Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I feel like a NIMROD

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I feel like a NIMROD

Old 08-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I feel like a NIMROD

I started training a new pilot today that I met through here, timnbrody. Tim had some time on the Sim and it really paid off for him and he does real well and his orientation is great, Had him doing circles and figure 8's with no problems so I had he doing approaches up high and I feel he won't be long on a trainer box and today was his first day. Now after having him do all kinds of stuff I went to bring it in and our field is surrounded by trees so you have to go over the tops of the trees and drop down for the landing so I lined up for the approach over the trees and right after I got over the trees (So I thought) I started dropping down to Land and the front wheel snagged the top of the tree :stupid: We got it down with minor damage to the rudder but we had it fixed right at the field.... MAN was my depth perception off today, I'm glad there was not a lot of damage and I told Tim if there was damage I would fix it for him (I felt like MUD) and he is a great sport and is looking to be a great pilot in the making so congrads on your first few flights today Tim and I'll try to keep your plane out of the trees for now on.

Dauntae
Old 08-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The depth perception thing is the biggest surprise for me in model flying. I have landed just to one side of the runway in the grass a couple of times for no reason other than just thinking I was okay. Very odd, but I am aware of it now.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:19 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The depth perception thing can catch us all. I was making a long landing approach with a new bipe a few years ago. It was a bit tail heavy, so I was keeping it further out than usual on the downwind and base legs, so I could keep the approach shallow. I was certain that I was 50 to 100 feet inside the tree line, ended up putting it into the top of the tallest tree.

There was no way to climb it, didn't have poles long enough. Tied rope to a wrench thinking I could toss it over the branch and shake it down. Wrench went over the branch on the second toss, then proceeded to wrap around the branch about three times. :stupid: It's still up there as far as I know.

Went back the next day with about ten sections of aluminum pole and a 20 foot ladder. My plane was on the ground at the base of the tree; it had been a windy night.

Congratulations on the great start timnbrody!
Dennis-
Old 08-31-2003, 01:49 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

You'd be suprised how much people suck at distance judging and depth perception.

I used to be a semi-professional hunter and when they came available I would carry one of the laser range finders with me all the time.

When I would guide hunters I'd quiz them from time to time. The "average" person is so far off past 40 yards it's not even funny.

Stuff at 300 yards was commonly guessed to be 100 to 800 yards away. The further away the object/animal the worse it got.

If you have a laser rangefinder for other purposes (like target shooting, hunting) you can carry it around with (even at the field) and practice and it REALLY helps get your eye adjusted to the right distance.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:58 AM
Teresa

DBCherry,
I don't feel so bad now....I have a padlock haning from a tree too!!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:07 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

The simple solution is to CUT DOWN THE DAMN TREES

Hehehe
Old 08-31-2003, 09:26 AM
whizzard
My Feedback: (2)

Default Airplane Retreiver

I am a "newbee" again and am glad to know that I am not the only pilot that has lost a plane in a tree top.

I just got my Fire Bird Commander last week and have had a fun time learning to fly again after about 25 yrs away from the hobby. (Silly 68 yr old man with time to be a kid again).

I think the Commander is an easy to fly, tough little plane that is great for beginners.

The main problem with my commander has been landing it too high. (Tree tops).

When I flew it the second time, it was getting dark and I misjudged the distance to the tree line around the field and hit a tree about 20ft up

We were in a HUGE hayfield behind my friends house so we got an extension ladder and a tree trimmer with a saw attached to the end.

I managed to shake the plane loose with the tree trimmer and didn't have to cut the limb off.

Only a tiny nick in the front of the wing.

Early the next morning I had my last flight with some wind and when I saw I was going into the trees I gave it full left rudder but since that was the wind direction it continued straight into the trees, about 50ft off the ground.

No ladder or stick could reach it safely so I went to the Wall Mart sports dept, bought a $10.00 sling shot, a cheap, spin off the front/bail type fishing reel (about $10.00), 250ft of 3lb test fishing line, a package of 6 3/4oz egg shaped line weights that have a hole through the center and 4 hose clamps in the autmotive dept.

At home I cut a 10" piece off an old broom handle, clamped it on the front bottom of the sling shot, clamped the reel below the front of the stick, loaded the reel, tied on the lead weight.

Plane Retreiver!!

