Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM
frogwalking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges

I am new to RC so this may not belong in the kit area.

I am well into a Telemaster 40 electric kit build. The kit came with pinned plastic hinges for the flaps (I am not installing moveable flaps) and the fabric type hinges for everything else. I like the pinned plastic (Dubro) hinges better, canuse the flap hinngesfor the ailerons, and buy more for theelevator and rudder. What are your thoughts on which type of hinge is easiest to install, and which type works the best? Toward that end, how does one keep from glueing the bendy portion of the fabric hinge thus making it stiff, and how does one anchor the hinged plastic type of hinge?

Thanks,

Frog
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Hinges

Yes you can, but on that one there's no reason not to use the CA hinges. (fabric type) Just make sure you use thin CA glue when installing them. When you get into bigger models then the plastic ones are better.

I have a Hangar 9 P-51, the 60 size like the blue nose they sell now that does 125mph with the fabric hinges with no issues. It's been 7 years.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Chuck54sd

Hi Frog:

I use "pinned" hinges as well since they put less stress on the servos and allow more freedom of movement.

The down-side is the CA glue getting in the hinge when you insert them and locking or binding them up.

A trick someone showed me to prevent the CA glue from getting into the hinge is to take a toothpick.... dab some vegetable oil on the moving part of the hinge....work it in by moving the hinge back & forth.... and that way there is no where for the CA glue to go since the pin part is already filled with a drop of vegetable oil, which the glue can't stick to.

A little "veggie" oil (I use olive oil) goes a long way.

If you accidentially get some oil on the flat part you want to glue..... simply wipe it with isopropyl alcohol on a rag to clean it off.

This way I can put a drop or two of CA (I use medium viscosity super glue (CA+) rather than the thin CA) in the slot before I insert the hinge, and if a little glue gets "squeegeed" on to the pin part of the hinge... just wipe it off & work the hinge a few times as the CA dries.

Hope this helps with your pin-hinge.

-Chuck
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
jetmech05

Never use CA on a pinned type hinge.....always use epoxy.....I use vasoline to keep the glue out of the hinge pivot...and I cut a small recessed area to allow for the pivot to insert a little so you don't have a big gap between the control surface and the aircraft
Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

PICTURES!!I need pictures.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Never use CA on a pinned type hinge.....always use epoxy.....I use vasoline to keep the glue out of the hinge pivot...and I cut a small recessed area to allow for the pivot to insert a little so you don't have a big gap between the control surface and the aircraft
Pretty much me too. I use oil on the hinge center section then use expanding gorilla glue. I drill a hole in the center of the hinge slot to squish the glue into the slot. I also cover the covering area around the hinges with some oil so the GG can peel off the covering if it expands too much. Sure wish Pacer would bring back there hinge glue. That was easy to work with and didn't make a mess like GG or epoxy. I have some new syringes for epoxy use and may start using epoxy again.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Chuck54sd

Hi Frog:

That epoxy & vasoline sounds like a great idea too.... 15 minute epoxy would be my choice and you get to move things around for a few minutes before it sets.

CA+ glue.... you get on shot to ram it home .....then it stuck !!!

One recommendation is to glue all the hinges to the wing or aileron first..... let that set and dry.... then ram the alieron on to the hinges already on the wing.

Before I ram the aileron on.... I do a few practice runs without the glue, to make sure that the alieron will easily slip on to the hinges... then oil up the hinges & put the glue on the hinges.

Good luck...... it's an art.

-Chuck
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After dry fitting everything, I like to glue both sides of all the hinges at once, then flex the control surface to make sure nothing binds before letting the glue set up. It is easy to get a hinge not quite straight, and you want to find that before the glue sets.

For the CA type, a hobby shop will sell CA applicators, basically a small plastic pipette. Either trim back the covering around the slot slightly, or drill 1/8" down the center of the slot, and you should be able to get CA where it needs to be, and no where else.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use thin CA on CA hinges. Use about 5 or 6 drops from the pipette type applicator on both sides of the CA hinge. Just let the CA drop right at the gap between the control surface and the wing or stab. Never re-apply, meaning do NOT re-glue the hinge. One application of 5 or 6 drops on both sides of the hinge is what is called for.

CGr.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When using CA hinges you have to glue both sections ( aileron / wing ) at the same time . DO NOT do one side of the hinge then do the other, CA hinges HAVE to wick and once you apply the CA it will wick both sides right now, then it WON'T wick again leaving a weak hinge on one side . ENJOY !!! RED