Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane

Some of the readers here probably remember my talking about not being able to work the "Real Flight Basic" during landings. The thing still seems a little off but then put it off on "Newby syndrome." Went to the local field yesterday and several guys were there and because it threatened rain I just did not pull my plane out of the truck. My instructor showed but with no plane or buddy box, so I decided then that flying was gonna be another day. I started to leave and made the decsion to just practice taxi a little so I set up. After all that, fired up, first try, taxied out and my instructor walked up. Said he would take over if necessary and wanted to take off but I said , no, gonna do it or finish it. Took off flew for ten minutes and he walked over and offered to land for me but I declined. Set her up, wallered around on final, did a little hoopty-do and landed ,taxied back. So the sim must have helped because I was not even ready to solo but did. Stopped for the day because just did not want to stain the feeling.......Crash later on . lol Sure feels good to have mastered that, albiet sloppy. The fellas said , get ready to spend money. I will. Just thought I would take all this space to say I SOLOED. Thanks for all the input from all the ones that spoke to me via this web. Feels good. gphil
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plane

Congratulations. Good stuff.

Now that you figured out where the runway is, well, now comes the training part. the hard part.

What you have to do now is get the plane up in the air, we usually say "three mistakes high" and get ahead of the plane and fly it.

What I mean is that once airborne, several things should happen the very first time up each day. You should pick an altitude, back off the throttle, then trim the plane for straight and level flight with "hands off" the transmitter (actually, just take your fingers off the sticks is what we mean by that). Once done, then just go into long orbits or ovals. First about 10 right hand turn ovals, then about 10 left turn ovals. Meaning, make a 180 degree turn, heading the opposite direction fly a straight line for the lengh of your flying field, make another 180 degree turn that is coordinated and maintains a constant altitude, and head back and do it again.

Getting ahead means that you anticipate what is going to happen next then set up for it, meaning rather than let the plane fly you, you fly the plane.

Repeat this, as I said several times, perhaps a through a whole tank of fuel. Did you say you were flying glow or electric? No matter.. one tank or one battery. Land, refuel or recharge or change battery packs, then, after a rest period, go back up again. You can repeat the orbits or you can switch to figure eights. This way you get the right and left turn each time.

At some point, you will start to practice approaches, coming in high, directly over the centerline of the runway, staying about 30 or so feet high and pass by... add throttle and go around. Repeat this several times then begin to come in lower, then lower until you land straight and with out all the wallowing around.

All this takes time, so be patient. But the end result is that you will feel more and more confident that you are really learning to "master" the plane, although you never will.. none of really have.

Best of luck with this, and again, congratulations!!

CGr.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 AM
kwblake

Congratulations gphil. Now you will be able to start having fun WHILE YOU ARE FLYING. Slowly the knees will stop knocking, the teeth will stop chattering, and you will be able to walk to the flying station without your buttcheeks clenched so tight it's hard to move your legs. When I started (only a couple of years ago) I was super nervous, but that has slowly gone away to some degree. I still wonder if it ever completly.

Have fun

P.S. Have you picked a second plane yet? Bet ya have.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 AM
gphil

I ususally practice what you mentioned but not the appchs.    The "8's" can get hairy sometimes , at least in the past they did.   Takeoff , not sweat but believe it I can turn the wrong direction while on the ground.   Love this sport.   gphil
Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
gphil

Got my second solo out of the way. Got a little cocky and was happy I followed the three mistake rule for there was some unusual attitudes demonstrated for a spellby the plane, not me. The boys asked if itwas planned but I could only say surviving. Laughs all around. Also found that one should check the trim on the trans prior to flight and not discover large amounts of left aileron trim has beenapplied. Learn more this time than last. Sure hope the learning slows a little. lol lol More later. gphil

Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM
gphil

Forgot to name the planes I am thinking strong about.       

1.    AMR 20     
                                    2.    SIG  KADET    
                                    3.    LT     40             
                                    4.    IBIS      -   Don't know much about this one except it is really pretty and too much for me.         

Going to change to gas also             gphil