Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

binding question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

binding question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 AM
penny1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default binding question

Hi,

As a beginner I am having some difficulty with my new Spectrum DX-5e radio. I bind it to one plane and then when I bind it to another, I find the first one is no longer bound. Also when I shut it down it seems to lose it's connection when I turn it on again.I can't keep pulling out the reciever to do a rebind process.

Do I need to put the bind plug back in for each time I try to fly a plane? Should I just leave the bind plug in all the time?

I must be doing something wrong, but what? I would appreciate any help possible.

Penny1

Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: binding question

ORIGINAL: penny1

Hi,

As a beginner I am having some difficulty with my new Spectrum DX-5e radio. I bind it to one plane and then when I bind it to another, I find the first one is no longer bound. Also when I shut it down it seems to lose it's connection when I turn it on again.I can't keep pulling out the reciever to do a rebind process.

Do I need to put the bind plug back in for each time I try to fly a plane? Should I just leave the bind plug in all the time?

I must be doing something wrong, but what? I would appreciate any help possible.

Penny1

If I am not mistaken the 5e does not store models so to use it with multiple planes would just require a small note pad with the individual needs of other planes to make the transitions and bind to each receiver each time because it has only one model memory.

I used to have a 5e but I upgraded to one that has the capability to store the models and I don't remember all the ins and outs of the radio. Others will probably chime in and answer as well.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 AM
SeamusG

Yup - the 5e is a one-model-only transmitter. To use it for multiple planes you must bind it to the new plane when you want to use the new plane. If you fly one model for "the day" then bind that model and fly it.

The bind plug needs a 3 wire connection to the Rx. Typically that's accomplished using an external charge port / battery switch that has 3-wires connected to the Rx. The 3-wire connection to the Rx allows you to insert the bind plug into the charge port to bind the Rx.

Do you have an open channel on your Rx? if so, you could use a 3-wire extension (3 in or 6 in) and plug the male connector into an open channel on the Rx and leave the female connector free in the fuse. That way, rather than having to remove the Rx to rebind, just insert the bind plug into the female end of the exposed extension.

If you don't have an available channel "MAYBE" you could use a 3-wire "Y" extension. Plug the male end into an existing used channel (throttle?). Plug the throttle servo wire into one end of the "Y". Leave the other end of the "Y"fee in the fuse. Then you "MIGHT' be able to insert the bind plug into the exposed leg of the "Y" to bind the Rx.

HTH
Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

To further answer your question. Spektrum has a difference GUID for each plane. That is why you have to re-bind with the DX5. Futaba uses the same GUID per radio. In their case one bind is all you need
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Oldrcbuilder

My 5e, like all the rest of the answers, is only a one model transmitter. If you are losing the connection to the last bind when you turn it off, you may need to send it in for testing. My transmitter did this and that is what the service center asked me to do. But I did not. A friend of mine loaned me his reciever and the transmitter bound to it fine. I then tried to bind back to my original reciever and it did. It remained bound to it. Too worried about it, I bought another transmitter.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 AM
JeffinTD

Yeah, I used a Dx5 briefly, until I bought another plane or two.

I decided to go Dx8 as it is pretty simple to program, I liked the range of bind and fly planes, and telemetry.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 AM
sylvie369

Do the other Spektrum transmitters (DX6i, DX7, DX8 etc.) only need to be bound once to each plane?That is, once they've been bound to a plane, if I used a different plane, and came back, I wouldn't have to re-bind?

Forgive my newbie-ness, but I've got a DX5, and I assumed that you ALWAYS had to re-bind when you switched from one plane to another, no matter which transmitter. If that's not true for the other ones, that might be the push it takes to get me to upgrade.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 AM
flyboy9994

I have the DX6i and I can store 10 differentplanes. You bind to each plane receiverseperately, store them in memory, give them a name and they are there forever or unless you delete them. When you want to switch planes, just select the appropriate plane from your list and go fly. No re-bind necessary.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM
JeffinTD

Yeah on the other Dx's a plane is basically bound to a memory position. The transmitter won't operate the plane if the wrong model is selected. It is what they call model
match.

Another major advantage to the computer radios is being able to adjust the dual rates to your liking and having expo.

The Dx5 I think has 75% and 100% on low and high rates with no expo.

75% may still be really twitchy for low rate on some 3-D or very aerobatic planes, especially without expo.

Expo is kind of like variable rate steering on a car, less sensitive near the center while still giving full travel at full input.

The Dx8 has 3 levels of dual rate, which can be set to 3 separate switches so you could have elevator on high rate and ailerons on low, for example. Or you can choose to have all three channels on one switch.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
penny1

Thanks,

That really helps. I didn't realize it was a one plane radio. So everytime you come go for one to the other you must rebind. OK. that will teach me to "bury" my reciever in the model.

I'll try the extension idea, so I don't have to keep pulling the wings off to rebind.( it's an e-flite, curtiss Jenny)

You guys are great!

penny1
Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM
JeffinTD

If finances allow, and you think you are going to stick with RC, it might be time for a Dx6, 7 or 8.

In addition to rebinding you also have to retrim, and may have to reverse channels.

If you are using Dsm2 receivers and money is tight, you might be able to find a good used unit for a good price.

If you have DSMX receivers, there probably aren't many DSMX transmitters on the used market, as they are fairly new.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: sylvie369

Do the other Spektrum transmitters (DX6i, DX7, DX8 etc.) only need to be bound once to each plane? That is, once they've been bound to a plane, if I used a different plane, and came back, I wouldn't have to re-bind?
Model Match ( already talked about ) is a VERY nice feature, that prevents you from taking off with your plane misconfigured, or your TX configured for a different model.

Imagine what can ( and will ) happen without it... you go to fly, the plane heads down the runway and lifts off, only to find that the ailerons are reversed... crash...

It is a good idea to go with the best TX you can afford.

A good transmitter will support many different planes and will last you a long time.

A cheaper TX may not last you as long, and you may be wishing for more channels or features, which will cost you in the long run.

Spending a bit more on a good TX, not only gives you an overall cost savings over time, but you'll be working with higher quality more feature rich equipment during the same period....

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
ATVAlliance

Cant live without my "model match".

Recently bought a FlySky 3ch radio to use with my Traxxas Tmaxx and gas Hydro boat.  Wasnt thinking and powered went to run the Tmaxx and had the radio selected for the Hydro boat and bout stripped the throttle servo out as I had that channel reveresed on the Tmaxx.

Anyway...Spektrum has its share of issues (reportedly, not my experience)...but MM is the cats meow, IMO!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM
GSS3272

Hi I am a newbie and can't get my DX6i to bind(connect) to my aeroflyPro Deluxe on my Mac OSX
Any suggestions?

THANKS GEORGE
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: GSS3272

Hi I am a newbie and can't get my DX6i to bind(connect) to my aeroflyPro Deluxe on my Mac OSX
Any suggestions?

THANKS GEORGE
The DX6i or any TX, do not "bind" to RC flight simulators.

Binding is the term used to describe the process where by a receiver is "married" to the transmitter.

-

BTW: Did you put the DX6i into PPM mode first?

Your best bet is to go over to the Aerofly forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
GSS3272

Thanks for the input I will try the forum
George
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
blacorebea

To use it for multiple planes you must bind it to the new plane when you want to use the new plane