Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Older planes upgrading to 2.4 tech. question?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Older planes upgrading to 2.4 tech. question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
diablo9861

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older planes upgrading to 2.4 tech. question?

Looking at buying some older planes for a reasonable price, but they are on the older 72Mhz setup. I was wondering about the difficulty of switching them over to the spektrum 2.4Ghz sertup. Is it as simple as swapping the receiver and ESC or is it more in depth? I have tried searching on conversions, but the main thing i kept finding was conversions for older radios not the actual planes them selves. Any help on this would be great.

THanks,

Brad
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Older planes upgrading to 2.4 tech. question?

It really is as simple as plugging the servos into the new receiver. If the planes are really old, they may have the "old style" Futaba plugs which will require you to solder on a new connector. Also, be wary of the old servos. If the planes were stored outdoors, thermal cycling and corrosion have taken their toll. You also should check if the old servos can use 6v power if you're going with a Spektrum or JR system since they have a history of browning out with 4.8v.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Older planes upgrading to 2.4 tech. question?

I bought the Hitec 2.4 module for my Futaba 9-C radio to make it 2.4 then just started buying new Hitec RXs for my planes, very simple. Just remove the old RX and plug in the servo leads, bind and fly. There is a bit more to it like checking everything out but that's normal even when I installed any new RX in 72. Not a big thinker.