Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

LT40 Finally Flies!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

LT40 Finally Flies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 01:33 PM
LT40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT40 Finally Flies!

Well,
Labor day dawned bright and blue with low temps and little wind. I live in a small rural town, and have but one instructor. He called up and said, "lets go". Loaded the plane. We did a full tech inspection. Gasses they plane and he took her up. Checked it all out and the only 'problem' was with power applied she wanted to climb. Ease of the power and she was fine. He wrung her out good, and pronounced her airworthy. Second tank and up she went. This time, I got stick time. Reality-check. This is more difficult than it looks. LOL. Well, needless to say after that I was shaking a bit. Third tank and after he took it off, I flew most of the tank. Getting a bit better in maintaining altitude when turning, etc. He landed it and we called it a day. Boy am I jazzed. It flew well, I got stick time. And it went home in the same number of pieces.

I'm hooked!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Mindwarp-RCU-delete

Checked it all out and the only 'problem' was with power applied she wanted to climb.
That's exactly what happened the first time my LT-40 went up too! Ended up having to adjust the elevator control linkage to set in some permanent 'down.'

I've been flying the LT-40 for a grand total of two months now and I have to say that I love it. It's been such an easy and gentle trainer to me that I'm now starting to get more confident with it and am flying it around the pattern inverted - it's wonderfully docile and very predictable.

Have fun with yours, and congratulations on the first flight! If you think THAT was fun, just wait until you solo!

Neil.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:45 AM
iowanspctr

The LT-40 is a great trainer; so is the LT-25, by the way. They both tend to climb under power, it's part of the characteristics of a flat bottom wing. You can reduce the wing incidence, but it's not that big a deal once you're used to it. They both land great if you bring it in slow enough. I almost prefer the LT-25 for its light weight and easy transportability, also an easily built kit.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Live Wire

They have the mistakes built in.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:58 AM
ZimboRaider

What engine did you use? I am thinking of getting a LT-40 ARF
Old 09-06-2003, 02:06 AM
Mindwarp-RCU-delete

I have the O.S. .46LA on mine, but if you're going to get an O.S. engine I'd recommend the .46FX instead. The LA develops enough power to fly the plane, but there's none to spare above and beyond that.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Magnum XLS-46 on mine and it has done great. The OS engines are lighter and some guys have had to add weight to the nose.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the OS.

I've been flying my LT-40 for three months and the time has come to get serious on#2 (a Sig 4 Star 60).
Old 09-06-2003, 02:37 AM
Mindwarp-RCU-delete

Originally posted by Dave Genet
I have a Magnum XLS-46 on mine and it has done great. The OS engines are lighter and some guys have had to add weight to the nose.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the OS.

I've been flying my LT-40 for three months and the time has come to get serious on#2 (a Sig 4 Star 60).
Yup, I can attest to having to add weight to the nose when you use a .46LA on an LT-40. Had to add 4.5oz in the cheeks, and a weighted spinner nut on the front!

Flying great though, despite the needed weight up front
Old 09-06-2003, 12:18 PM
rjbarthel-RCU

Default love the LT 40

hey I learned on a sig lt40 also super easy trainer !! I had a OS 40FX to start with on it but used the 40fx on another planne later on ! now the LT is being used again to teach my daughter to fly and I have a TT 46 pro on it and its lots better . I really like the setup now running a APC 11X4 prop. off the ground faster and lotsa power to pull out of not so good of approches!!
Thumbs up to ya on your flying !! :thumbup: