Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dx7s flapperons - Incorrect travel

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dx7s flapperons - Incorrect travel

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 AM
bob12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx7s flapperons - Incorrect travel

Good day RC friends

I have a fixed wing aircraft with two servo's, one for the left and one for the right aileron. Ihave recently tried to set up flapperons with my Dx7s but i cant get the travel correct when i use my ailerons in flapperon mode.

i set up with my DX7s as follows:

i went into the setup menu and selected
wing type : flaperons.

back in the main menu i set up the flaps as follows:
normal 0% 0% ( for flaps and elevator position)
mid 30% 5%
landing 40 % 10 %.

Everything worked well when i went to the different flap positions, however my travel is totally incorrect when i use my ailerons while in mid or landing position.
the travel on the monitor is -130%/70% and -70%/130% for the respective ailerons.

does anybody have a suggestion how to set the flapperons up that the aileron travel does not exceed the travel of the control surface on the spektrum dx7s?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Steve Steinbring

Default RE: Dx7s flapperons - Incorrect travel

Bob,

I've had some similar problems using the flapperon feature on the DX7.

I setup an e-glider with the thought of having a spoileron setting to kill lift, normal, and then flaps. I wasn't able to accomplish that, so then I decided to go with just flapperons to increase lift and a full flap position to increase drag. An interesting problem then occurred once it was setup, when going to full throttle I would get full aileron defection in one direction....... Not good. In fact I launched the glider not realizing that this was happening, it was sporty getting it back down not realizing what the problem was. Did a full control check prior to launch, but never thought to do one at full power. I was able to control the bird with rudder well enough to make the airfield and landing.

Called Horizon about the issue.............. They suggested I do a model reset then re-program, well the issue still exists. I have discontinued using the flapperon feature on that airplane. There appears to be software issues that even the techs at Horizon are not familiar with and don't know how to solve.

Steve
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
bob12

Good day Steve

Thanks for that feedback regarding the anomaly while at full throttle, I will definitely  check this out before I fly the next time. great thinking to use the rudder to get her back on the ground !

I have gotten some feedback regarding the flapperon problem from my LHS.  I kept the set-up as discussed before and then in the differential menu on the flap screen. I set the differential settings to 42% and 62% (randomly played around until it worked) and this stopped the travel going more than 100% in either direction. There is however an offset regarding the ailerons as the Left aileron moves more than the right aileron and vice versa in the other direction. I am not sure what affect this will have on a real plane, the flight simulator works rather well.
hope this helps you ?

I feel that this is already a step in the right direction but I would optimally like a 40% travel in either direction when the flaps are on.

I am a total beginner in RC, do you maybe know of a good book that I can read regarding differential, mixing and dual rates of transmitters ?

Regards
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Steve Steinbring

Bob,

Sorry I don't know any specific book on differential or dual rates

However, differential is generally used to solve adverse yaw issues in turns. Where the downward wing aileron is set at greater throw than the upper wing aileron. By doing so it effectively pulls the fuselage/tail up in the turn into a level turn requiring less rudder. I have a large J-3 Cub and a PT-19 that I have trimmed with using differential. The proper amount of differential is generally found by experimentation in flying the airplane. In some of my airplanes I will also use a bit of aileron to rudder mix at times, but normally just manually apply rudder as required into the turns, the better way to learn how to fly IMO.

Dual rate values are often suggested by the airplanes manufacturer which are often about 70% of the value of the full rate throws. You will have to decide if you want to tame those rates down more. With that thought in mind if I do setup dual rates I seldom use rudder dual rate because rudder is the first control surface to be effective and the last to become ineffective leaving me with greater control. On the DX7 you will find the dual rate setting on the same screen as the exponential. You will need to setup separate expos for your dual rates and full throws respectively.

You can also use end point adjustments to refine how you want the airplane's control surface deflections trimmed. On my pattern airplanes I will adjust the end points on the ailerons, elevator, and rudder to control how the airplane reacts during maneuvers.

I'm sure others here can add perhaps add more.

Steve
Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 AM
bob12

Steve,

thanks for the advice regarding differential and dual rates , i will consider adding rudder movement when my ailerons move. as currently i only use the rudder on take off to steer the plane on the ground.

bob