Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Escapade or stinger 2

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Escapade or stinger 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
benboy17
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escapade or stinger 2

Wanna buy a new plane and it's between the escapade and the stinger 2 and I just can't decide. Which one should I get?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Escapade or stinger 2

That is a very interesting choice to make, benboy17. They're both a great choice for a .40-size sport plane. I see a lot of Escapades out at the flying field, but not very many Stingers. I might opt for the Stinger myself, if only to have the less common of the two.

I honestly can't imagine you'd be unhappy with either choice. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggest that you do a search for both airplanes here on RCU.  You will probably get a lot of comments about both planes.  Review what other owners have said about each airplane and then you can make an informed decision.  My son had an Escapade, it few well; however, elevator flutter was a big problem and the canopy had to be modified to get it to stay on - all those issues are addressed in other posts on this site.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
benboy17

Yeah i did that lone star and Im still torn between the two. You know like a woman just can't make up my mind!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look things over with both planes, for instance, look at the wing arrangement. The Stinger is a mid-fuselage wing mount where the Escapade is a low-wing mount, mounting to the bottom of the fuselage. That makes for a difference in handing and control.

Look over the wing span and wing loading. The Escapade has a 24 - 26 oz/sq foot where the Stinger is 20 - 22 oz/sq foot.

All this sort of stuff makes a difference on how it will perform, stall tendencies, and so on.

If none of this makes a difference to you, then what ever looks good to you is the one to get. Hey, get them both!!! Do your own compare and review!!!! [X(] Now there's a plan!!

CGr
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
benboy17

Sounds like a plan CG!!! Can you convince my wife of that!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 AM
CGRetired

Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM
VetteV12

I had an Escapade and it flew very well untill the gear let go and it did it's final and last no gear belly landing. The gear and canopy are my only complaints about it. The gear broke loose often, however I land on some rough blacktop. For the canopy I ghetto rigged it with rubber bands to get it to stay on. With the higher wing loading I also had to land with some speed or it would drop a wing.

Just bought a Stinger II a couple weeks ago (replacing the Escapade) and I'm almost done putting it together but so far it's been very easy to assemble. I'm using HiTec 485HB servos and a rebuilt Evolution .46 with a pitts muffler. I should have it in the air next weekend and I'll let you know how it performs. But from how it looks and the wing loading, I think it will a very nice flyer.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
oldtyme

I have had two Escapades. The first one I lost due to a dumb assembly thing I did........but I flew it 8 months before then. I now have my second Escapade and love it. I took the gear off once but have since re-inforced the mounting block and that seems to have solved the problem. Many people have the same problem with the U-Can-Do. As far as the canopy, I don't know what the problem is unless people don't read the instructions and put a small amount of foam in the front between the dowels. Evidently, Great Planes became aware of the problem and included a fix in the assembly instructions. Great plane! I sell a lot of them for Great Planes out at our field. Just yesterday after a flight, a guy commented that he was going home to buy one.............
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 AM
landeck

I have had an Escapade for the last four years. I have never had the gear come off or any problems with the canopy. It is a great flying plane with a Magnum .46 XLS engine.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
VetteV12

Just got back from flying the new Stinger II. All I can say is WOW! This thing freakin moves! I have an 11x6 on it and it's fast. The engine doesn't have enuf power to do vertical very well but it still powers it nicely. The ending weight ended up being 5.46lbs. I set my CG alittle nose heavy because I didn't want to add any more weight to it. But the CG line only moved 1/16" from factory recommended. It flies great and will do anything an acro is made to do. Snap rolls are incredible, knife edges are beautiful, ect... I think alittle more power would give it that sweet spot, like a 12x6 spinning at the same RPM I am now.

Hope this helps you make a decision.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
benboy17

Thanks Vette
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what you have flown, what your experience is. I have the Stinger 2 and it is hot, but I do have a YS63 on it. I have seen several Escapades at my field. My personal estimation is that the Escapade is less a handful than the Stinger 2. If you have flown some low wing already, then the Stinger 2 will be lots of fun and good step up. If you are just embarking on low wing, then the Escapade might be a better step. Just my 2 cents! Good luck on your selection! Jon
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 AM
vidasj

I have had several Escapade 40's, and one Escapade 60.  They are easy to fly, but the 40 size lands somewhat hot.  For around $100/ARF you can't go wrong, just be sure you're confident flying a trainer first.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM
-rwebb-

Just maidened my Stinger II last weekend. My second plane and my trainer was an Avistar. Love it. Have a saito 72 in it. Couldn't be happier.