Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting started, on a budget, with a size limit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting started, on a budget, with a size limit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
flyfisher117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started, on a budget, with a size limit

I need to get an RC Plane now.

Yesterday I went out with my buddy who has a HobbyZone SuperCub I beleive it was the DSM model. Ive never flown RC planes or really every seriously flown on a simulator. (Few times with friends trying the hardest and most advanced planes on it.) Anyways my buddy let me take control of his SuperCub after he got it airborn. I only did a few circles left and right and attempted a backflip. (not enough throtle) He only had one battery so my flight time was cut short, but boy was it fun!

Im working with a slight budget, $200 is my very max for plane and controller, $50 more for extra battery and parts. I also have a size limit. I would LOVE a Super Cub with the Spektrum controller but its too big I would need a hangar to store it . Im off to college at the end of this summer so I would like one small enough to take with me.

Im really liking the looks of the HobbyZone Champ, its small, light, and if im not mistaking can be stored in its box. The controller looks iffy but looks good enough to at least get me started. Parts also seem to be fairly inexpensive and they are sold in town if I cant for some reason get them on line. Where I currently live we have wind only maybe 3-4 times a month so Im not worried about the plane getting blown around. Where im going to college may have wind but I will worry about that later. The only thing that I have seen so far with the Champ is that the main wing is attached only by double sided tape, and when you remove it the fuesalage will kind of get beat up. But from what Ive read the Champ flys like the SuperCub

Im looking at the HobbyZone Mini SuperCub. Its wing is held on with rubber bands which I like, its wings are about as big as I want to go but from what I have read it is a fast plane and is very touchy and twitchy.

Thoughts on the two planes above? Any other planes in the size range of the Champ that are better?

Also Will a plane such as the Champ "train" me? Will it give me experience so that I might possibly be able to upgrade to a bit more challenging or different style of plane? Or is it considered a "toy" and useless for gaining any experience with?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Getting started, on a budget, with a size limit

I can answer some of the above:

Little planes are all twitchy. That's just one of the tradeoffs for the small size.

The Champ is well proven but may not have the durability you are looking for. The mini-super Cub would probably hold up better.

These little 3 channel deals won't train you for say a serious aerobatic plane, but any stick time is progress. You won't learn to land right for glow powered planes, you won't learn to manage your speed the same or recover from stalls, and you won't be able to do any aerobatics beyond small loops and maybe a stall turn. But to take 30 minutes to go out to a field and enjoy tooling around, they'll be fine. When you're in a position to invest the money and space on a more serious plane, you'll at least know how to make turns and read how the wind is affecting the plane. If you're talking about going to more serious park flyers, you're starting in the right place to learn orientation so that you can manage models with no self-righting characteristics later.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 AM
flyfisher117

Space and money are the big factors here. Less money I spend the happier the wallet is. Smaller the plane, better the chances for me to take it to college with me. (just dont see parking a plane with a 40" wing span in a dorm.)

Just looking at getting my foot in the door, testing it all out and making sure its a hobby I like. Say I got a little foam 3ch plane flew it, and got to where I was comfortable with it and knew its limitations would I have much of an issue with a 4ch foam plane?

What durability issues would be different from the Champ to the Mini super cub? The wings look to be different thickness but is there anything else im not seeing? I figured the champ was light enough that it would take a decently hard crash to damage it too bad.

I just dont want to get a stupid little "toy" plane. or anything with quality like the Air Hogs Havoc Helicopters have.

Im going to try to make it to town just to see if I can find both and maybe more for sale just to get a hands on look and see them in person.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 AM
jester_s1

Space certainly is at a premium at college, as is time. Your only issue will be that the tiny planes can't tolerate wind. If smoke won't rise straight up, you will probably have trouble as a beginner.

On the durability topic, I'm going to honestly say that you're thinking backwards. A plane can fly well or crash well, but not both. You plan for good flights, and if you don't feel confident in that you don't take off. That said, I don't have any experience with the Champ but I know the Super Cub can take a beating.

