Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

where should i start?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

where should i start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 AM
nave88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where should i start?

I'm not exactly a beginner i have been flying helis for the past twoyears and had an accident that lost my heli... forever lets just say the river swallowed it.
After losing my heli I've desided i am goign to give helis a break and take up model airplanes. i do own and use the phoenix sim also have a um t28. I can fly pretty well on the sim (figure eights, loops, rolls, inverted, and of course can land. Flying the um is great fun i can fly it just fine and land with complete confidence.

What i need help figuring out is where to go now I really want a larger model. I've been looking at more parkzone planes like the f4f wildcat. The only bummer about that beautiful looking bird is that it's hand launch and belly land. Gear would be nice. Would it be in my best intrest to look into getting a cub style model before going straight for a scale warbird I'd hate to crash right off the bat. If these larger planes are anything like helis, the sim doesn't mean anything just teaches you orientation.

I'm new to RCU any addvise will be more helpful. Thanks Guys
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: where should i start?

Problem is NAVE everyone has just gotta have that cool warbird for a first airplane well lets just say the industry just loves that since folks go through so many of them, most without ever having acheved their goals. Lets just say they ended up in the river.

Get appropriate trainer and get a real live hands on mentor.

John
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
levram1

I second John's opinion!!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
nave88

Thanks John so it would be in my best intrest to look into getting a cub? From what i understand the high wings are the trainers. Growing up i used to fly alcoholnitro mix high wings withmy dad in colorado springs.I was taught by aguy named IvanMuningham few might knowhim, he passed just after we moved to oregon. Anywayswhat would be a good trainer that i wont be bored with to quickly? The high wings we flew were all balsa i didnt realize how big foam has become till past few weeks. i dont have the time to be putting a balsa together at moment being 24 with a full time job restricts me from that. Sorry for rambling theres just so many questions and other things to talk about.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
ES CONTROL

The  sim.  is a +      Now you need a instructor or a friend to help you. Do you have anyone?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
nave88

I dont know anyone else whom flies.I learned collective pitch helies with my sim and crash after pack after crash...ect. i understand plane are a completely diferent ballpark then what im used to it's been almost ten years since i had a larger plane in the air i feel like basics will be the right way to approch this not knowing anyone in southern oregon.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: nave88

I dont know anyone else whom flies.

That is only because you have not looked, There is help everywhere and I beleve their is a wonderfull field and club right in your town. Check at the ama website club locator.

I primarily only teach and mentor in Glow so you need to decide whether or not you want to go electric or glow? If Electric I do very much like the Great planes Sensei. In Glow I only teach with my equipment for the most part and that consists of the OS .35AX powered Senior Kadet using the Aurora 9 buddy cord systems which has considerble advantages over most other (not all) buddy systems.

John
Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
nave88

I'm going to sticking with electric for the time being maybe at some point I'll go glow.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 AM
JohnBuckner

Y'll got a bunch of help and clubs in Medford, here you go just type in Medford:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
nave88

Thanks again john I will look into the rouge eagles I've heard of the guys but never payed much attention cause from what I understand about them they don't take kindly to heli flyers at their club so i was never intrested. Im still wondering what would be a good style of plane to start looking towards. I'm not one to just buy the first thing I see. I want to shop around and see whats out there, what will suitme the best at the moment. is there a specific brand i should pay attention to or stay away from? Just looking for ideas.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 AM
snurckle

Thanks John so it would be in my best intrest to look into getting a cub? From what i understand the high wings are the trainers. Growing up i used to fly alcohol nitro mix high wings with my dad in colorado springs. I was taught by a guy named Ivan Muningham few might know him, he passed just after we moved to oregon. Anyways what would be a good trainer that i wont be bored with to quickly? The high wings we flew were all balsa i didnt realize how big foam has become till past few weeks. i dont have the time to be putting a balsa together at moment being 24 with a full time job restricts me from that. Sorry for rambling theres just so many questions and other things to talk about.

Nave -
Personal opinion- don't get a cub- if by that you mean a Piper Cub. The reason I say this is because it is prone to "tip stalls", especially on takeoff. All high wings are not trainers- but if you want a high wing, stable aircraft, that can prove to be both beginner and intermediate - look at the Top Flite 40 and 60 sized "Big Stiks".
Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
nave88

I'd prefer a mid wing being on the more acrobatic side but I'm not sure that would be the best route for myself quite yet, thats why i was thinking of highwing.Isn't 40 and 60 glow size motors what would that be considered as an electric?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
snurckle

I'd prefer a mid wing being on the more acrobatic side but I'm not sure that would be the best route for myself quite yet, thats why i was thinking of highwing. Isn't 40 and 60 glow size motors what would that be considered as an electric?
40 and 60 would be considered Nitro, probably fairly easy to figure out what you could do for an electric conversion. The "Stik" series of planes are very well mannered, and can be set up for acrobatics/3D as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
nave88

Thanks snurkle does "stik" litteraly mean its made of Sticks like balsa?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
snurckle

Yes, it's made of balsa, but already built.

