Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

general Safety

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

general Safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default general Safety

Some thing i have wondered about here on the Airplane and Helicopter forums is i have never seen (unless i just can't see..) other than a seperate thread here and there about the fact that some of these models with their weight,and the power in some of these motors are "not just toys" and can cause serious personel injury.I have been around these for many years and have a lot of
"RESPECT" for the business end of most of these models.I would think at the very top of the airplane and helicopter forum lists would be a "sticky" with something like......."Model SAFETY...These are not just toy's....Please Read" followed by just a few facts about the power of most of the motors swinging props at thousands of RPM's and just the sheer weight of some of these models being propelled through the air at ? Miles Per Hour.There are a lot of new members coming onto these RCU forums and if this saved just one member from injury or grief it would have paid for the effort involved many time over.

For what it's worth..

BIGMIG

P.S. If this info is here and i just missed seeing it sorry.....
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: general Safety

Excellent post!

Without a doubt safety should be the first concern of everyone in this hobby.

I wear a 7" scar on my left leg calf from a runway airplane in the pits one day at the club field. The danger is there and everything possible should be done to keep things safe.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

There is a big difference between glow powered aircraft and electric powered aircraft.

It goes into the physics of electric vs. glow.

With glow powered aircraft, if you put something in the way of the propellor, the motor loses it's "momentum" and will stop. If that happens to be fingers, a hand, or an arm, well, there is no doubt damage. But.. the engine can no longer maintain momentum and thus combustion, and stops.

With electric, as long as there is current flow, meaning if the path from the battery to the motor is intact, well, there is a path for power to the motor and it will tend to continue regardless of what gets in the way of the propellor. Believe me when I say this, I am talking from personal experience.. five stiches worth. And, there are plenty of others here that can attest to that. They just don't stop rotating if something gets in the way of the propellor.

That is not to say that glow power won't do damage, they will. Absolutely.

There is a "process" that we usually follow with each technology. For electrics, well, it is a tad bit more dangerous if not followed because the motors will continue to rotate that prop. With glow, well, at idle anyway, getting in the way of the prop will most likely just stop the engine, but not before doing some real damage.

Bottom line, keep away from the props. If glow, you start from the front then move to the rear and keep your appendages away from the prop.

For electric, well, for the initial phase.. meaning, when you are finished building or assembling your plane, and don't know for sure what the status of your motor is... don't mount the prop until you are darned sure of rotation direction and if the throttle is set properly.. not reversed!!!!!

CGr.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM
trainerjock

I disagree that putting something in the path of the prop of a glow engine will cause the engine to stop! I was bench running an OS .60FP at about half throttle. Stupidly reached into the prop to pull the fuel line of the carb. The prop sliced into my index finger, nearly severing it. Cut the tendon, exposed the bone, blood splatter on a wall 30' behind the engine, split one prop blade, and did not even slow the engine down. Wood prop by the way. If it had been an APC that I normally use, I would have lost the finger!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like some of Newton's laws in action here.

Kurt
Old 03-24-2012, 02:29 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"With glow, well, at idle anyway, getting in the way of the prop will most likely just stop the engine, but not before doing some real damage. "

CG just was using "typical" scenario as example. There will always be some exception to the rule for whatever reason. The point is the same - you can't afford to become complacent near a propeller.

Having a set of established rules for starting an engine, such as ensuring that your restraint is functional, in place, no obstructions near the prop or in the path forward, are only good if you follow them. You will find many posts on these forums from people that have missed an item on their "checklist" and have the scars as a result. Some have scars because someone else forgot something on their checklist.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:52 AM
CGRetired

Yes, exactly my point. Glow engines can and will (not all the time, obviously) stop when something gets in the way of the prop. Electric, because the source of energy is not internal combustion, will tend to keep turning and can and will do more damage.

CGr.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 AM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Safety is #1 priority without a doubt. I tthink that is why all newbies that come here looking for advice are encouraged to go to a local club to learn the ropes. Most of the model safety skills I know were learned there,such as,restraining the model, clearing away anything around the propeller, and exaggerated movements while removing the glow starter,just to name a few. Them old timers knew how to be safe. Some things you have to learn in real life situations,( least I do anyway!)
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 AM
CGRetired

Absolutely correct.

Unfortunately, sometimes, in spite of the best instruction, we learn the hard way.

Five stiches from a reversed throttle setting from the prop on an electric on the first "start up" makes one a quick learner.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 AM
opjose

21 stitches and an ER visit, for me say you are correct!

The electric prop sliced and diced and just kept going doing more and more damage. This on a measly .25 equivalent electric engine.

I stuck my finger into the prop of a more more powerful .46 glow engine.

The prop cut deep but stopped immediately.

Butterfly closures did the job with no ER visit.