Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flying first time "by myself"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flying first time "by myself"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying first time "by myself"

Hello, been flying model helicopters for more than 10 years now and totally self taught, some crashes but overall I have managed to learn without help. Built and flown scale helis and 3d flight. Now I have a new airplane coming already built and proven, it's modified and has flaps, " kadet senior saito .91 powered" the owner says it very easy to fly, and I have many simulator hours. Ant tips for my first flight would be appreciated. See the problem is I live in a rural area and 65 miles from any town with a hobby shop and don't know anyone who flies planes. But I do have plenty of flight area and a well groomed runway.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM
BIGMIG

Default RE: Flying first time

I realy can't offer you much help.One plus is you have been flying heli-s and understand radios and such.Check all the control movement and make sure everthing is moving in the right directions.Try to get some altitude and go easy on the throttle and when it is going straight away from you (after you get it up aways and hopefully after bringing it around so you can do this ) try to trim it out with the trim levers for each control so it is flying straight and level as possible with zero control input.

I crashed a lot of planes trying to fly on my own. Some very short flights.....and some that seemed to last forever...all with the same final outcome. But that was me and i'm sure there are guys out there who have been able to make it on their own.It is nice though when you can have an expierienced pilot hook up to you with a buddy cord and take control if and when you loose control and give you good advice and save you some airplane models.

I hope it will work out for you and you have good luck in your attempt.

BIGMIG
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day

Firstly, a Saito 91 (nice engine) in a Kadet Senior (nice plane) is total overkill. I flew mine on a Saito 56 and Saito 65 and they were more than it needed so go gently on the power. I did briefly fly an ARF Kadet Senior with a 91 four stroke but I quickly removed it as it was surely going to break the model if I left it there.

Secondly, a trimmed Kadet Senior will just about fly its self. As you say that this model is modified, this may be less true. I assume the dihedral has been reduced and ailerons added?

My suggestions would be -

1. Take off straight into the wind if you can and stand behind the model so you can see exactly what it is doing.
2. Use low power and let it just float off by gradually increasing the power. On full power with the 91, it will be heading up fast after a very short roll and may even try to go into a loop.
3. If it shows a tendency to roll to the left or right on take off, reduce power and bring it back down and re-trim to reduce the roll.
4. It will probably need some down trim to fly level at about 1/3 throttle. Most Kadet Seniors do and it even says this in the instructions.
5. Make sure you can stop the engine with the radio. You will have a large prop and even at idle it is going to want to float on forever and not land. You may have to stop the engine to get it to land. It may actually be easier to land this way. Kadets are surprisingly good gliders. I stayed up for 6 minutes 20 seconds after a 30 second engine run at a fun fly.
6. DON'T do any violent maneuvers at high power. The wings may not take it.

And have fun.

Mike in Oz

Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Jamming

Thanks for the great advice, this plane has been basically built for the saito .91 it's been redone with a wider fuselage and 87" wings, and covered with ultra coat, I think it's called. Also the wings are in two pieces with turnbuckles in the center wing. Sorry don't know all the lingo. The leading edge is carbon fiber coated and the inside stringers are carbon fiber reinforced. Now this info is all according to the seller and pics he sent me. The man who builds planes has over 20 years of experience and has built many scratch planes. I hope to have it next week. I also ordered all new servos "hitec digitals" and still need a Rx for my dx8.

What about a ratcheting rudder and throttle stick on my radio, ever fly without it ratcheting, because mine in setup for helicopters and really don't want to switch back and forth.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Jamming

One more question ? What would be a milder 4 stroke engine choice if not the .91 saito.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A seventish four stroke would likely be just fine- but What is the weight of all the mods, no one here can answer that question for you. A stock Senior Kaydet can handle a a two stroke from anything from a modern .35 to perhaps a good .75 with out any mods or problems and with four stroke and anything from a fiftiesh to a good .80 or so.

All those I mentioned without hardly any mods. Now down to brass tacs and opinions, only just my opinion that is:

While my advice is always find a mentor no exceptions however If you Are going to go it alone : First reread mike 109's post above and list for doing so, its good advice. I am only going to address the engine choice and you asked but restricted the engine choice to four strokes.

