Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I tried to warn him

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I tried to warn him

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I tried to warn him

I like the reverse taxi feature. nice close up shot of power lines! kook
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flycatch

This is one staged event and it appears you have been suckered into believing the story. Why would you have an onboard video camera to record the event. Is RCUniverse turning into a UTube channel.
Staged or not, it was totally cool to watch!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM
tmaucher

blah blah blah that was awsome
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
KitBuilder

Im not sure why all think was so "cool". Maybe its the "expendable nature of the hobby that has introduced the masses in recent years. Just go buy another one?

If he hit the powerlines and casued damage, it would have been a serious black eye for all and on our sport / hobby. Something tells me his punishment for being a complete idiot would have affected us all. ARFs are great for introducing the masses, unfortunately when you don't work for sometihng that you attain other than a hour at your kitchen table. your likely to be reckless.

The fact the "pilot", and i use the term loosely, pulled the plane back by hand with virtually a 360 degree unobstructed field speaks volumes.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Greenfuelboy
My Feedback: (60)

Years ago my brother hit and knocked over a wood power pole with a transformer on it. The electric company charged him $20,000 for the repair bill. The airplane this guy was flying is little but if he hit one of theporcelaininsulators and caused a black out it would be hell on his wallet. He can go here on RCU or the AMA website and look up RC clubs in your state. I am sure you could find a nice instructor and not try to cause any more black outs.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ARFs are great for introducing the masses, unfortunately when you don't work for sometihng that you attain other than a hour at your kitchen table. your likely to be reckless.
Not all of us that put together ARFs are reckless. Saying that putting together an ARF would likely make us reckless is a reckless statement. Those that fly like this are going to do it regardless of what the nature of the build is.

CGr.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Man, I watched the video 1 frame at a time as it went past the power lines- amazing! I can't believe he didn't collide with them. Heck, at about 2:22 I froze the video and I could count the individual conductors in the power line. Unreal. At 2:23 the camera looks to be an inch or 2 from the wire!

I hope this guy gets help... I tried to teach someone like this how to fly once, but had to give up because he wouldn't listen. To this day people scatter at the club when he walks to the flight line with an airplane! [X(] He actually flew THROUGH the pit area at chest height once...length-wise... outa control the whole way. Sheesh.

Good luck to your friend, I hope things work out for him!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM
goirish

And, he is still a member of your club.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
skeletor507

First of all the power wires were not as close to us as you might think. My local club has wires right at one end of the runway, and second we chose this spot so that we would have the open area to fly up wind from us. What you don't see while the plane is at idle, is all the chain link fences marking bounderies for sports fields. Oh and by the way flycatch, itwas not staged by any means. My buddy and I are both new to this hobby, I have just done more of my homework then he has, and when I tried to give him the answers he ignored me. He decided to put an onboard camera on, because he uses the same camera for riding his quad. It takes really nice video and is really durable, and thought that video from a first person view would look really good no matter what happens. So if anyone else has a snide comment on the video and the like, please go talk to a brick, because I don't wanna hear it. I know what we did was wrong, but like the title says, "I Tried To Warn Him." Everyone says that you should have a spotter and that is all I was there for. Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
CGRetired

Listen, guys. The point here is that the person trying to fly his Nexstar should have never done so, especially in the location he was trying to fly.

This is not about the video, but about the reckless nature of the attempt at flight.

CGr
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: goirish

And, he is still a member of your club.
Irish, both the person making the attempt at flying the Nexstar and the person observing would have a tough time justifying this in our club.

CGr.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the point , go to a club and get some help , someone could have gotten hurt and then we all would have a black eye
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

i liked this video
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

he almost scored a hole in one on the disc golf basket on the takeoff !
Old 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
tfowen53

Go to a club? The closest club here in Dawsonville GA charges $250.00. Thats a lot just to see if you like the hobby. The club I started learning to fly with when I was stationed in Germany was $60.00. I think that around here they just don't want any new folks in the hobby unless you have lot of $$$.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why they call it a NEXT STAR. Next. Mama always said stupid is as stupid does
Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM
BountyHunter51

$250.00 for club membership? ......looks like he spent more than that on his first flying lesson.....but that's just me......
Cheers!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
tmaucher

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Im not sure why all think was so ''cool''. Maybe its the ''expendable nature of the hobby that has introduced the masses in recent years. Just go buy another one?

If he hit the powerlines and casued damage, it would have been a serious black eye for all and on our sport / hobby. Something tells me his punishment for being a complete idiot would have affected us all. ARFs are great for introducing the masses, unfortunately when you don't work for sometihng that you attain other than a hour at your kitchen table. your likely to be reckless.

The fact the ''pilot'', and i use the term loosely, pulled the plane back by hand with virtually a 360 degree unobstructed field speaks volumes.
The reason some dont join clubs is people like you that seam to thank that building a kit is better than flying an arf. What percentage of kit builts crash and are uncontrollable on the maiden. If you like to do what I pay a china man to do, do it. Shoot maybe Ill hire you to build my kits but dont be elitest because you do. You have any idea how many close calls there are in RC that you just dont see because there is no camera on board. This in no way excuses reckless behavior, but I still say sweet.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
ckreef

ORIGINAL: tfowen53

The closest club here in Dawsonville GA charges $250.00.
I hope that comes with a man servant to fuel and start your plane for you

Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
tmaucher

ORIGINAL: ckreef

I hope that comes with a man servant to fuel and start your plane for you [img][/img]

Manservant? Why have I not thought of that before. Can I call them HopSing, that goes back, does anybody know what Im talking about? Hint Lil Joe
Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: skeletor507

First of all the power wires were not as close to us as you might think...
Not that close? It was 6 seconds from lift off to the power lines.

This is a sad event on so many levels.

It's wishful thinking, but it would be nice to hope that the two individuals involved might someday appreciate this.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM
skeletor507

ORIGINAL: Silvaire

Not that close? It was 9 seconds from beginning the take off roll to the power lines.

This is a sad event on so many levels.
Yeah not that close. It don't take long to get very far at WOT. You should know this.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
poison

Don't know why you posted the video if you did not want comments lol what you think were going to say that looks to me he went right throw them now if he could just land he would be awesome! But on a more serius note for real get help get a simulator and practice on that and don't try to fly a model airplane intell you can fly the one on sim first. I trained two of my friends and we used sim for a few weeks than I buddy boxed them on one of my planes and had no problems. Hey we all make mistakes hope he learned a lesson from this so many people think that flying planes is easy or they are toys and think they don't need help and than you just end up crashing your plane or worse hitting somones house or car or even worse them. Hope your friend can learn how to do this wounderful hobby without hurting him or someone else good luck to you guys
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: pcolache

Amazing. Watched the power line part a few times. My wife even got a kick out of that.

I had to show it to my wife and she cant stop laughing. sorry bout your loss but, come on you hear it over and over. " get an instructor first "
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: ckreef

I hope that comes with a man servant to fuel and start your plane for you [img][/img]

Hey, they even fly it for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.