As for transitioning, adding the 4th channel gives you something else to think about and a way to get yourself into tougher positions to get out of, but the mechanics of flight are the same. It's a well traveled path to start with a 3 channel dihedral plane and move to a 4 channel flat wing plane, so you should do fine. What I'd worry about more is you trying to fly a model that isn't set up right or is out of trim. For help there, you'll need an experienced pilot to do your first flight for you so that you can start with a properly flying plane. A single one hour lesson with an experienced pilot will likely save you 5 hours of wasted flying time and repairs, not to mention money spent and accelerated wear on your plane caused by bad takeoffs and landings. Contact the clubs in your area and see if an instructor will meet with you for a tweak and tune session.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Villa

As an other mentioned, the Champ is a very small plane, and small planes are very twitchy. A larger plane would be a little easier to learn with. I don't follow the new foam planes enough to make a recommendation, but I suggest using them. Also, use an instructor and a trainer chord.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
flyfisher117

So I've looked for clubs in my area and found 2 or 3 of them but they dont have any contact info and when I look them up on the forums they seem to have either died off or just quit usuing the forums because the last posts were back in 2004. For the couple of people that said they are still flying they all seem to be about 2 hours away from me in a town that I have no clue how to Navigate. Looks to be that right now Im running solo unless I happen to find a group. Hopefully I can make it to HobbyTown or something and check out the cork board and see if there are any club listings there.

Where im living right now we seriously dont get wind. Im up in the mountains down in a little bowl with pine trees all over the place so what wind we do get is very weak maybe enough to wiggle a hair on your head but thats about it. When it does get windy its not really a wind as much as a breeze. Where im going to school I have no idea but I would imagine they get their share of wind. Its all flat open farm land then the town is right in the middle of it. There is a ton of trees in town so that might help difuse some of it.

Ok makes sense what your saying with the durability. I wish I could get a plane built like the SuperCub but with a wingspan thats about 10" shorter and an overall length thats shorter. But my buddies you could tell has been through a lot, the main wing and elevators had chips and dings that he was able to fix with packing tape. and IMHO the plane seemed to be flying just fine. The wings on the Champ and Mini-SuperCub look to be paper thin and a one time shot deal, they might handle a small bad landing in grass but wont take much of a crash.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe look for some used equipment???? Or take your money and buy a simulator. many have learned to fly using a simulator. This will do tho things for you. Teach you to fly and let you find out if you REALLY like the hobby. I'm thinking you already like the hobby!!

Don't get in too big a rush. Take your time and find exactly what you need. Maybe take the time to look up an experienced pilot (although your buddy sounds somewhat experienced) and drive there if you need to and have a bull session with that person. I think that would be time well spent. Also a local hobby shop could also be a good source of info. Do your research first.

Good Luck on your quest!!!!

Ken
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 AM
flyfisher117

Im still trying to find an active club locally that can help me out but nothing yet. Hopefully Within the next week I can go see what I can find at a hobby shop or two.

Ive looked at Flight Sims and my biggest issue is all I have is a MacBook Pro so there isnt a wide variety for me to run Unless I spend even more money and buy Windows for my Mac. And then I also dont like flight simulators becuase I cant see the planes or helis.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 AM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree in joining a club, in our club you will fly on club trainer for a while and then there will be guys who can fix you up with equipment so much cheaper than you can buy new, I sold a new guy a trainer rtf with xmitter for 100 bucks it was a eagle II he flew the covering off, I enjoyed seeing the plane being used, I had one trainer that went thru 4 people before it was retired, its called promoting the hobby.........
Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
flyfisher117

I really wish The clubs here locally were easy to get a hold of. BUT the club up where Im going to school I was able to get in contact with, They gave me all the info on when and where they meet and told me when Im up in town to come stop by a meeting and just check it all out. I might be going up there in the next couple of months. I checked the classifieds on their little website but all that was listed was a few motors or other electronics.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
jester_s1

