Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

which way is better

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

which way is better

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
morgan175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which way is better

designing a way to store my planes. I am wondering is it better to hang a plane from their tale or horizontal. If you could show me pics to steal your ideas it would be great. thanks a head of time. mostly 40 size planes.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: which way is better

I store all mine horizontal.  Not sure is it has any benefit.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for horizontal (I hate to see any of my planes pointed "straight down" for any length of time, even if it's just in storage!)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think it matters a bit how you hang them as long as the tanks are empty (completely!) when you put them away. I hang mine by the tail just because all it required was to put a screw in the stud and make a simple sling from PVC and string.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 AM
mike109

G'day

I store most of mine horizontally. I got some 3 x 2 pine, fixed two vertical strips to the wall about 3 feet apart, and then got some 3/4 inch dowel and drilled 3/4 inch holes in the pine and pushed pieces of dowel into the holes. The holes don't go all the way through. I don't bother to glue the dowel in, they are just pushed in. The dowels for the fuselages are about 1 foot apart vertically. Then I made a similar rack but with the dowels much closer to store wings on. It was cheap, simple and can be easily pulled apart if I need to move it.

Mike in Oz
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The one reason I have heard for a preference is the engine (specifically the bearings). If you leave a model long term unused one way was preferable . . . but I don't recall which. I try to fly even my least used models at least two outings annually and horizontal has worked for me.

Iwill say the best way for youis likely the method with the lesser chance of stepping on, falling against or dropping something on the model. Ihang the wings in cradles up in or near the rafters - just to prevent collateraldamage.

Two14" lengths of 2 x 4 with a 1" hole at the lower end, screwed intro afloor joist,and 32" of PVC (with foam covering)passed through and sticking out equallyeach sidehorizontally holds two large wings.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Can't post any pics right now, but I hang my electrics vertically between 4 pieces of 1" PVC hung from the ceiling and spaced about 6" apart. I store my nitro planes horizontally in a home made rack that is secured to the wall. Wings in one rack, fuselages in another. Even with an empty tank, if you store a nitro plane vertically, you are going to drip some fuel/oil on the floor.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Admiral052

I built mine using the rubbermaid track system. This allows me to adjust the holders as I add to my hanger. Heres how I did it. I got the main track hung that up, then bought the shelf hanger and shelf angles. Took pipe insulations and put it on top of the shelf irons. Then set my fuselage on them. For my wings I did the same. This is all over my workbench on the wall so the planes are out of the way till I need them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17582.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1771122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17582.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1771123  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

When are you going to get that drywall sanded and finished?