Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Finally SOLOed!!!Cross Wind and All

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Finally SOLOed!!!Cross Wind and All

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:35 PM
motor710-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally SOLOed!!!Cross Wind and All

Well, I finally did it, I soloed. It took about 10 weeks and the last four weeks were nothing but cross winds about 10 mph out of the east and south east. My instructor said it was time to pull the chord and do it on my own. Two great flights without the buddy box, including landings. I then went out 3 days later and flew on my own, just me and a light south wind. The first flight was a knee nocker and my hands were shaking like you would not believe. With all of the shaking I landed in one piece!!! Flights 2,3, and 4 went great. My question is, " When does the knee nocking go away or does it ever on the first flight.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:20 PM
ZachK

Well, let me first say congratulations!! Second, I just recently solo'ed for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and I know all about the shaking hands and knees. I didn't even notice when it stopped happening, but it did quit sometime in the past 2 weeks.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:38 PM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Way to go!

Now it is time to start the 3 P's of RC flying = Practice, Practice and More Practice. Plan your flights so that you work on one or two maneuvers each flight. A painless way to become a good flyer.

Also, this is the time to start practicing touch-and-goes - really gives you confidence on your landings, especially when you go on to other planes.

Now, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, aftre 25 years of RC flying, I still get a case of the mini-knee knocks on the first flight of every new airplane. Likewise, I still get a warm feeling when I remember the day I solo'ed.

Take care and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Jim C.

congrats.. and like klumsy .. i usually get the shakes on the first flight if i havent flown in awhile and always on a new plane..
Old 08-31-2003, 06:58 PM
Ghostbear

Default Beware

I've only been flying 18 months, most of the time I don't have "stage fright", but it does come back for special occasions like:

After a mishap.
When its windy.
Before my "qualifying flight" at my new club.
After a long layoff.

I find that if I'm nervous, I get the bird ready to go, then instead of turning the engine over, I go and chat with some of the guys, then come back to fly.

If you're too nervous, you can make that crucial mistake.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:48 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

motor,
Congratulations! I remember my solo very well, and still get the shakes myself after 8 years.

I hadn't been able to fly from last September until July of this year. My first few flights caused some minor tremors. Then, last Sunday the wind was a steady 20 MPH, gusting to 30 (a friend said 35, but...), anyway, I put up three flights and every one of them really had the adrenalin pumping!

It will never leave you completely. It will just take progressively more harrowing experiences to bring it on.

As has been mentioned; practice!
Dennis-
Old 09-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

It goes away pretty fast...at least it did for me.

The wind was blowing pretty hard straight down the runway when I soloed but after trying for a few weeks the instructor just said "Go now or forever hold your peace".

Trying to turn into the wind doing the pattern I had to bank near 90 degrees and pull a lot of elevator to keep the wind from pushing me over the no fly area.

Plane snap rolled and I caught it about 3 feet (I remember looking down at my plane) and flew another 10 minutes or so before landing.

When I made it back down and into the pits they thought I had been hit by a radio problem - but coming from full scale experience I knew exactly what happened. Anyway I came back the next day and flew till my batteries were down all the way with a few people there and I was still pretty nervous.

Next time I went I was all alone and I found by the second flight I was no longer nervous but in a "groove" with the plane. Been like that ever since.

My advice - fly very often after you solo and then if you have to you can cut back after you've got it ingrained into you.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:40 PM
motor710-RCU

Thanks for the Words of Wisdom.....Motor
Old 09-01-2003, 06:07 PM
TexasOutlaw

Congrats on the solo! I just soloed myself last saturday.

Good stuff eh?