Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Prop for H9 Alpha 40

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Prop for H9 Alpha 40

Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
pcolache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop for H9 Alpha 40

I have searched the forums regarding changing the 3 blade prop to a 2 blade. I think I'm going to go with an APC 11x6. My question is: has anyone who has this prop on this plane had any issues with ground clearance? My instructor mentioned that I may want to get a 2 blade prop, but he said there doesn't look like there is a lot of clearancebetween the prop and ground. Our airfield is grass. The plane is all stock. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Prop for H9 Alpha 40

The prop should be good, if you need clearance, just go up 1/4 to 1/2 in. in tire size on all 3 tires. That will make it roll easier in grass anyway. I still have my original Alpha 40, it's 11 or 12 years old.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 AM
pcolache

Thanks. That's what my guy was wondering if we had to get bigger tires.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A 10x6 would work too and let the engine rev up a bit quicker.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM
mudboger07

We fly off a grass field also with the same plane, we replaced the tired with a larger set and went to a 10/6 prop.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
opjose

I've changed many Alpha's over to 11x6 two blade props, and have not had many issues with prop clearance.

The Alpha gets the nose up rather quickly and settles on the two rear mains at landing, so if the grass at your field is cut, or you are landing on asphalt, it is not a big issue.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
VetteV12

I have a 11x6 on mine and I've tried a 10x6 and 10x7. I like the 11x6 the best but had to up the nose tire 2 sizes and I bent the mains a tad to lower them. She fly's great with it and I can get 20min a tank at half throttle. Lands WAY easier with my modifications that I made to the main gear, no more bouncing due to the stupid wire gear.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
pcolache

Sounds good Vette. Thanks for the info. The tips you mentioned sounds like they worked out very good for you. Will keep your ideas for the future. I haven't installed the new prop yet, but that time is coming.Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my students decide to change from the 3-blade to a 2-blade prop on their Alpha's, I tell them that the Hobbico NextStar 11 X 5 prop is one of the best you can use. I've tried the APC, MAS and Evolution props and found the NextStar prop the best for overall performance on the Alpha. Plus it was the cheapest cost wise of the bunch. An added bonus is the red tips are visible when it's running to help keep fingers out of the prop arc. The NextStar prop will work on a grass field with no change to the wheels.

In order to fit a lot of spinners, you'll have to either remove the flywheel weight (it'll slip off by placing it on a vise opened wide enouth to alow the hub to slip through yet support the flywheel, and using a socket, knock the hub out of it into a rag), or spend the $3.00 for a new hub.

Hogflyer
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
opjose

Hmmm... good advice.... particularly about using a prop with marked tips.

I'll have to switch my recommendation for the Alphas to that too.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
VetteV12

Do as hogflyer suggested about knocking the stupid flywheel off, but I used a larger socket and a smaller socket with a hammer. The engine runs much smoother. Been flying like it this for the past 3months.

I forgot to mention, all the props I used where APC. On towerhobbies they are cheap at $2 something and if you buy 6 you get discounted for one so it's like buy 5 get one free. I'm also using a DuBro aluminum prop nut not the plastic spinner. I hate the plastic spinner's but that's just my opinion. And if you want a colored tip, just paint it.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: VetteV12

Do as hogflyer suggested about knocking the stupid flywheel off, but I used a larger socket and a smaller socket with a hammer. The engine runs much smoother. Been flying like it this for the past 3months.
I would not suggest that for a beginner.

The flywheel acts to keep the engine idling even if the tuning is off. It also permits a slower safe idle, ( better on fingers! ).

On an Alpha it also helps with the balance of the plane.

However, once the flyer has advanced to the point that they are tiring of trainers, they can do as you say.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify - the reason I suggested removing the flywheel weight is some 2-blade spinners will not seat down properly on the hub with the flywheel weight on. It's a case of each individual spinner needs to be checked to see how well the back plate seats on the hub. If the back plate seats properly with the flywheel weight on, just leave the weight on. The X-tra Easy 2 club trainer I instructed with for several years had a 2-blade prop and the weight was not removed. It worked just fine.

Hogflyer
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
VetteV12

ORIGINAL: opjose

I would not suggest that for a beginner.

The flywheel acts to keep the engine idling even if the tuning is off. It also permits a slower safe idle, ( better on fingers! ).

On an Alpha it also helps with the balance of the plane.

However, once the flyer has advanced to the point that they are tiring of trainers, they can do as you say.

He shouldn't have a poorly tuned engine if he has an instructor like he says. I'm not sure what your experience is with the stupid flywheel but I hate them and took mine off after the 8th flight and will never look back. My engine along with the other guy I fly with have had less issues and a better/ lower idle with it off, while also getting a few more RPM's. I'm also progressing extrmely fast as I only started this 3months ago and I'm now flying a P51 and just bought an Edge 540. So if advancing makes that big of difference why in the world did I, along with my friend, take ours off when we where still "learning" to fly? I'm not trying to start an argument but this the reason I don't accosiate with any field and just fly with a group of friends. Do what you want but I'm just stating what a lot of others have about removing it and how much better it was, just do a google search because that's what I did when I decided to take mine off.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 AM
pcolache

I do have an instructor, and he keeps my engine tuned just right. I should be with him sometime within the next few days. I have allready mentioned to him about the weight. I will bring my new prop and spinner with me to the field and get his opinion before Ido anything. I have read a few posts where people have had a better experience with the weight removed. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
opjose

I'm not sure what your experience is with the stupid flywheel but I hate them and took mine off after the 8th flight and will never look back.
My experience with the PTS engines is somewhat extensive, since most people showing up for training have Alpha's and we do a LOT of training on them.

The first thing we do is to properly set up the student's plane.

The flywheel was put there for good reason, and unless it is somehow interfering with operation, it should be left on the engine being used by the novice.

It can indeed be removed later once the beginner has progressed to the point that they understand engine tuning a bit better and the engine has been flown and broken in.

So if advancing makes that big of difference why in the world did I, along with my friend, take ours off when we where still ''learning'' to fly?
That you did something a bit more unconventional is not in question, however advising that novices remove the flywheel immediately is not good advice.

I'm not trying to start an argument but this the reason I don't accosiate with any field and just fly with a group of friends.
That's a rationalization for not joining a club and has nothing to do with this engine nor the advice given.

Do what you want but I'm just stating what a lot of others have about removing it and how much better it was

The presence of the flywheel improves idle and prevents deadsticks.

It is often removed while installing a different prop, and the engine is retuned in the process.

This is often mistaken for "improving" the engine because of the flywheel alone.

In actual practice the flywheel has only a small effect on the top end but the benefits, particularly for a novice are important.

just do a google search because that's what I did when I decided to take mine off.
non-sequitor.