Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spectrum receivers

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spectrum receivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectrum receivers

There is a bit of information missing - these are not NIB - they have been bought at auction, estate sale, swap meets, etc. Why do I say this?  They have a disclaimer that they have no idea what condition they are in. The picture is of a NIB item of that type. Guessing that these have the firmware that is subject to "many second" brown outs.

IMO you get what you pay for.

You could always send it to Horizon service and have them upgrade the firmware. It's up to you whether you say you are the original purchaser or that it was bought used with a disclaimer.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: goirish

Sorry for the bad picture, but here it is. If it is a knockoff they did a dang good job.
If it's a knockoff there are all sorts of violations involved.

It's too blatent. I'll bet it's the real thing... if so how so cheap????

Where was it shipped from?

I think it was shipped from Calif. not sure, for three of them the cost of shipping was 7.00. It seemed like it took about a week to get them. I have them on several planes, from elect. to gas. Several of our club members have purchased them also and no one has complained about any problems. I am using a DX7 and other members are using DX8
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Iherling

Iam posting for a buddy. He just bought a spectrum DX6i radio. I am told that you can get receivers called "orange receivers" that are compatible with this radio. They are quite inexpensive. When researching I find them on Hobby King and ebay. Thay say they are compatible with and Spectrum that is DSMX or DSM2. Does anyone know if these will work with the above mentioned radio?
The listed receiver is AR6210 for that radio
thanks

DSM2 is old tecknolegy uses only 2 chnnels and does not hopp. U are taking a chanche with the regular spectrum receivers much less with a $9 receiver ... What is your plane worth ... Remember U get what U pay for if your know what U are buying. Cheep Junk is Just that. and it will cost U in the long run. besices any receiver that needs multiple nodes to be reliable to operate can't be much of a receiver.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

I agree about DSM2.
Honestly if you can fit a FrSky Module in your controller... I don't see why you wouldnt... Great price and great reliability with lots of Receivers to choose from.
http://rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml

it spreads over 50 different frequencies with super fast/near instant reboot times.... It hasn't failed me yet, I love mine plus i can use telemetry if i wish!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 PM
SeamusG

Like any after market product it's only as good as the information provided by the original manufacturer as to the architecture & technical approach used in a product.

Is DSM / DSM2 / DSMX proprietary? Is the technology protected by patents? Is there a published Rx interface that will allow any manufacturer to create and sell their own variant that is fully compatible with all of Spektrum's Tx? Did Spektrum teach others everything that others know about DSSS but not everything that Spektrum knows?

Just wondering ...

Bottom line - risk reward.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
sylvie369

At least a few of their product descriptions include this:

"***we are not able to tell this is a real spektrum rx, or not. But we are responsible for the quality, and guaranty each rx to be in good working situation, any defects can be return or refund***"

Uh, okay.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

Like any after market product it's only as good as the information provided by the original manufacturer as to the architecture & technical approach used in a product.

Is DSM / DSM2 / DSMX proprietary? Is the technology protected by patents? Is there a published Rx interface that will allow any manufacturer to create and sell their own variant that is fully compatible with all of Spektrum's Tx? Did Spektrum teach others everything that others know about DSSS but not everything that Spektrum knows?

Just wondering ...

Bottom line - risk reward.

Too bad it took 3 revisions of there PRORTECTED TECHNOLOGY to get it right and that's UP FOR DEBATE ... Besides there is a lot to say for the ease of programing, and that comes from the transmitter and what goofy button pushing combo some ding bat thinks up. Just for $hi*s and giggles try a Touch Screen HiTEC Aroura 9 Xmitter ... No Wheels Buttons or anything to push, hold or flip. just touch the screen with your finger tip and it responds with logical menus. The Aroura 9 also holds 30 models with 8 "Conditions" for each. This means U can set up each model 8 different ways, and it hopps, with any Receiver and has built in battery Telemetry on all.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM
grimbeaver

