Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Battery Setup for 24 Volts

I been searching the threads for a diagram on how to setup 2 batteries for 12/24 volts converision. Do anyone have the setup for this.

Thanks,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Battery Setup for 24 Volts

In series.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You take 2 12 volt batteries and make a jumper that goes from the negative from one battery to the positive of the other. That will leave you with a negative on one battery free and a positive on the other free. If you meter the two open connections you will find 24 volt's. Good Luck, Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do you need 24V for in RC?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Starter for the glow fieldbox for a 1.80 or larger. Other than that . . . dunnoh?

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots of the chargers for big lipos run on 24v as well.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wanted the 24v because the starter I have want turned over my gasoline engines. I figure the 24v will do the job. I have the sullivan dynatron 12-24 volts dc 100 amps max model 603 code dyn.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

90% of the folks I fly gas with hand prop. 

I like going to the airfield with a model, transmitter and a 2 gallon tank of gasoline with a manual crank fuel pump on it.  LIke H.D.Throeau said: "Our life is frittered away by detail . . . simplify, simplify"

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mrcoolpop

I wanted the 24v because the starter I have want turned over my gasoline engines. I figure the 24v will do the job. I have the sullivan dynatron 12-24 volts dc 100 amps max model 603 code dyn.
    Great starter, a few years ago we set up a box with two car batteries in series and it worked OK, weighed about 3 tons!!!!!!!!!! Today all you need to do is go to harbor freight and pick up one of the big drill batteries. I set mine up with an 18 volt and it cost me $15.00 with a fast charger. It rolls over the 30 DLE. If you ask John Buckner he may show you his new 24 volt set up. These packs just hook up to the bottom of the starter, clean and easy. Some of the guys I fly with just use the big hand drills with gear drives for the bigger gas engines or hand flip.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen a lot of posts on starters.........I also use one .Having my own field i use my lawn tractor battery for mine. But i do wonder why more guys don't use battery drills,they are cheap now and do have a lot of power.

BIGMIG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A lot of the guys at my field have the big cordless drills. Some are geared and some are just high voltage. Easy to set up with the spinner cone. When I have one of my bigger gas engines at the field and it doesn't want to hand start I have borrowed them more then once. Harbor Freight has the drills and the battery packs. 18 volts works pretty good with most starters up to 30cc. After that a few more volts is a big help or one of the geared drills.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gene.. did you make up a spinner cup and holder for that?

CGr
    Skylark 70 - OS .75 AX; Excelleron 90 - OS 1.20 AX; Venus II - OS 1.20 AX; And, I still fly my trainer, Hanger 9 Alpha - OS .46 FX! Some electrics. Airtronics RD8000 - Spektrum DX7 - DX6i. AMA 705964.
    Semper Paratus!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi mrcoolpop
    Some of us may have difficulty remembering how batteries are connected in parallel or in series to get the higher amperage or voltage. I'm old enough now to have some doubt doing it correctly. I do have a volt meter, and a common flashlight that has two batteries. In the average flashlight the batteries are 1.5 volts and are connected in the flashlight in series, which then has the voltage to the bulb at 3 volts. If I forget, I can use my volt meter to set me straight. Hope this helps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Gene.. did you make up a spinner cup and holder for that?

CGr
    Not me, I went with the 18 volt HF Battery on my old starter. One of my LHS had the big cones in stock and you just used a big bolt and nut to tighten it to the it fit into the chuck. Those big drills work great. I had rebuilt the carb on my 2.4 and my arm was ready to fall off from flipping the prop. I gave out a holler down the line and had three of the drills headed my way. A short burst of spin and my Brison was popping. I usually hand flip but use a starter on anything under 40cc. My starter is hit and miss with the DLE 30s, it usually works but sometimes one just has more compression then the others. If you need a big cone let me know and I will try to find one. My LHS has sold and I haven't been there yet and met the new owner.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great. I'v learned something new everytime I post..thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

But i do wonder why more guys don't use battery drills,they are cheap now and do have a lot of power.

The biggest issue with a pistol grip drill being used as a starter is the poor ergonomics for single handed starting. If you use helpers and always two hand the drill then its fine but used single handed as many do especially with smaller airplanes then they can become dangerous at worst and difficult to use at best.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

But i do wonder why more guys don't use battery drills,they are cheap now and do have a lot of power.