Anyway here goes:

Without any other info about these mods especially weights and how much the gentleman has increased drag (You can beleve things like struts, fat fuselages or whatever does have major effects) I would stick with his engine of choice the 91 fourstroke.
Now just speculating on the effects of the mods my engine of choice would be an OS 95AX .

I have flown and developed a variety of mods for the Senior, actually an altime favorite airplane for many years. Some very outlandish and I do currently fly Seniors with 87 wings.

I do realize barking up a two stroke engine in these forums is normally futile but like I said I am going to state that opinon.

Enjoy

John
Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 AM
KitBuilder

You can use ratches but it's harder to tell if the rudder would be centered or not as opposed to self centering. Tratchet is for things like throttle so you don't have to hold it in position.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

You can use ratches but it's harder to tell if the rudder would be centered or not as opposed to self centering. Tratchet is for things like throttle so you don't have to hold it in position.
It still centers from left to right just not the throttle. Gonna give it a try. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

A seventish four stroke would likely be just fine- but What is the weight of all the mods, no one here can answer that question for you. A stock Senior Kaydet can handle a a two stroke from anything from a modern .35 to perhaps a good .75 with out any mods or problems and with four stroke and anything from a fiftiesh to a good .80 or so.

All those I mentioned without hardly any mods. Now down to brass tacs and opinions, only just my opinion that is:

While my advice is always find a mentor no exceptions however If you Are going to go it alone : First reread mike 109's post above and list for doing so, its good advice. I am only going to address the engine choice and you asked but restricted the engine choice to four strokes.

Anyway here goes:

Without any other info about these mods especially weights and how much the gentleman has increased drag (You can beleve things like struts, fat fuselages or whatever does have major effects) I would stick with his engine of choice the 91 fourstroke.
Now just speculating on the effects of the mods my engine of choice would be an OS 95AX .

I have flown and developed a variety of mods for the Senior, actually an altime favorite airplane for many years. Some very outlandish and I do currently fly Seniors with 87 wings.

I do realize barking up a two stroke engine in these forums is normally futile but like I said I am going to state that opinon.

Enjoy

John
Won't get a exact weight til I receive it. But I assume it was done right considering the builders reputation. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM
opjose

I've taught several heli pilots to fly planes.

They take to it very easily.

The biggest problems are getting them to lay off the rudder, and not flying the plane INTO the ground at landing.

They tend not to be used to glide slopes and not using the tail/rudder all the time.

Usually two flights with a buddy box and they are off on their own.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: opjose

I've taught several heli pilots to fly planes.

They take to it very easily.

The biggest problems are getting them to lay off the rudder, and not flying the plane INTO the ground at landing.

They tend not to be used to glide slopes and not using the tail/rudder all the time.

Usually two flights with a buddy box and they are off on their own.

Thanks for your input that helps build my confidence. It's seems almost to easy on the simulator and that's maybe why I am second guessing my first flight. Sounds like trim and power management is the key, I fly my align 90 helicopter pretty much wide open all the time on idle up for 3 d. What do you mean by "lay off the rudder" doesn't the plane need rudder and aileron to turn ?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 AM
levram1

You really only need aileron to turn, but a little rudder makes the turn that much more coordinated. Rudder is really important on final and landing. Others with more knowledge will chime in shortly.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents for what it's worth........follow all of "mike109" from down under's suggestions plus one more, don't deploy the flaps untill after you are comfortable flying the plane (many flights) and then do at altitude as a test to see what effect they have on pitch. Some airplanes pitch up with flaps some pitch down, some don't change. If your flying with a computer radio elevator changes can be programed in to compensate for the pitch change. Wait till later to play with the flaps as they are not needed on a Kadet Sr. I have a 1/5 scale Cessna that pitches up with flaps and a similer sized Kadet Sr that pitches down big time with flaps. For learning to fly a fixed wing aircraft pretend flaps are not there!!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Jamming

Thanks for your input that helps build my confidence. It's seems almost to easy on the simulator and that's maybe why I am second guessing my first flight. Sounds like trim and power management is the key, I fly my align 90 helicopter pretty much wide open all the time on idle up for 3 d. What do you mean by ''lay off the rudder'' doesn't the plane need rudder and aileron to turn ?
No the plane turns using Ailrons... that's the mistake heli pilots make.