Here's a link for an Electrifly Stik-

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTZ8&P=ML]Great Planes ElectroStik EP Rx-R 52.5"[/link]

Perhaps I didn't read your initial post well- Where are you planning on flying your plane at? A club or a park?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's really no need to go the trainer route since you've already gotten competent on the little T-28. If anything, you'll find that bigger planes are easier to fly in many ways. They aren't affected by the wind as much, they are easier to see, and their control response is smoother. The bigger T-28 foamy would be a sensible step for you, and it can do basic aerobatics. I love Sticks for a general purpose sport plane in any size also. They handle the wind very well and are extremely forgiving, yet can do any aerobatic maneuver you can think of besides snaps and spins.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
nave88

Thanks for the link. I will be fyting at the park mostly untill I can become a member of the club. There is afew very large openareas to fly at here.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
mike109

G'day

To answer your question about "Sticks" - The original "Stick" Was "Das Ugly Stick" which was designed by Phil Kraft way back in the 1970s. He designed it to be a test plane for his radio gear. It looks slightly like a Fokker Eindekker fighter of World War I and they are often decorated up to mimic those planes.

The Stick or Stik is a mid wing plane. They are quite aerobatic, stable when they need to be and fly extremely well. I suspect you would like one. There are many versions around. The Great Planes Big Sticks come in 40 and 60 sizes, World Models makes two sizes of its Super Stunts and Hanger 9 made several versions.

I have a GP Big Stick 40 with a Jett 46 engine in it. The engine is total overkill but it sure goes. I had another with a Chinese 61 four stroke and that flew well.

Way back when, when I was trying to learn to land, I had a Stick and it was great for me at that stage. They are not trainers but they are close and can do more than most trainers.

They have gone out of favour because they look a bit weird. But they fly far better than many "cool" planes. Now everyone wants a warbird or an Extra or Sukhoi 54 but the Stick is a better plane for someone starting out but not really a beginner.

I also support John's comments. Find a club, find a person who will help you and you will be fine.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Cubs" don't tip stall only the pilot in control creates this situation.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:52 PM
flycatch

Try to find a Falcon 56 manufactured by the "Goldberg" or a clone of this airframe. I believe GP sells an electric version.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
snurckle

ORIGINAL: flycatch

''Cubs'' don't tip stall only the pilot in control creates this situation.
I agree, but the Cub is "prone" to tip stalls, especially on take-off when under ground effect. The Piper Cub is a plane with a lot of wing area, and rounded wing tips. What typically happens (on takeoff) is the aircraft gets airborne while in ground effect, and the pilot believes the aircraft has the right amount of airspeed- once it comes out of ground effect, with a wingtip low, it stalls. Pilots that understand this will be seen gaining airspeed low to the ground prior to applying up altitude, with gear off the ground.

Ground effect can be best explained by the distance from wing tip to wing tip, measured above the ground. So, if a airplane has a wingspan that is 80" long- the first 80" above ground are considered ground effect- an area where less airspeed will produce more lift than normal- once out of that airspace- the basic rules of aerodynamics apply.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
flycatch

Airspeed is your god and this applies to models also. Unless student pilots, especially those attemting to fly trail draggers, have a competent instructor they more than likely will crash while attempting takeoff. The runway I fly from is 800 ft long and I use about 1/4 of it in a prototypical takeoff. Once the wheels depart from the runway the climb is shallow and straight ahead until I reach my desired altitude. Using this method is akin to flying the real one and tip stalls never come into the scenario. Flying scale models is something you approach with caution and respect.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I agree, but the Cub is "prone" to tip stalls, especially on take-off when under ground effect.
Respectfully disagree. Cubs are some of the most forgiving aircraft made. Aerobatic aircraft, especially those with high wing loading and symmetrical airfoils, are more prone to tip stall. You'd really have to work at it to make a Cub tip stall.

Hobbyzone makes a very nice electric Super Cub trainer, uses a 3S 1300 ma pack. The radio is 27 mhz though, 2.4 Ghz is the best choice for a modern set-up, then 72 Mhz. It's a foam plane, which do well in light winds.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/index/index_park_flyers_rtf/HBZ7300.html

The Stick-type planes can be set up mild or wild, so you could start with one and grow into it. This is on I have, it's a lot of fun and can be flown in moderate winds easily:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/index/index_park_flyers_arf/EFL4025.html

Another nice stick-type:

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/index/index_park_flyers_arf/GPMA1574.html
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

A cub flies nice and slow, is forgiving like any other trainer. They can be nasty on the ground, that is what makes them a little more complicated.
For the first plane , a 40 to 60 size high wing plane with a nose wheel is a good way to start.
Some wind won't bother it like a small electric.
And the simulator is a good way to learn.
Then by all means - find a club and join, these guys will help you out and there is always someone who has a nice used trainer for sale.

I went the same route first the simulator, then for a while helicopters and then I went to airplanes, joined a club, moved up from a trainer on the buddy box  to an Extra 300 in just about a month and I don't regret doing it this way.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 AM
BobbyMcGee

The best place to start is at the beginning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.