Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Understanding RC LiPo batteries (found this )(must read )

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Understanding RC LiPo batteries (found this )(must read )

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Understanding RC LiPo batteries (found this )(must read )

Found this while looking up general info on LiPo Batteries. (Understanding RC lipo Batteries ) Found this full of interesting information
and think for someone like myself and other's who are "new" to these batteries it is a "Must Read"...........

I had seen over time lots of comments about keeping an eye on these batteries when re-charging them.We kind of get used to seeing warning labels on everything and i know speaking for myself,a lot of times may not pay as much attention to some of these as we should.This and other youtube videos i watched was a real "eye opener" when it comes to these batteries......I had no idea what a fire potential these can realy be.I have had a lot of things short out over the years and most of the time it may ruin a battery or even burn a wire off.............But i have never seen a battery turn into a "blow torch"...[:-][:-][:-] Now I will say getting ready to start using these and having them in my home,I'm going to handle them and store them in a whole different way than any batterys i have used in the past over the years.This is a whole different can of worms.

I have nerver seen a battery that just from being droped on a hard surface,having a hole poked in it,or overcharging,and mabe in the hot trunk of a car that can turn into a fire ball in a matter of minutes.

This is not a post to claim "run for your life the sky is falling" ,but i can't but wonder how many people out there has these batteries and like me (up till now that is ) has not a clue as what can happen if not properly handled and even stored.

If your a new member here and just mabe getting into the models that use these battery's like myself,you need to read about these batteries and learn how to deal them with "safety" in mind.

BIGMIG

Type in search window.....and read (Understanding RC LiPo Batteries )

I would hate to guess how many times i have forgot that i had batterys hooked up to the charger (with the old wall chargers on glow fuel transmitters and receivers ) (and even some of my RC tank batterys )...........

A lot of good information in general and rather long but toward the bottom can show some of the dangers ....Very informative...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Understanding RC LiPo batteries (found this )(must read )

The fire hazard with lipos is very well known, so much so that it is pretty much standard practice to charge them on a fireproof surface or in a lipo bag. That said, if you use a proper lipo charger there is no chance of forgetting them on the charger and having a problem because the charger will terminate when the battery is full.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM
BIGMIG

Well judging from your membership date and amount of post you have made and you being here in the airplane section i will assume you have been keeping current on the information and all involved with LiPo batteries.Myself being in the RC tank section for the last several years and being away from RC flying for several years,and having "Zero Knowledge" about these batterys i must say i did pick up some some what i would call very usefull information in that post to say the least.Like i say electric RC planes and how everything thing works is going to take a while for this old dog "Me" to try to learn.For you most of this may be "old Hate" and no big deal.But i have found over the years here on the forum a lot can be learned from many of the members.Thats what i'm doing here now is trying to learn,and mabe others like myself will benifit along the way with me... And this is the beginner section...

BIGMIG

If this saves just one person from getting in trouble along the way it will be well worth my little time to point it out....

Allways like to list most of my posts........"for what it's worth"............
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

The fire hazard with lipos is very well known, so much so that it is pretty much standard practice to charge them on a fireproof surface or in a lipo bag. That said, if you use a proper lipo charger there is no chance of forgetting them on the charger and having a problem because the charger will terminate when the battery is full.
Please allow me to add one more thing to this. OUTDOORS!!! And away from anything you value. Not in the trunk of your car or on the front seat, nor on a the floor of your wooden front porch.. but well away from anything you value, and out doors.

These things can get out of control rather quickly and the damage they can do in just a short period of time can be devastating.

This is not to say that, with proper care and proper handling, they can ge absolutely safe, that's not exactly 100% true, but is probably the best way to say that they do need care and handling. I had a brand new one that, when I put it on the charger and during the charging time, it puffed up to almost twice it's normal size. I bought two of them from the same source, via mail order. One was fine, the other, as I said, puffed up and was obviously no good.

CGr.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a lipo fire...I saw it with my own eyes.....it is very hot and intense.....anything that is around will burn
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This ocurred months ago there was loud report as the speed control was plugged in and the flames reached five feet tall. The cause was never actually determined and the operator was an experianced electric flyer.

I was just feet away with a gallon of gasolene in my lap as I fueled my airplane from my wheelchair.

The last picture is what is left of the battery which exploded just like a kernal of Orville Redenbackers pop corn.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82031.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1743387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62217.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1743388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18792.jpg
Views:	26