Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First ARF (newb to airplanes)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First ARF (newb to airplanes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
collegeboye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ARF (newb to airplanes)

I have been flying rc helicopters for over 5 years now and am proficient at mild 3d. I can control a heli in all orientations comfortably. My largest heil is a Trex 700N. I am looking at getting into the airplane niche now. I dont want to but 10 different airplanes to "train" on and then buy a more expensive and capable airplane. I did this with heli's and found that I wasted alot of money in the begining buying Coax helis, then fixed pitch, then small 3d electrics up to large nitros. I found that smaller heli's are generally less exciting and more difficult to control. I am thinking the same is true of airplanes. I am looking to buy a gasser 30cc ARF from goldwing or redwing in the next few months. I have had tons of time on the sim with airplanes and find them not as challenging to 3d as a heli.
I am just seeking an experienced opinion on if it sounds feasable for me to go large scale for first plane build? I have contacted a local airplane club to join just for setup verification/tips and a place to fly.
Do you guys think it is absolutely necesary that flyers start with small high wing trainers and then move up to larger scales even if i have had 100+ hours sim and small airplane experience coupled with 5+ years of 3d heli flight?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: First ARF (newb to airplanes)

I say do the big trainer. You may get bored with it after a while and you can sell it, or keep it kickin around for those days when you feel like something easy. Or, if a buddy is interested, you can train him up on it.
If you are interested in a large trainer ARF, take a peek at this.

http://www.maxfordusa.com/mentor-g26cctrainer.aspx

might be just the ticket!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having gone from electric to nitro heli's to planks, if I was to do it again, I would NOT get a trainer plank, I'd rather go for a good "2nd plane" like a Great Planes Revolver (the larger one), or a Hangar 9 Pulse 60 (or 125) - a DLE20 in either of them would be my choice (re flight times, simplicity, cost of running and POWER!!!!! - lol).
I would still have a few buddy box sessions till your comfortable - but that would only be to get the feel of a plane as they do feel different re the way they fly, and get you to the point your happy landing.
Others may disagree, but that is just how I felt after only one flight of my trainer, and that feeling of "you've just wasted money dopey" just sucked!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 AM
Johnnysplits

ORIGINAL: collegeboye

I have been flying rc helicopters for over 5 years now and am proficient at mild 3d. I can control a heli in all orientations comfortably. My largest heil is a Trex 700N. I am looking at getting into the airplane niche now. I dont want to but 10 different airplanes to "train" on and then buy a more expensive and capable airplane. I did this with heli's and found that I wasted alot of money in the begining buying Coax helis, then fixed pitch, then small 3d electrics up to large nitros. I found that smaller heli's are generally less exciting and more difficult to control. I am thinking the same is true of airplanes. I am looking to buy a gasser 30cc ARF from goldwing or redwing in the next few months. I have had tons of time on the sim with airplanes and find them not as challenging to 3d as a heli.
I am just seeking an experienced opinion on if it sounds feasable for me to go large scale for first plane build? I have contacted a local airplane club to join just for setup verification/tips and a place to fly.
Do you guys think it is absolutely necesary that flyers start with small high wing trainers and then move up to larger scales even if i have had 100+ hours sim and small airplane experience coupled with 5+ years of 3d heli flight?

pm sent
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I assume you are member of a club! True?

A very good low wing aerobatic trainer is the Kyosho Calmato Sports! Suitable engines for it is a .46 two stroke engine.Ordinary standard servos can be used.

Big aerobatic gassers are easy to fly as they fly soo slowly but they requiers a big car and cost more.

Soo what is your goal?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Given your situation I'd suggest starting with a giant scale Stick. Sticks are aerobatic planes with symmetrical airfoils but with stall resistant wings and slightly larger than necessary tails. That makes them extremely stable in wind and extremely forgiving of bad piloting, but there's not an aerobatic maneuver they can't do aside from snaps and spins. As you get into the plane hobby, there will be days when you just want to relax or have a plane you don't worry much about on the really windy days, and that's when the stick will come in handy after you're flying a Yak or Edge for serious 3D.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Collegeboy, Why don't you just build the 30cc gasser? bring it to the field and have a competent instructor check it out and
maiden it, Get on the buddy box with that. If it seems too hard to fly (which I doubt it will) see if the club has a trainer
you can use to break yourself in. No reason to buy a bunch of planes if you already have alot of experience. I realize
that this breaks form traditional training technique but if you can fly a heli that good, COming over to planes will be
easy.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM
kenh3497

Buddy box with an instructor and have that person evaluate your skills. Make a decision from there. May only take 8 or 10 flights to find your way. As mentioned, I would think you will transition relatively easy to planes.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
collegeboye

Thanks for all the input.  I figured that my heli experience would make my transition easier and I just wanted to get a second opinion.  I looked at all the recommended options and they all look good.  I am joining a new club when I get back to the states.  I already make contact with the club president and will be joining. I am currently deployed and got a wild hair and decided to look at some large scale airplanes and fell in love with the 3d capable gassers.  I was initially planning on building another 90class help but can build a nice 30class airplane for cheaper.  I have peaked in my heli progression and want a different challenge.  