I've had no problems with OrangeRx. They are a great value, especially if you are building cheap scratch built foamies. I also have one in a 40 size nitro trainer with a satellite. I've seen plenty of people have issues with DX6i transmitters and Spektrum rx so for all of you who have had problems what do you have for a TX? Maybe the issue isn't the RX?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
SeamusG

Unlimited funds allow for some serious stone throwing. Geeezzzzz.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 PM
radius1x1

The orange will probably work better than me: my job went to China!!!!!
Keep sending your dollars to China, the country you save won't be yours!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

There is a bit of information missing - these are not NIB - they have been bought at auction, estate sale, swap meets, etc. Why do I say this? They have a disclaimer that they have no idea what condition they are in.
You are very likely correct.

Spektrum doesn't sell them that cheap in bulk to dealers. Something is amiss.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

besices any receiver that needs multiple nodes to be reliable to operate can't be much of a receiver.
Sounds like speculation to me.

All our Jet guys swear by the Spektrum/JRs and will never risk their $5K to $25K planes to anything else.

They love the multiple nodes and the multipath protection it provides... plus it allows for multiple antenna orientations.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: radius1x1

Keep sending your dollars to China, the country you save won't be yours!

You're implying that somehow the other manufacturer's RX's are made in the U.S.

I wish they really were, they'd get my dollars first and I'm willing to pay more for that!

Sadly that is not the case, most RX's and TX's ( even the German products like Multiplex ) are made in Asia.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
radius1x1

Does the sale of orange rx's have ANY added value to our economy at all, or does it go straight to China? Follow the money!!!
At least when you buy a Spektrum product, we as a country get a few crumbs and jobs!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
DenverJayhawk

i have an orange 6 channel without the satellite that i use on a DW Foamie with a DX8 transmitter. It works fine.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
opjose

Does the sale of orange rx's have ANY added value to our economy at all, or does it go straight to China? Follow the money!!!
At least when you buy a Spektrum product, we as a country get a few crumbs and jobs!!!!
Well yes it does.

For one, I can afford to equip more planes with Orange RX's than I can with Spektrums, so I utilize more glow fuel sold, package, transported and manufactured here.

Given my last purchase of 16 gallons, that's more U.S. "crumbs" than what stays here with the Spektrum purchases.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 AM
HoundDog

Well yes it does.

For one, I can afford to equip more planes with Orange RX's than I can with Spektrums, so I utilize more glow fuel sold, package, transported and manufactured here.

Given my last purchase of 16 gallons, that's more U.S. "crumbs" than what stays here with the Spektrum purchases.

It's a world Economey ... It was OK when the USofA was on top of the World ... Now it looks like it's someone eleses turn ... Get used to it... Our Governer Walker here in Wisconsin thinks everyone should work for Slave Wages, and people don't have the right to colectively bargin. What makes a politicin worth more than soee one that produceses something or teaches your childern.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Well yes it does.

Given my last purchase of 16 gallons, that's more U.S. ''crumbs'' than what stays here with the Spektrum purchases.

Good angle. This has been the case for me too. It has allowed me to take and buy more planes from others and equip them and also additional glow fuel. Just the savings in servos alone has been huge for me.

I have spent more with Tower Hobbies this year as well. By buying another plane I needed another DLE engine so TH got the purchase. If I had of invested in high dollar servos from US, the extra plane would not have come to fruition. It all works out
Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 AM
goirish

Just a question, Are you all saying that the RX from Target hobby are knock offs. They sure look like the real McCoy.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

I currently use/own 4 of the Orange 6ch and 1 Orange 9ch. No problems to-date 'knock on wood", although a friend of mine is usingaorangeand had issues with control. He isn't sure if it's the rx or not, but it is a possibilty he is using the 6ch.

