Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ASP engines with free shipping

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ASP engines with free shipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
dditch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP engines with free shipping

[link=http://bit.ly/9zFxM2]Hobbyparts[/link] has a free shipping thing going on so I ordered a .15 ASP nitro for my combat plane. I've been flying electric SSC combat this year but wanted to give the more conventional nitro a try.
I heard the ASP was a knock off of a magnum which a bunch of people use so I though with the free shipping it was a no brainer at $43. Here are some pics after the first 3 break in tanks.
Under the advise of a magnum owner, I put the silicone tubing on the needle valve. I also used red silicone gasket glue to hold the muffler nut on. I'll probably add another nut on the end. I also adde the used Enya 3 plug and broke it in with 15% using the method described in the OS 46SX manual. It broke-in just fine and seemed to run with good power and idle. Did not have to touch the low end needle at all.
Here are some pics of it. Notce the Logo (ASP) is milled away on the side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94468.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1507595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47402.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1507596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94505.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1507597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88443.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1507598  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: ASP engines with free shipping

I understand they are pretty much the same as a Magnum inside and those are pretty decent engines.

Tom
Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks identical to the magnum XLS15 I had.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

I have never had a problem with my ASP's. Is this the normal price that they sell the engines at? Never heard of hobbypartz before.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
GaryHarris

Look over at Hobby King! I need a 91 size 4 stroke for my Eindecker and they have the ASP for $129. Wow!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
jeffie8696

My issue with buying from them is warranty. However with the new warranty center open it might be OK to take the chance. As I have mentioned before my first Magnum 52 four stroke was junk!! however it was bought new and warrantied for a new one which has become a keeper.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
dditch

I have never had a problem with my ASP's. Is this the normal price that they sell the engines at? Never heard of hobbypartz before.
I've seen the other ASP engines at those prices before, but the free shipping is new and no one knows if that is temporary or perminent. They have no answer for me when I called once. They acted like it was temporary.

[link=http://bit.ly/9zFxM2]Hobbypartz,[/link] [link=http://bit.ly/aJZa7q]Nitroplanes, [/link] , [link=http://bit.ly/9LMIzM]NitroRCX,[/link] and [link=http://bit.ly/d4uT4W]Xheli[/link]are all the same people. I think they have some other generic import electronics site too.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM
dditch

I just got in an ASP 25 AII
It looks not like the photo on hobbyparts for a 2548 combat plane, but just like the Magnum 25XLS shown here but with the log machined off:
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM
forestroke

i'm sure they are from the same manufacturer, sanye. its the quality standards that may (or may not be) different. with a relatively good brand, magnum, they will need to stick to more stringent quality standards. also, asp and sanye own branded motors don't need to go through the magnum supply chain so they can be cheaper. all in all, i've had mixed reviews of asp engines. IMHO they work, but not to the same degree as saito, os, or ys.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
jeffie8696

My Magnum XLS15 was a sweetie, my Mag XL15A wasnt so hot (low power). Geez, Magnum is showing me a 50% failure rate.
When they work they work really good.
My XLS15 was especially good on 30% nitro.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Lnewqban

Is the ASP 15 able to reach the 17,500 rpm with the 8x3 propeller, as required by the SSC rules?

Being on a budget, I would like to give the ASP 15 a try, instead of buying Magnum 15; however, I cannot find enough feedback on the newer ASP 15.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Warbird Joe

My first engine was a ST and it was a pig. I bought a magnum .46 and loved it. Easy to start and set the high low. Now all I have are Magnums. My 91 is amazing too. They are fast and reliable. With that being said, I have only bought 2 strokes. So I would give an ASP a try being they look the same.

Joe
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM
dditch

Yes, I was able to get close to 17500 (I think it was like 17350 on my optical tach).
This is the break-in procedure I was told to use for Combat:
8x3 prop cut down to 6 - 6.5".
Normal fuel.
4 x 30 second runs at 90% max RPM (lean to max, richen to 90% RPM). Allow to cool completely to room temperature between each run.
4 x 2 minutes runs, with pinching the fuel line to peak RPM every 30 seconds.
The go fly with 8x3 combat prop..