Local Craigslist is great for finding RC deals.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM
flyfisher117

What is a good search word for craigslist? I tried "RC plane" Remote control plane" and Remote control airplane" and got about 50 different listings, all either way out of my skill or price range. probably 10 4 stroke gas planes for sale.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
jester_s1

It's a different world every day on there. I usually just search for "RC." 90% of the ads are overpriced and will never sell, but there is the occasional one that is a good buy and at least close to what you are looking for. I'd say once every 3-4 weeks I see an ad that is truly a good buy, then it's a question of whether or not I actually want the item.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

I'd get an parkzone ember RTF. See if your college or local rec center will let you fly it in the gym? If you really like it you can step up to other micros, like the T-28 (I'd also probably invest in a real radio, like a DX6i as well). Once you ahve a good radio, then a ton more options open up for you for super small park flyers.

Not sure where you're going to school, but when I was in school, there were large enough buildings that would block out most of the wind from a given direction so I could pretty much always find a calm place to fly around here. So I wouldn't necessarily get scared of the micros if you could find such a place. Honestly, if you're living in a dorm, having a big 60" nitro trainer with all the equipment won't be much fun. The micros are good b/c if you get the parkzone ones, you can use the box they came in for safe storage and stash them under your bed or in the top of a closet or whatever.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
flyfisher117

Im sure I could fly it here in the high school gym after school, Probably wouldnt want to learn flying it in there but after I get comfortable It wouldnt be any problem.

Havent in depth checked out the college campus but Im sure it has the big buildings. Ill have to check it out, ask around I believe there is a gentleman that lives close to me that is HUGE into Balsa wood model planes so ill try to find out and talk to him and see if he has anything hes wanting to get rid of as in older not wood planes.

On planes like that ember, how durable are they? With the engine and wiring all exposed and the twiggy little frames I would be worried about crashing and breaking one. Since I live in the mountains Im probably going to be learning to land on frozen snow (unless I can magically hold off from buying anything untill summer time) so Id imagine that if the motor of a plane like the ember took a nose dive into the snow it wouldnnt hold up too well.

Also I was looking at all of these micro planes and there are close to 3 or 4 companies that make planes like the HobbyZone Champ. They all almost look identical and all almost have the same controllers (with same spektrum technology) only some charge batteries from the controllers and others from little chargers. Is there much of a quality difference between all these planes?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
blueapplepaste

Most of these are fairly durable, especially the slower ones. They don't have much mass so will survive crashes OK. Obviously repeated crashing will take its toll.

And if you're getting hobbyzone, parkzone, etc, they're all high quality stuff. There are also lots of other options as well in the micro range if you wanted to build one: http://www.stevensaero.com/UltraMicr...p-1-c-336.html
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
flyfisher117

Hmm Lots to think about and decide on. Off to town tomorrow to check out the hobby stores and see what they have.

Im still leaning towards the champ just because its small, light, and compact. But im also tossing around the idea of trying to find a simulator that will run on Mac. So we will see.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM
blueapplepaste

ORIGINAL: flyfisher117

Hmm Lots to think about and decide on. Off to town tomorrow to check out the hobby stores and see what they have.

Im still leaning towards the champ just because its small, light, and compact. But im also tossing around the idea of trying to find a simulator that will run on Mac. So we will see.
I have an Apple and run Phoenix. I'm running it on XP. No need to go out and blow money on Windows 7.

Another quick RC fix would be one of the Syma Helicopters: http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107...0102428&sr=8-1

An absolute blast for only $20. Easy to fly, really durable, can be flown in a really small space. Maybe one could tide you over until you finally decide on where you're going with RC planes.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM
startazz

I don't know if i can be of any help but i started in this hobby about 5/6 years ago,i didn't join a club and still fly on my own for the most part but i have now started to fly with someone else but not to often because of time and distance,but if i had to start again i wouldn't go for a small plane but something a little bit bigger like a hobbyking ANX floater/jet but i don't think they come RTF (ready to fly) but you can get a RTF SkySurfer which come with everything you will need and is only has a wing span of around 780mm plus it's only $70 plus postage of course.