I think I am going to see if I can get someone to buddy box with just to take the pucker factor off the first few flights.  

Thanks guys and I look forward to updating you on my progress.

V/R 

Leon
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Given your situation I'd suggest starting with a giant scale Stick. Sticks are aerobatic planes with symmetrical airfoils but with stall resistant wings and slightly larger than necessary tails. That makes them extremely stable in wind and extremely forgiving of bad piloting, but there's not an aerobatic maneuver they can't do aside from snaps and spins. As you get into the plane hobby, there will be days when you just want to relax or have a plane you don't worry much about on the really windy days, and that's when the stick will come in handy after you're flying a Yak or Edge for serious 3D.
Ibid on the Stik.

I had a heli guy going to planes for the first time, ask the same question last year and I let him fly my stick ( with a buddy box ).

He only needed two or three flights to get acclimated to flying planes.

I talked him through imaginary landings on the first flight and let him land it ( VERY SLOWLY ) on the second.

After that about a half dozen touch and goes and he was good to go.

Two weeks later he shows up with his own Big Stik 60 and he's been loving it ever since.

He agrees that it was the best choice for a heli guy stepping up ( ) to planes....

Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

I forgot about the Stik.. I can't disagree with the other fellas that have recommended that!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: collegeboye

Thanks for all the input. I figured that my heli experience would make my transition easier and I just wanted to get a second opinion. I looked at all the recommended options and they all look good. I am joining a new club when I get back to the states. I already make contact with the club president and will be joining. I am currently deployed and got a wild hair and decided to look at some large scale airplanes and fell in love with the 3d capable gassers. I was initially planning on building another 90class help but can build a nice 30class airplane for cheaper. I have peaked in my heli progression and want a different challenge.

I think I am going to see if I can get someone to buddy box with just to take the pucker factor off the first few flights.

Thanks guys and I look forward to updating you on my progress.

V/R

Leon

You have your head screwed on straight! Welcome to the addiction.... Oh, you already know about that from your heli experience

Thank you for serving for your country. [sm=thumbup.gif] Stay safe in the mean time.

Ken
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Jaka, as I told you several weeks ago, Kyosho doesn't sell the Calmato in the USA. Here are the only nitro planes it sells here: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/GP-PLANES-_c_70.html

ORIGINAL: jaka

A very good low wing aerobatic trainer is the Kyosho Calmato Sports! Suitable engines for it is a .46 two stroke engine.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have mastered something that most if not all fixed winged pilots avoid. Usually fixed winged pilots transition to rotary wing but you are the exception. You have mastered the rudder and the rest is history. Pick any plane you want as your primary airframe and see if you can get an hour of stick time on a pattern aircraft or something similar. This should be a walk in the park for you and don't get misled by the fixed wing crowd. I transition from fixed to rotary wing and it was a learning experience but in your case the opposite will occur.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
collegeboye

Just wanted to say thanks for the input!!  It was good to get so many quick replies and suggestions.  I will be posting updates and probably asking a few questions once I get home and get my ARF ordered.  

@ Ken.. Its my pleasure serving this country and I would like to thank you for your support.  

V/r

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
DenverJayhawk

what's funny about the Big Stik is I've heard some people say it flies so well and easily that it teaches you bad habits because then you think all planes should be this easy to land which consists of:
A. Line it up
B. Cut throttle
C. Enjoy the perfect landings each and every time
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
jester_s1

That's true about the stick. It doesn't teach bad habits, but it is so tolerant of bad piloting that pilots can get into trouble using the same techniques on more advanced planes. But if a flyer uses it to learn graceful, shallow approaches and smooth throttle management while enjoying it's forgiving nature when flaring too soon or bouncing one in, it serves its purpose well.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 AM
levram1

Do they make the Stick in an electric option? If so, who would carry it?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not with the ugly stick vertical but none the less the ultra stick varients are classic sticks.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
jester_s1

You can power an ARF with anything you want. Converting a stick built for glow to use electric power would entail building a box mount for your motor and making a simple cradle for your battery and a hatch to get it in and out. With a little luck, the plane will balance right with the battery in the fuel tank area.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: levram1

Do they make the Stick in an electric option? If so, who would carry it?
Yes they do....

See this link: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTN8&P=ML]Ugly Stik - Click me![/link]