Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WARNING BE CAREFUL

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WARNING BE CAREFUL

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WARNING BE CAREFUL

Oh man... jeech...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
spog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone could make a pretty good profit if they came up with a compact little remote device where the hot shot could be placed farther from the prop like the simple remote needle valve.
That is a standard item on most helis, a remote glow adapter. You can easily make one with an old glow plug a finishing nail and some 5 minute epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85885.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1746814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15857.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1746815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73123.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1746816  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Valve floater

Thanks spog1. Very easy solution. Common on war birds but can be mounted for under $3 dollars and save your fingers.Have a couple of them myself.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Rehearse all your motions ahead of time.
Never be in a hurry to make anything happen that wasn't rehearsed ahead of time.
Think before you react.
Allow for not just surprise bursts of power, but also sudden losses of power that can catch you by surprise.
Constantly ask yourself how you could economize your hand movements and how you could streamline/simplify your activities around the engine.
Don't be a spastic, shaky Dude as you go about your business. Be calm and methodical no matter what.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill look for my pics, they are all after the surgery and stiches and pins were installed. It still looks PG13 so they may not allow it on the site. I may even have the Xrays of the pins. That really brings to home the intensity of the aftermath.

Ironic thing is we were training a rookie to be a part of the starting procedure for this Giant Scale Pylon Racers. When he wasnt listening (couldnt hear over the roar of the motor), I just proceded to grab as I normally would do, but instead of me being in the back where I would normally be, I was in the front so he could be in the back learning.

I was fortunate it didnt dislocate the knuckle, but unfortunate as it took the entire knuckle out and flung it in many small pieces all over the tarmac.
I had to hold the hanging chad in place to keep from losing it on the ground.
Your mind says, "Its not gonna be good". Then your eyes look to validate what you already know in your mind, and then adreneline kicks in to prevent shock and awe. Then the pain releases. Fortunately for me the morphine kicked in before I totally went out. Unfortunately it was right as the helicopter was taking off and I missed my one and only heli ride.

I am blessed as I still have all the fingers, as the surgeon was able to sew on the dangling digit, and repair the other knuckles and sew a few million stitches and do some grafting.
They may no longer bend, but they are there.

In all seriousness, being anal and having a set standard of procedures is a must. You dont want to go through it.
There are enough hazards in life and the joy of flying doesnt need to be one of them.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
ratshooter

I am glad this thread was started. Its always good to be reminded of just how quick you can be injured for a few weeks or forever. I am going to post a link of a picture of a marines hand that was blown apart when he decided to use a 50 caliber BMG round as a hammer to drive pins in a machine gun and struck the primer.

THIS IS VERY GRAPHIC!!! DO NOT LOOK IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACHE AND ARE EASILY DISTURBED!!! There are the warnings. Life can be changed in an instant with just a couple of seconds of inattentionto safety. This is a reminder. Please be careful what ever you are doing.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=316296
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM
ratshooter

I worked in a wood shop that made window and door units. The old style that were made from wood. The place was called Texas Sash And Door. I was about 15 feet from a man running a Shaper. Pretty much a very large router with the blade sticking through the top of the table. The guy was running a wood disc about 8" in diameter through it and the wood split. He shoved his hand in the blade and it cut off three fingers. Ruined for life. He had taken off the guard to make the parts feed easier.

My dad was a machinest. He said the two most dangerous machines in his shop filled with lathes andmills was a grinder and a drill press because they are quiet and don't shake the floor. People tend to be more relaxed and careless around them. I would like to add a band saw to that. And I bet most of us have and use those three machines.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

I haven't gotten my fingers yet, but I have come close. I did manage to slice the side of my arm on a running engine I happened to bump into ( to stupid to explain ). Took a buncha stiches to close it up.

It might be a good idea if we all tried to use remote ignitors located on the side or to the rear of the fuse. It would keep people from trying to reach over the prop. Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: MFLOOD3800

Ill look for my pics, they are all after the surgery and stiches and pins were installed. It still looks PG13 so they may not allow it on the site. I may even have the Xrays of the pins. That really brings to home the intensity of the aftermath.

Ironic thing is we were training a rookie to be a part of the starting procedure for this Giant Scale Pylon Racers. When he wasnt listening (couldnt hear over the roar of the motor), I just proceded to grab as I normally would do, but instead of me being in the back where I would normally be, I was in the front so he could be in the back learning.

I was fortunate it didnt dislocate the knuckle, but unfortunate as it took the entire knuckle out and flung it in many small pieces all over the tarmac.
I had to hold the hanging chad in place to keep from losing it on the ground.
Your mind says, ''Its not gonna be good''. Then your eyes look to validate what you already know in your mind, and then adreneline kicks in to prevent shock and awe. Then the pain releases. Fortunately for me the morphine kicked in before I totally went out. Unfortunately it was right as the helicopter was taking off and I missed my one and only heli ride.

I am blessed as I still have all the fingers, as the surgeon was able to sew on the dangling digit, and repair the other knuckles and sew a few million stitches and do some grafting.
They may no longer bend, but they are there.

In all seriousness, being anal and having a set standard of procedures is a must. You dont want to go through it.
There are enough hazards in life and the joy of flying doesnt need to be one of them.
[X(] ...damn!!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was bitten too by a prop a couple years ago. I have alot more respect for propellers now. It can happen in an instant if you let your gaurd down.

Name:	Jh16839.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1747148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48030.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1747149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14897.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1747150  
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It amuses me the way lots of clubs ban jets usually waving the safety flag.

When you think about it 90% of injuries to modellers involve the propeller
so statistically jets are probably amongst the safest models along with gliders.

So there you go, feel free to show your wives the new 'safety'model you just
bought & explain how much safer it is so she can see the reasoning.

Here's a nice safe model! - John.

Name:	Ur51992.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1747911  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM
alfredbmor

I have had my share, just like someone wrote before, instinct play a lot here, as common sense and safety measurements, in my case, , the plane wanted to fall from the bench while I was messing with the tx, instinctively my left hand wanted to grab the fuse trying to avoid the prop, but it got two of my left hand fingers, luckily the engine was at idle, but I ended with several stitches on both fingers and lost the feel on the tip of those fingers. I like the APC propellers but I consider them the most dangerous of all, luckily for me, that day I was using a friendly top flite wood prop. I use to sand my APC props and balance them with red, blue and white paint on tips so I can be able to have a good visual of t he danger zone.