All the planes Iam using the Oranges in are not pricy at all. 2 of them are 50mm edfs Iput together. At $22 each for an airframe Iam perfectly content with using a orange in them. Not gonna put a rx worth more then my plane in those cheap jets. The otherones are in a 800mm T28 and a Flyzone Corvalis in which I use the satellite extension because I fly that plane rather high. Ihave used the 6ch with a dx6i as well as a dx8, my 9ch Iuse with a dx8 and am using every channel of the rx. Once again all non-expensive planes. I am a HUGE Spektrum fan boy, but everything (even the spektrum rxs) can have issues. Anyone remember the Spektrum ar500 issues, I sure do. Those rx's where the cause of NUMEROUS crashs. Ibelieve it was later found that the china manufactor was using "unapproved" parts which lead to the issue, but the reputation of that rx has been burned because of it. Ido believe they have sorted that all out, but the damage has been done. Ihave a ar500, but once again Iuse it in a plane I'm not attached to and although I wouldn't want to see it crash, it's not an expensive plane. I over-heard that the reason the AR600 is priced the same as the AR500 even though it has an extra channel is to "Phase" out the AR500s becasue to much damage to the reputation has been done. Like I said just over-heard that.

So in short if it's an expensive plane don't get cheap on the RX. Get a quality product in your pricey builds, after all that is the sole componet that's going to keep you in control. There are guys at my field with some rather large and expensive pattern planes and when Ilook under their canopy and see a Orange I just shake my head. I wouldn't trust a rx that's less then a trip to McDonalds in a rc plane that cost more then some real cars.... That's just me!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

We had a couple show up in trainers this spring and all them suffered major brown outs. Planes were grounded until RX was replaced. Total junk and unsafe.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Personally, I think there's a reason they are made orange.

In aviation, they call the FDR and CVR a "black box" but in reality they are painted orange so they are easier to see and find in the event of a crash. Coincidence? Hummmm.........
I haven't tried the Orange Spektrum Receivers, but the Orange Futaba compatible are just as good as the originals for a fraction of the cost.. I use them on 450 size helicopters and some have over 400 flights with zero problems... I have range tested them side by side the original and they are identical.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM
ATVAlliance

I have a couple of the cheap AR6200's I bought from oomodel.  They look IDENTICAL to the "real deal".  Even down to the stickers on the back of them and their SAT recievers.

I cant say with certainty that they are clones...but assume so because of the following...

1.  They dont have the updated firmware.  Meaning when you manually test a "brown out" condition...the LED doesnt flash...just links back up and stays solid amber/orange.
2.  WHY would Spektrum dump a large amount of these RX to a distributor/s to be sold to the public that have the older, unreliable firmware and at such a cost that they can undersell them by 1/3 to 1/2 the price and still make it a profitable venture (for the distributor/seller)?

I recently discussed this with a couple of club members that also bought some of these RX units from oomodel.  They never thought about my 2 above points and swayed to the side of agreeing with me on it.

I think that my stance on these are that they are just better copied clones.  Not so much as the internal electronics...but the casing that they come in, thus the little higher price.  Although I would love to be proved wrong here as I would buy even more of these if they are the "real deal".

I havent had a bit of trouble out of any of my "cheaper" Spektrum RX's though (orange or otherwise) but I always do have it in the back of my mind when I am flying a model that is outfitted with one of these.  So someone proving me wrong may remove that bit of doubt that is always there when flying these RX.

Just my .02's

Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 AM
grimbeaver

ORIGINAL: goirish

Just a question, Are you all saying that the RX from Target hobby are knock offs. They sure look like the real McCoy.
Read the bottom of the product page, of course it's a knock off:
http://www.targethobby.com/in-stock-...p-4161958.html
***we are not able to tell this is a real spektrum rx, or not. But we are responsible for the quality, and guaranty each rx to be in good working situation, any defects can be return or refund***
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 AM
grimbeaver

The postal carrier who delivers it gets a few crumbs of the postage to get it here. The product itself may not help our economy but the logistics do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.