!

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Try to find a Falcon 56 manufactured by the ''Goldberg'' or a clone of this airframe. I believe GP sells an electric version.