As mentioned rudder is used to help co-ordinate turns and keep the plane from "slipping" in a turn, but they are NOT the primary turn mechansim.

On many planes if you attempt to use the rudder for turns in normal flight the nose will dip down... so heli pilots end up chasing their tails so to speak.

Some planes have no rudder control at all, while a few experience pronounce adverse yaw during aileron turns and really require rudder inputs.
It depends upon the plane.

Usually "first" and "second" planes do not need rudder input throughout the flight, unless there is a crosswind, etc. They are designed not to yaw adversely.

I had one heli pilot that I let fly solo after his second time out. He was flying a newly purchased Pulse XT. While he was flying I noticed that the plane was "wiggling" all the time and it looked like something was wrong with the plane.

After he landed I checked it over and found nothing wrong. When he went up again I saw the same problem... he seemed oblivious to it.

I asked him to hand me the sticks and the problem stopped.

I handed the sticks back to him, set the throttle to about 70% and told him to fly the plane with only the right stick. Again no problem.

It took a concious effort for him to lay off the rudder from then on.

-

It would be best to get help from someone for the first couple of flights.

An instructor will go over your plane, make sure it is properly set up... ( imagine an utter heli novice, but proficient plane pilot trying to set up CCPM linkages without knowning a thing about how they work! ). They can fly it for you and set up the trims plus help eliminate any unwanted in flight characteristics.

And they can help you acclimate yourself to the differences. Remember Helis don't "notice" the wind... planes do.

I'll bet two flights with help will be all you'll need.

BTW: bad idea to fly most planes "wide open" all the time... that's often a sure fire way to break the wings or cause flutter and loose control.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Jamming

Great advice ! Thanks everyone, flying the plane without constant rudder input is something I never thought about and was considering the opposite approach. I use a dx8 radio so mixing is not a problem, flying with 10 degree on flaps during landing was suggest by the previous owner. His point was that it slows the plane to what he called walking speed, but I will certainly try them up a bit higher the first time at a slower air speed. Looking forward to the maiden flight and I will post pics or a video before my first attempt. I don't have the luxury of a instructor unless somone lives close to Rockport washington. I will see if any clubs are near by before I try, would hate to crash it on the flight. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not use the flaps on the maiden or even the early flights. The Problem is while yes they allow the airplane to fly slightly slower, they also will cause a much sharper stall departure when it does occur and lolling around at this very slow speed just on top of departure during an approach or worse just flying around very low can be quite fatal.

Generally the fellows will experiance less safe approachs with flaps than without and its quite the opposite than what most folks have been led to beleve.

John
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Do not use the flaps on the maiden or even the early flights. The Problem is while yes they allow the airplane to fly slightly slower, they also will cause a much sharper stall departure when it does occur and lolling around at this very slow speed just on top of departure during an approach or worse just flying around very low can be quite fatal.

Generally the fellows will experiance less safe approachs with flaps than without and its quite the opposite than what most folks have been led to beleve.

John
Ok ! No flaps seems to be the suggested beginners approach, definition of flaps is a load bearing rudder, so I would assume that more weight would require flaps as in a passenger jet or large aircraft. Then why spend the time modding the aircraft if there not useful in a model.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
mike109

G'day

A Kadet Senior built from a kit and built to the plans does not have ailerons or flaps. It has a lot of dihedral too. The dihedral makes it want to keep its wings level and makes it yaw as well as roll when the rudder is used.

On my 3 channel Kadets, I put the rudder on the aileron channel; on my four channel Kadet, the controls are in the normal channels. This makes swapping from three to four channel planes easy as the main "turn" control is always in the same stick. The downside is on the ground. Three channels are steered from the aileron stick and four from the rudder stick. This is no great problem though.

To turn a three channel Kadet, you start the turn with the rudder then once the plane has rolled (a secondary effect of the rudder) in the direction you want to turn in, you add up elevator to keep the nose up AND to keep the turn going. Once the turn is started, you can release the rudder and it will stay in the turn so long as the elevator is held up. When you a finished the turn, you release the elevator and the plane will roll back to wings level. You can also stop the turn more quickly with some opposite rudder.