The biggest issue with a pistol grip drill being used as a starter is the poor ergonomics for single handed starting. If you use helpers and always two hand the drill then its fine but used single handed as many do especially with smaller airplanes then they can become dangerous at worst and difficult to use at best.

John
    There is that!! I knew someone was going to bring it up. Why don't you show us the new way cool JB 24 volt starter?? Maybe give us a show and tell on how you did it, where you got the battery and what not?? Sort of like the 18 volt you got us nim rods to start using.[8D]
    The thing about using the drill one handed also goes for the normal starters we use, two hands on the starter with big engines with a holder is a MUST!!!!!!! I tie my planes down and still have a holder. All it takes is a bit of slack and the engine can and will remove some of your favorite parts!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put a 14cell NIMH pack on my Hobbico starter and it has ALOT of torque, thoughts on bumping it up to 24v?
    Team Jesus Freak
    Yup you can love God AND airplanes... life is great
    Vet USAF B52 Crew Chief 00-04

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've taken it to 18v w/o any problems nor heat build up during use.

You are likely to do OK at the higher voltage, particularly since the motor is on for such short periods of time, and the windings are fairly thick.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aerofly0610

I put a 14cell NIMH pack on my Hobbico starter and it has ALOT of torque, thoughts on bumping it up to 24v?
    If I remember my High School Physics correctly, higher volts equals higher rpm. Assuming the windings can handle the higher volts and higher associated current. If the motor stops turning, beware....the voltage potential is converting 100% to heat. You just may weld something together....
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just use series connection.
    susan

you will when you believe!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mrcoolpop

I been searching the threads for a diagram on how to setup 2 batteries for 12/24 volts converision. Do anyone have the setup for this.

Thanks,
    I recently built a two battery setup with a switch from Radio Shack that allows switching between parallel and series to allow me to use my Dynatron starter with 24v when needed. Heres the wiring diagram and the switch is a DPDT (dual pole/dual throw).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40520.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	1762187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ie98435.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1762188  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks pretty good. The only concern for those that would think about something like this, is to make darned sure the switches are capable of handling the current that will flow through them. If it were me, I'd get something that was at least 50% more than what you figure you will need. For instance, if your current draw is at about 20 amps, I would definitely make sure the switch can easily handle 30 amps.

Just remember that series devices are "voltage" devices in that the "available" current remains the same but the voltage is a factor of the number of cells in series, where parallel devices are "current" devices in that the voltage remains the same no matter how many cells you have where the current available is a factor of the number of cells in parallel.

CGr.
    Skylark 70 - OS .75 AX; Excelleron 90 - OS 1.20 AX; Venus II - OS 1.20 AX; And, I still fly my trainer, Hanger 9 Alpha - OS .46 FX! Some electrics. Airtronics RD8000 - Spektrum DX7 - DX6i. AMA 705964.
    Semper Paratus!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks pretty good. The only concern for those that would think about something like this, is to make darned sure the switches are capable of handling the current that will flow through them. If it were me, I'd get something that was at least 50% more than what you figure you will need. For instance, if your current draw is at about 20 amps, I would definitely make sure the switch can easily handle 30 amps.

CGr.
    Agreed. The switch is rated 10A @ 125v, soI would think good to around 40A or more @ 24v. It's part # 275-1533 and found here on their website. It was a stocked item at my local store and only cost a few $.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just remember that series devices are ''voltage'' devices in that the ''available'' current remains the same but the voltage is a factor of the number of cells in series, where parallel devices are ''current'' devices in that the voltage remains the same no matter how many cells you have where the current available is a factor of the number of cells in parallel.

CGr.
    About 6 years ago my partner did a 24 volt two auto batteries like this fellow so his Dynatron starter would roll over his G-40 {38?} Didn't have the switch for 12 or 24 though, just series. With the money he spent on the starter and two batteries he could have just bought one of the good geared starters everyone was selling back then. Small and only 12 volts like any other starter. The problem with two batteries is lifting and carrying. Back then I could do it and my partner was younger and stronger. Thesd days we have the small drill batteries to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast