Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WARNING BE CAREFUL

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WARNING BE CAREFUL

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
ckreef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WARNING BE CAREFUL

Without the graphic pics nobody will really learn from his mistake. Sort of a wasted thread IMHO
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
edwal07

Hey guys,
  I too was bit a couple months ago!  However my Saito 150 was not running.  I have an on board glow driver, the electric starter stopped as the engine had fuel lock.  So absentmindedly I used my hand to roll it backward to unlock it, I only moved it to top dead center when it backfired and caught me on my middle finger just above the end joint.  The APC 16x8 went to the bone and hit me like a ton of bricks.  The shock was unbelieveable.  It actually dented the prop where it hit the bone.  Luckly I had a Fireman/EMT holding my plane.  13 stiches later and alot of blood resulted in no cut tendons but no feeling in half the tip of my finger.  I should have known better but compeletely ignored the on board glow.  It dosen't have to be running to be deadly!  Keep that in the back of your mind!!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Live Wire

People say pictures make them SICK waite till you see the real thing happen and then see what you do or can do[:@]
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23441.gif
Views:	12
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1746130  
Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Valve floater

Gas is safer? Even though i hand crank my DLE 55 i feel it is safer. I flew glow for years and still do. I have been hurt mostly by my glow engines and electric. Funny thing is, that if you have a 32cc or 55cc chainsaw it is not known as a toy! I have had a minor kick back on gas and little pain and no cut. Electric is by far the worst. The motor won`t stop cutting. Glow to me is 2nd for the reaching over the prop deal to take the ignitor off. I`ve never done it but i have seen it done. I have to watch when i`m flying both gas and glow the same day. You can forget quick and mess up.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

Being a hunter .. I know what blood and  guts looks like .. Just  the other day ... I almost  reached through the prop while tuning my Saito 125 .  Wow , it was close ...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Sorry Bill, I had to remove them. They were a bit too graphic.

Now I gotta go eat breakfast again
Thank you MOD. 13 years without incidents with my fingers. Every saturday when i am taking my plane from my car i think: "this will be the day?"
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
koastrc

Two folks out at the field, Both been around for years. One of the dudes has a fifty size gasoline engine on the test stand. The other dude is doing what we all do best, watching. The guy doing the looking tells the guy doing the running he has a problem. The guy running the engine gets mad at the guy doing the looking. So the looking guy walks to the club house. Things pick up after that. The running guy runs up the engine. The prop flies apart and one of the blades stick him in the chest. Now he is at the mercy of the guy he is mad at. Sixteen hours later the hole in the chest is not that deep. The hole is patched up. The dude is out of commission for a couple of weeks.
The truth is. These things are what they are and no one can be careful enough. The guy that was running the engine is a long time aviator with ten tons of experience. It appears he also has or had ten tons of pride. I could go on with this story. I think we all get the picture. As bad as it was, it could have been much worst. Gas, glo, or electric. They are all what they are: WARNING BE CAREFUL
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the originator of this thread don't mind this post..........I'll call it the deffinition of a "MORON" and pretty sure if you look up MORON his picture will be there.

I just bought an electric Cessna 182 and i'm new to electric models and was looking on youtube to see some of them being flown.

Found this ........... (cessna 182 rc plane crash)
uploaded budgetrcwest
ALSO By wickedinsight

A few things to pay attention to here..
Its a parking lot somewhere (don't know where this is )with several cars parked around that can be seen.
A dog walking around under his feet.
Several people right next to him and a very small baby (looks like just starting to walk ) walking around close to
him.
What you really need to pay attention to is this crash in slow motion and how close this "moron" came to having this plane hit two people standing at the back of their car doing something in the trunk.?

BIGMIG

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that I will forever remember taking a very good friend to the emergency room carrying what was left of his fingers in my hand.

There is no picture that will remind me more of the hazard more than that day. I shall wish each and every one of you a better day and don't take any prop or helicopter blade for granted.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those who complained about my removing the pics, I'm sorry, just do a google search if you need to see blood.

For those of you who thanked me for removing them, you're welcome - That's why I did it.