I aimed for the plane and had to train myself to get accurate. The fishing line came off several times and got tangled up so bad I had to cut it off and reload it.

While missing several times, I tangled up the sinker on branches and had to wrap the line around the end of the broomstick and pull hard enough to break the line.

I took about 50 shots with the Plane Retreiver and finally hooked it over the right branch of the tree, made sure it got tangled on branch and shook it till the Commander fell loose.

$30.00 solution for retreiving a $150.00 investment and I still have my retreiver for other "too high landings"!

It was almost flying when it hit the ground.

Only slight bumps on the front of the wing.

I then made sure that I broke the fishing line loose from the tree so birds would not try to use it as nesting material and get tangled up in it.

Bill in West Virginia
Old 09-01-2003, 07:00 PM
necorc

Bill, when you said you had a plain retriever my first instinct was to wonder if it was a lab or spaniel :-)

We have a few trees near our field but they don't give anyone too much trouble. Now the fence at the end of the runway is a different story! We've got pvc on the top wire for easy identification but people still snag it from time to time. One tip a member shared was to watch for the shadow of the plane, when it's passed your hazzard (tree/fence/cow) you should be clear.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Spaceclam

trees have a habbit of reaching out and snagging your model when you are most vounerable.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 PM
iowanspctr

This new use of the name "Nimrod" puzzles me. It's an old biblical name that shows up in my geneaology a couple of times. According to Genesis 10.9 he was the son of Cush, a grandson of Noah, and was "a mighty hunter before the Lord". In nineteenth century literature it's not uncommon to see a hunter referred to as a "Nimrod". I guess we live in a post-literate society, but I fail to see how a favorable reference gets turned into a readily perceived negative one.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Dauntae

Originally posted by iowanspctr I guess we live in a post-literate society,
This IS a "R/C forum NOT a literary forum so please keep criticism to R/C topic with us post-literate forum members.

Dauntae
Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 AM
timnbrody

Default Re: I feel like a NIMROD

Originally posted by Dauntae
I started training a new pilot today that I met through here, timnbrody. Tim had some time on the Sim and it really paid off for him and he does real well and his orientation is great, Had him doing circles and figure 8's with no problems so I had he doing approaches up high and I feel he won't be long on a trainer box and today was his first day. Now after having him do all kinds of stuff I went to bring it in and our field is surrounded by trees so you have to go over the tops of the trees and drop down for the landing so I lined up for the approach over the trees and right after I got over the trees (So I thought) I started dropping down to Land and the front wheel snagged the top of the tree :stupid: We got it down with minor damage to the rudder but we had it fixed right at the field.... MAN was my depth perception off today, I'm glad there was not a lot of damage and I told Tim if there was damage I would fix it for him (I felt like MUD) and he is a great sport and is looking to be a great pilot in the making so congrads on your first few flights today Tim and I'll try to keep your plane out of the trees for now on.

Dauntae

Well, Duantae,

Just went through the plane today, and cleaned it up real good. It looks as good as new, and ready for my second lesson. Although the plane just cartwheeled around the top of the tree, I am impressed that it came out with barely a scratch on it. I'm hoping to get out again on Saturday as it seems I can't get in the air again soon enough.

To anyone new to the hobby and serious about wanting to learn. The real flight Sim was one of the best investments I made before taking my plane up on its maiden flight. I have about 20 hours on real flight and other than the nervousness of actually flying for real, once the plane was in the air and my instructor gave me the controls ( via buddy box ) it felt no different than the Sim. Its definitly the way to go, and I can see why everyone experienced in this hobby recommends one for someone starting out.

Again Duantae, don't feel bad about the plane, she's good to go. I'm just glad you did it and not me, as it probably would have shot my confidence. LoL Tim
Old 09-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Dauntae

Default Re: Re: I feel like a NIMROD

[QUOTE]Originally posted by timnbrody
Again Duantae, don't feel bad about the plane, she's good to go. I'm just glad you did it and not me, as it probably would have shot my confidence. LoL Tim [/QUOTE
Actually Tim I gave you one of my more valuable lessons I was showing you what NOT to do Yea I meant to do it YEA That's it.....

Be glad to do it for you any time you feel the need for that lesson again.

Dauntae
Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Spaceclam

i know that feeling. i can feel it when somebody crashes somebody else's plane and i am not even involved. god how embarrassing