Here are some Magnum engine notes one can follow (look at Magnum notes):
I did not replace any fastiners yet.
http://www.midatlanticcombat.com/
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 AM
dditch

They have the ASP engines back in stock
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/aspengines.html]ASP engines at Hobbypartz[/link]
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 AM
OntAeronut

ASP and Magnum engines are the same. Asp engines are sold mostly in Europe and Asia, where magnum is mostly sold overseas in North America. Both are made from factory second parts from OS Engines that are sold out the back door. These parts are not up to Os's high standards so they are sold as factory seconds. Now I am not bashing either motor, I have a asp 61FS and it's an amazing motor, however like most things in life, you get what you pay for. They will not have the same durability of OS or saito. However, if you take good care of them, they will last a long time and give you years of use.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 AM
ATVAlliance

I really could care less about if they are as durable as an OS or Saito.  I just picked up a 91 2 stroke yesterday from HP for 77 bucks shipped.

At that price point I can just throw it away and buy another one if it comes to that.  Not that I think it will as I have a couple other ASP engines that have been fine ( a 52 and 61...both 2 strokes).

If you are into this hobby on a budget like I am...these engines are great!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
dditch

I find it hard to believe that ASP are OS parts that are thrown away.
I more believe they copy designs.
I can agree that an OS engine is going to be a higher quality.
I have 4 ASP/Magnum engines now for Combat flying and only issues I have are the ones I induce.
I will say that after a while, I replace the High end needle valve O ring with an OS O ring.
SOmeone recommended I replace the Carb fastiners but I have not done that. I do use a small drop of blue loctite on the carb spring screw. No Loctite anywhere the engine is hot.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you make an ASP .12 or an ASP .21 out of OS parts "sold out the back door"? OS doesn't make engines like those. And would it really be cheaper to get seconds from OS, with no control over timing or quantity, than making the parts in China along with the rest of the engine? What is your source of information? This sounds like an internet myth.

Jim
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Look over at Hobby King! I need a 91 size 4 stroke for my Eindecker and they have the ASP for $129. Wow!
The ASP and Magnum are one and the same from what I have been told. Hobby King I would give a pass on. Hobby People have a sale every three day weekend and I get there flyer. The Magnum .91 comes up on every sale and is usually 129.00 or 139.00. No shipping cost and HK can kill you on both shipping cost and back orders. If there is a problem with the engine you can just walk in the door at Hobby People and get a replacement. I'm not a Magnum person myself but I would get mine from HP instead of HK every time.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
shd3920

Just checked out the site and I can not find nitro motors there only electric. But the electric accessories are a real steal.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
dditch

At Hobbypartz On the left, click RC Engines, then click ASP
Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
OntAeronut

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait
What is your source of information? This sounds like an internet myth.

Jim
My source is the main dealer for ASP engines in Great Britan that has been selling ASP engines for many many years. Perhaps you have heard of them. Its called Just Engines.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OS doesn't make a current .12, .21, .32, .36 and probably others. It just doesn't add up. Even for the other sizes, how many usable rejects does OS produce?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: dditch

I find it hard to believe that ASP are OS parts that are thrown away.
I more believe they copy designs.
I can agree that an OS engine is going to be a higher quality.
I have 4 ASP/Magnum engines now for Combat flying and only issues I have are the ones I induce.
I will say that after a while, I replace the High end needle valve O ring with an OS O ring.
SOmeone recommended I replace the Carb fastiners but I have not done that. I do use a small drop of blue loctite on the carb spring screw. No Loctite anywhere the engine is hot.
Don't beleave it at all. Magnum did just copy the older OS engines design but that is as far as it went. Magnums have also been on the market a lot longer then most people think. I had stacks of some very old modeling magazines and my mouth did fall open when I saw magnums advertised years ago. Keep in mind the lack of copy rights laws in China. How many parts of a magnum will fit an OS?? I don't have a clue but I do often use things like the Magnum Header on my OS .91 four strokes. They seem to last longer and they are a few bucks cheaper. The threads are cut too deep in the OS headers and they tend to break right at the head. The magnums don't seem to have the same problem??