Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Alpha 40 trainer with a Saito 56?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hanger 9 Alpha 40 trainer with a Saito 56?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Alpha 40 trainer with a Saito 56?

I need to pick up an ARF and would prefer a trainer. I have a Saito 56 laying around and was wondering if anybody has mounted this engine on this plane. I was considering ordering another LT 40 which I know would work, but the difference in price has me looking pretty hard at this plane.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW, I'm not a total beginner, I can build, fly and tune 4 stroked planes like 4 star's. I just want another trainer/beater to take out, or, let's look at another option. I just received a Big Stik 40 yesterday. But one of the front mounting wing tabs was broken during shipment. Sure I can ship it back and get another wing half, but the way I see it and have read here, thats a weak design and normally needs beefing up anyway! So mods would be in order anyway.

However, I haven't flown in a couple of years and the Stik is sorta scaring me and I'm afraid I might be a little too tight flying it the first few times.

My gut tells me to order the LT 40, get comfortable again and take my time assembling the Stik.

Whatcha yall think?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 Alpha 40 trainer with a Saito 56?

I have that setup, it works great. Seems like you can do touch n goes for 30 min. at a time with the setup. Obviously, it isn't fast, but flies quite well. The 4 stroke really gives it the pull when you need to pull it up, but the nice thing is, it will fly slowly under power, and give real beginners a chance to see what they are doing at the controls. It makes for great 1 wheel touchdowns, and see how long you can just keep that wheel on the ground. Mine is a very reliable runner, and I use a low pitch prop on it. I want to say a 12x4? I am waiting for my runway to get dry enough again to cut. My old Alpha is 12 yrs old. I have recovered it once, and last thing I did to it was to put a 2nd servo in the wing, as the torque rod bearing was shot finally. I just did that last year.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LT 40 would make a great plane to get back in the saddle with and Saito 56 is a good combination. The neat thing here is you will have a plane that you can just go out and have fun with in a relaxed way. The stick would be OK if you want to tear up the world ( I know , it can fly slow ) but the LT would be more relaxing to start.

I still fly a trainer a lot and I've been doing it for years, just like having a trainer to relax with. By the way one of mine has a 56 on it, nice engine. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
jetmech05

I love the LT-40 myself...but there is nothing wrong with an Alpha...you'll have a good combo with that set up
Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: bingo field

I have that setup, it works great. Seems like you can do touch n goes for 30 min. at a time with the setup. Obviously, it isn't fast, but flies quite well. The 4 stroke really gives it the pull when you need to pull it up, but the nice thing is, it will fly slowly under power, and give real beginners a chance to see what they are doing at the controls. It makes for great 1 wheel touchdowns, and see how long you can just keep that wheel on the ground. Mine is a very reliable runner, and I use a low pitch prop on it. I want to say a 12x4? I am waiting for my runway to get dry enough again to cut. My old Alpha is 12 yrs old. I have recovered it once, and last thing I did to it was to put a 2nd servo in the wing, as the torque rod bearing was shot finally. I just did that last year.
Thanks

I have a bunch of 12x6 MAS's and you may have a good point. Originally I propped this engine for a LT-40 I was building and I may need to pitch it down.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
GaryHarris

Thanks guys. Ill check in tomorrow. At this point, I may go with the Alpha since I never did one and done the LT-40 a few times..
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've flown both. The LT-40 was made more sturdy compared to the 40 Alpha.

A Saito 56 would be a lot of fun on either.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd say fly the stick. If it's set up for slow, docile flying, it is every bit as slow and forgiving as your trainer was. It's also much better at handling the wind and easier to land. Every single new pilot that I know of, myself included, who went from a trainer to a stick has said that the stick was easier to fly and gave them more confidence in the air. The single negative that I can say about sticks for fairly new pilots is that they don't self-correct much. But if you can fly circuits without getting upside down in your trainer you'll be fine with it.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I'd say fly the stick. If it's set up for slow, docile flying, it is every bit as slow and forgiving as your trainer was. It's also much better at handling the wind and easier to land. Every single new pilot that I know of, myself included, who went from a trainer to a stick has said that the stick was easier to fly and gave them more confidence in the air. The single negative that I can say about sticks for fairly new pilots is that they don't self-correct much. But if you can fly circuits without getting upside down in your trainer you'll be fine with it.
I'm putting it together now and plan on flying it soon. I have to come up with a creative way to fix the broken wing tab, but for now I'm thinking I should go back to a trainer to get back in my "Comfort" zone. I can fly the pants off the Stik on the sim, but you know how that equals flying at the field. So I ordered the Alpha this morning and Ill be putting another 4*60 on the bench soon.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've instructed on an Alpha 40 with a Magnum .61 4c and it had more than enough power, so a Saito .56 will be ample power. All the Alpha's I've had or worked with have been nose heavy with a 2c, so a 4c will require shifting weight back to get it to balance. It also flies a lot better with the CG towards the aft limit.

I also have an LT-40 ARF kit waiting its turn on the assembly bench. It'll be powered with a Magnum .52 RFS, which is very good, dependable engine. The last LT-40 I assembled had a Magnum .46 XLS and required several ounces of lead in the nose to balance leading me to think the LT-40 will be great with a heavier 4c up front.

Either plane will be excellent. I do know that an Alpha 40 can be set up to be very aerobatic and will do most (but not all) the maneuvers a Stick will do.

Hogflyer