If they don't it for you they sell planes like the Super Cub and Cessna but i'm not sure if they come RTF,they do sell cheap radios and receivers,the choice is up to you though and i tend to find you have more of a choice online than you will find in a hobby shop,i'm not knocking the LHS in anyway as i use mine when i can but it's just that online is a lot easier for me.

Good luck in finding what you want.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
blueapplepaste

ORIGINAL: startazz

I don't know if i can be of any help but i started in this hobby about 5/6 years ago,i didn't join a club and still fly on my own for the most part but i have now started to fly with someone else but not to often because of time and distance,but if i had to start again i wouldn't go for a small plane but something a little bit bigger like a hobbyking ANX floater/jet but i don't think they come RTF (ready to fly) but you can get a RTF SkySurfer which come with everything you will need and is only has a wing span of around 780mm plus it's only $70 plus postage of course.

If they don't it for you they sell planes like the Super Cub and Cessna but i'm not sure if they come RTF,they do sell cheap radios and receivers,the choice is up to you though and i tend to find you have more of a choice online than you will find in a hobby shop,i'm not knocking the LHS in anyway as i use mine when i can but it's just that online is a lot easier for me.

Good luck in finding what you want.
I would stay as far away as possible from HobbyKing for a first plane. If you get a dud or something is wrong, good luck getting any customer service. Then you've just blown money on a first plane that is a dud or straight up sucks.

I'm all for saving money, but with stuff like the actual planes, motors, ESC, etc, I've tried the cheap chinese stuff, and it just doesn't compare IMO. I fly all name brand backed stuff for those things. The lipos are good stuff, but other than that, I don't even bother with the el-cheapo HK stuff anymore.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
jester_s1

The suggestion to try helicopters first is a good one as well. I'd skip the Syma though and get an Eflite blade MCX. You can fly that in the dorm if you want and it's tough. The worst wreck you'll ever have with it will trash the main rotor, which will set you back $4 to replace.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
flyfisher117

I just don't want to mess around with running my Mac with any windows based program. If Phoenix had a Mac ready version I would get it.

I was going to get an rc heli but I feel that for the price you pay on them you don't get much except a little indoor toy, I also have had bad experience with rc helis, I've had 3 blade runner mico Mosquitos and none flew... 2 can't lift offhand one just skyrockets into the ceiling then won't hover..
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM
blueapplepaste

ORIGINAL: flyfisher117

I just don't want to mess around with running my Mac with any windows based program. If Phoenix had a Mac ready version I would get it.

I was going to get an rc heli but I feel that for the price you pay on them you don't get much except a little indoor toy, I also have had bad experience with rc helis, I've had 3 blade runner mico Mosquitos and none flew... 2 can't lift offhand one just skyrockets into the ceiling then won't hover..
It's really not a big deal to bootcamp your mac. I only use it for the simulator. Aerofly fully supports apple as well.

The syma ones are legit helicopters. Yes they're limited, but are still a blast to fly around your room, house, annoy cats, etc. For $20 you get way more than $20 worth of fun.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
jester_s1

If planes are what you're really interested in, then by all means go ahead. I'm a plane guy myself, but I do also like my Blade Coaxial. It's easy to fly but you can also challenge yourself with flying patterns and doing pirouettes.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
flyfisher117

Bootcamping the Mac isnt the issue its just buying XP AND a simulator like the phoenix with the DX5e controller. Starts to get expensive

Acutally Helicopters flat out amaze me and I love them, I have an air higs havoc heli that I fly around the house on occasion just because its fun to buzz the dogs or sleeping papa bear. Im just not sure if RC helis are for me... I have a hard enough time flying the helicopters in videogames.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.