As soon as you reduce the dihedral and add ailerons, you now use the ailerons to start that initial roll and the plane will also yaw in the direction of the turn. You also then complete the turn by holding up elevator to keep the nose up. Again, you finish either by just letting go the ailerons or by giving some opposite aileron to level the wings.

I have several Kadets. Most are built to the plan but on has ailerons. It has about half the normal dihedral. It can be turned either with the ailerons or the rudder but it is neater with the ailerons. But on both cases, it is the elevator which actually pulls it through the turn which keeping the nose level. If you go into a turn with either rudder or aileron and then hold the elevator, it just stays in a banked turn forever going happily round and round.

People look at my Kadets and think they are great big floaty unresponsive lumps. Nothing could be more from the truth. They are really extremely agile if you push them around. Flying them inverted is fun. They really don't want to do it but they will. You need plenty of height as without ailerons you cannot really do a proper roll and have to come out of inverted with a half loop in the direction of down and as a result, you need plenty of height to do this.

Sounds like your model was engineered to take the Saito 91 so it should be fine. Just go easy on the throttle and make sure you have a nice low idle so it will stop or it will just want to fly on forever at idle.

As an aside, I was flying a Telemaster Senior (8 foot wing) yesterday with a Magnum 61 four stroke. It takes off in about 10 feet even with that relatively small engine and then putters around. I don't find it as nice to fly as the Kadets but I am using it to brush up on my rudder use. It really needs some input from the rudder to turn well.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

A Kadet Senior built from a kit and built to the plans does not have ailerons or flaps. It has a lot of dihedral too. The dihedral makes it want to keep its wings level and makes it yaw as well as roll when the rudder is used.

On my 3 channel Kadets, I put the rudder on the aileron channel; on my four channel Kadet, the controls are in the normal channels. This makes swapping from three to four channel planes easy as the main ''turn'' control is always in the same stick. The downside is on the ground. Three channels are steered from the aileron stick and four from the rudder stick. This is no great problem though.

To turn a three channel Kadet, you start the turn with the rudder then once the plane has rolled (a secondary effect of the rudder) in the direction you want to turn in, you add up elevator to keep the nose up AND to keep the turn going. Once the turn is started, you can release the rudder and it will stay in the turn so long as the elevator is held up. When you a finished the turn, you release the elevator and the plane will roll back to wings level. You can also stop the turn more quickly with some opposite rudder.

As soon as you reduce the dihedral and add ailerons, you now use the ailerons to start that initial roll and the plane will also yaw in the direction of the turn. You also then complete the turn by holding up elevator to keep the nose up. Again, you finish either by just letting go the ailerons or by giving some opposite aileron to level the wings.

I have several Kadets. Most are built to the plan but on has ailerons. It has about half the normal dihedral. It can be turned either with the ailerons or the rudder but it is neater with the ailerons. But on both cases, it is the elevator which actually pulls it through the turn which keeping the nose level. If you go into a turn with either rudder or aileron and then hold the elevator, it just stays in a banked turn forever going happily round and round.

People look at my Kadets and think they are great big floaty unresponsive lumps. Nothing could be more from the truth. They are really extremely agile if you push them around. Flying them inverted is fun. They really don't want to do it but they will. You need plenty of height as without ailerons you cannot really do a proper roll and have to come out of inverted with a half loop in the direction of down and as a result, you need plenty of height to do this.

Sounds like your model was engineered to take the Saito 91 so it should be fine. Just go easy on the throttle and make sure you have a nice low idle so it will stop or it will just want to fly on forever at idle.

As an aside, I was flying a Telemaster Senior (8 foot wing) yesterday with a Magnum 61 four stroke. It takes off in about 10 feet even with that relatively small engine and then putters around. I don't find it as nice to fly as the Kadets but I am using it to brush up on my rudder use. It really needs some input from the rudder to turn well.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Thank you mike for your input I really appreciate it. Sounds like the kadet will be a joy to fly, all I am looking for is a plane I can putt around with and have relaxing fun. I already have the crazy fast helicopters and Was looking at trainers and the kadet kept popping up as one of the best, so when I saw a great looking one with already flown track record I bought it. Should be here next week.
I sure miss watching the crock hunters " Steve Erwin " new episodes. Happy flying.