Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can't start engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can't start engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Veraster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start engine

Hello everyone,

Today I tried to start the engine on an old airplane i've been restoring to make sure it works. I previously got the engine all lubricated, got new fuel lines and cleaned out the gas tank. When I tried to start it today, closly following this video's instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0YchaYek1I . I blocked the carb opening and spun the propellor around several times but never felt any fuel. I couldn't see it going through the fuel line either.

What am I forgetting to do? I've checked to make sure nothing's blocking the fuel line.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can't start engine

Perhaps the Spraybar in the carburetor is plugged? Which engine are you trying to start?

You could also try plugging the exhaust outlet while spinning the propeller, which puts pressure into the fuel tank. See if you get fuel to the carburetor then.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many turns was the needle valve turned out? Are you sure the fuel lines did not get crossed up. You say the fuel tank was cleaned out. The age of the tank may have it leaking. The rubber stoppers will get hard and fall apart and the tank will leak. You may want to check the fuel line in the tank and the clunk. Once again, old age may make them fail. You can get a fuel bulb and and a piece of fuel tubing and hook it up where the fuel intake is on the carb. Squeeze the bulb and see if you are getting fuel in the carb. If not, it is plugged or the needle valve needs to be turned out more. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace the lines in the tank? Make sure the high speed needle is open 3 or 4 turns from lightly seated. You could also try a bit of fuel directly in the carb opening. If the engine fires you know you have a good engine and the carb needs a bit of work.

I noticed he flipped the motor backwards to start his engine. USUALLY, this only works on the larger glow engines. I would flip it "forwards" first until I get it to start and run well.

Good luck!!

Ken
Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 AM
TotalWreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll sometimes remove the line going to the exaust and blow in it to see if any fuel trickels up the line to the carb. Just don't blow hard or you'll blow the carb line off. But also make sure your plug is glowing. And not drowned in fuel.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's not drawing fuel you either have a blockage at the carburetor (fuel nipple or spraybar) or you have an air leak somewhere in the system. If it will draw fuel when you block the muffler but not when you block the carb, you can eliminate the blockage possibility assuming the engine will run at all once it does start. I'd replace carb and needle valve o rings, then if that didn't work replace the fuel supply line inside and out. You can test the stopper in your tank easily enough by just holding your fuel line close and blowing as hard as you can into the pressure line. If the tank can hold the pressure you put on it that way, your stopper is good although you could still have a bad line inside your tank.