Hope you're feeling better Bill.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: goirish

Sorry to hear and see that Bill. Good thing you are a Marine, if you had been in another branch you would have passed out. OK, guys I know when I say another branch. (maybe the GS)

Wrong, we at USAF are tougher than the sissy Marines
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

This is not a picture but shows what can happen so click on this if you dare Mod. might remove it thats OK if he does i beleive it was posted on RCU forum once before and that is where i got it from and is a reminder of what props can do..i nailed the back of 3 fingers on my B-17 on start up once didn,t need stitches just good cleaning but true to my nature i took paper towel and electric tape wrap around it and then flew i forgot we had 1st aid kit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXyY...zlJ8gxRhdcrkw&
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 AM
fly24-7

About three years back, I got my index finger with the prop. I had just started my plane, removed the glow driver and went to pick-up my transmitter with my left hand to advance the throttle to do a run-up. In doing so, I lost my grip with the left hand and instinctively grabbed for the transmitter with my right hand. Problem was, in reaching out with my right hand I made contact with the prop. I'm thankful the plane was still at idle. I literally felt every swipe of the propeller, about 4 or 5, before I was able to get my finger out of there. It created a about a 3/4 inch long cut in the side of my finger down to the bone (I was staring at bone just as it started to bleed) [X(]. It was an APC prop. Anyone who uses these knows they're Ginsu knifes when they're not spinning...

Fortunately, a fellow club member saw my reaction out of the corner of his eye and knew that I had gotten "bit." He quickly grabbed the first aid kit and helped me get bandaged up and get my gear broken-down and into my car. From there, I drove over to urgent care and announced, "here to get stitched-up."

The moral of my story is that I "thought" that I was very careful in how I moved around a spinning prop. Always very careful with engine tuning and glow driver removal. However, in an attempt to save my transmitter from potential damage, I traded an injured finger and medical bills in return [:@]. Looking back, not a good trade-off...

I now position my transmitter within arms reach, but well away from the prop at start-up. While the scar's barely visible, I hope it never goes completely away. Looking at my finger is an important reminder to stay vigilant...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Wrong again!!!! Us USNavy men are tougher than all you other candy as**s put together...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 AM
levram1

Not that it helps alot, but I take thosr APCprops and knock that knife edge down with some sandpaper. I don't like Ginsu knives period.
ORIGINAL: fly24-7

About three years back, I got my index finger with the prop. I had just started my plane, removed the glow driver and went to pick-up my transmitter with my left hand to advance the throttle to do a run-up. In doing so, I lost my grip with the left hand and instinctively grabbed for the transmitter with my right hand. Problem was, in reaching out with my right hand I made contact with the prop. I'm thankful the plane was still at idle. I literally felt every swipe of the propeller, about 4 or 5, before I was able to get my finger out of there. It created a about a 3/4 inch long cut in the side of my finger down to the bone (I was staring at bone just as it started to bleed) [X(]. It was an APC prop. Anyone who uses these knows they're Ginsu knifes when they're not spinning...

Fortunately, a fellow club member saw my reaction out of the corner of his eye and knew that I had gotten "bit." He quickly grabbed the first aid kit and helped me get bandaged up and get my gear broken-down and into my car. From there, I drove over to urgent care and announced, "here to get stitched-up."

The moral of my story is that I "thought" that I was very careful in how I moved around a spinning prop. Always very careful with engine tuning and glow driver removal. However, in an attempt to save my transmitter from potential damage, I traded an injured finger and medical bills in return [:@]. Looking back, not a good trade-off...

I now position my transmitter within arms reach, but well away from the prop at start-up. While the scar's barely visible, I hope it never goes completely away. Looking at my finger is an important reminder to stay vigilant...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

ORIGINAL: levram1

Us US Navy men are tougher than all you other candy as**s put together...
Gimme a break! I was in the Navy AND the Air Force, and we're way too smart to do the fighting ourselves.

Send the Marines!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
levram1

MARINES????Just ask those black eyed jarheads at Subic Bay!! LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about any of them. We got the remains after there was no blood left. [:'(]

CGr.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Gimme a break! I was in the Navy AND the Air Force, and we're way too smart to do the fighting ourselves.

Send the Marines!
LOL HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA Will fight for you anyday Minn Even with one hand
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

MARINES???? Just ask those[img][/img] black eyed jarheads at Subic Bay!! LOL [img][/img]
SUBIC BAY! you are telling your age with that comment. I do remember waking up from night out with two black eyes and no idea how I got them. Haven't touched whiskey since, and that was 1978[8D]
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: spog1

These are toys. All my toys are dangerous.

I like to think a lot of my posts serve a purpose.......What does a post like this serve.??

BIGMIG []
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM
levram1

Burial detail, huh?
ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I don't know about any of them. We got the remains after there was no blood left. [:'(]

CGr.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
levram1

And proud to have done it!!!
ORIGINAL: billd76

MARINES????Just ask those[img][/img] black eyed jarheads at Subic Bay!! LOL [img][/img]
SUBIC BAY! you are telling your age with that comment. I do remember waking up from night out with two black eyes and no idea how I got them. Haven't touched whiskey since, and that was 1978[8D]
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Send the Marines!
And while ya'll are gee-gawkin and backslappin.. an Army Ranger would have quietly shot some CA onto it and moved on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.