Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Another newbie with a Staggerwing!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Another newbie with a Staggerwing!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM
BKuch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie with a Staggerwing!

Greetings Folks:

Here is another question from a newbie. This past weekend I bought an E-Flite Staggerwing ARF kit. (Not to worry . . . I have no intent to fly it for many many months until after I build up a g-zillion hours on a new ParkZone J-3 that I've got coming in a day or two, and likely a step-up model somewhere between the J-3 and the Staggerwing).

In fact I'm in the process of researching all of the bits and pieces that I've yet to buy for the Staggerwing (motor, receiver, servos, ect., etc.). I intend to add the retractable gear option, but I'm not completely taken on pneumatic system that E-Flite offers for the kit. I've been looking around for other options and that leads me to a couple of questions that I've not been able to find the answers to myself:

1. Does anyone know if the new E-Flite 10-15 size electric retracts will adapt to the Staggerwing? I've asked the good folks at Horizon Hobbies, but haven't got an answer yet.

2. I've also emailed back and forth with a chap fromSonicElectric who suggested that I might be able to use their non-rotating ERS LanderMain Retract Set. Does anyone know of this landing gear being successfully installed in the E-Flite Staggerwing?

I will be most grateful of any guidance that anyone might offer.

Cheers.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Another newbie with a Staggerwing!

I'd get a true "purpose built" trainer and use it to learn on before you try to fly the Cub. If this is the same Cub as a friend has, it's not a good plane for beginners as it can't handle wind and, IIRC, is only a three channel meaning no ailerons
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
BKuch

Yup . . . I got that one figured as well. The J-3 was something of a gift and it will be nice just to stroll across the street into a little park and see if I can keep the blue side up. I plan of getting into a proper 4-channel trainer as I get to learn a bit more about better choices. Truth be told . . . I'm a wee bit disabled right now so my liking an outing as a 'stroll' across the street really is a 'roll' across the street in my wheelchair. I won't be driving for a while yet, so my early choices are limited to what I can accomplish in our neighborhood parks. Next year . . . Then it gets more serious in terms of hardware and flying sites. My wife is driving me out to a nearby RC club meet this coming Sunday and I hope to start making all the right connections.

But your advice is well meant and well taken. Thanks for that.

Cheers,
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 AM
jetmech05

Don't go alone.....Props cut...and cut hard. There are 2 kinds of fliers those that have been cut and those that will be.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 AM
BKuch

Hey! Now there's something that I hadn't thought through.There's two aspects to the suggestion as I see it: me getting cut, or someone else getting cut! Actuall I had thought about the second part and bought a membership in MAAC (the Canadian umbrella organization) for many reasons, not the least of which is access to their liability insurance program.

But to be sure I did not think about the damn thing on me! So you're right chum. I'll have to plan on some sort of buddy system. Fortunately my good wife has been extremely supportive and even encouraging me to get involved (a sure sign, I suspect, that I'm getting to be a pain in the butt sitting around the condo reading all day long.). I think that I can look to her to provide that extra support as well. I'm lucky, so far she refers to 'we' and 'us' whenever she talks about going out flying.

But still, it's good to think about these things pnevertheless, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

My Regards,
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would coach and caution that retracts are a bad idea for a first or second plane. It takes educated thumbs to land any plane gently and smoothly, and retracts do not shrug off a hard landing . . . or the occasional side spin ground loop that comes after. Less a problem on a less-than-two-pound electric but still there. Not to mention the added complication and one more thing to remember to do while in the air. Looking down at the radio to locate the switch - very instinctive - can cost a model.

Get a non-scale trainer. They are designed to teach you how to fly. Even better is having an instructor teach you how to set-up a model and then how to fly it.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 AM
BKuch

Yes, I agree. But understand, that flying this thing is a long way off for me. I'm just into thinking about a few equipment issues right now.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Don't go alone.....Props cut...and cut hard. There are 2 kinds of fliers those that have been cut and those that will be.
Oh yes, I can verify that. A prop took off my index finger off at the first joint about a month ago.[:@] I was at home...alone...tuning an engine. Luckily, I didn't pass out cold.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Ya'll Bkuch welcome to the forum and more importantly the passion. I too am a fellow wheelchair driver (lets see for bout the last ten years now) but certainly do not let that slow me down I do fly just about every day and do an awful lot of training also even controlline in addition to various RC venues.

Everything the fellows have indicated to you is quite accurate and some have softened it a bit. Even you seemed to sense that. Fact is despite all good intentions you are gonna need a good four channel trainer and a fair bit of mentoring before you ever touch that little ol staggerwing. Almost invaribly what happens is the fellows will attemp the inapproprate airplane far to soon and that beautiful, sexy littly airplane ends up in the bin.

Dude you need to forget that airplane and forget the landing gear (by the way changing over to electric from air is kinda pointless) for now get on out to that field and avoid the biggest mistake almost everyone makes. That mistake is avoiding hands on help and mentorship and not permitting your new found friends imput the kind of equipment you buy and attempt to work with.

These people are gonna be the key to your success this should be the very first step, always.

Also you find most clubs will go the extra mile to help with the handicap if you let them. Our club just got through with major additions including ADA toilets and a concrete easy access all the way down to a large handicap flight station.

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZM8...endscreen&NR=1

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86536.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1771551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89683.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1771552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41177.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1771553  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is our wheelchair access now and there is a concrete pad above for two trucks to rear load or side load and assembly tables.

There is more and more awareness among our fellow modelers now than there has been in the past. My second club, The Havasu Sport Flyers is a float flying only club with a permanent water site and they now have a wheelchair access flying station that was put in as such.

So you are in good company and welcome aboard!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82855.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1771584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87207.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1771585  
Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, Great post to show BKuch what can be done in this hobby. Maybe he will have a special bond and heed your advice on how to start off the right way. Seems like way to many young newbees have thier ego hurt by the term "trainer plane". How often do we hear "Can I learn on this (fill in the blank,......P-51, P-47, staggerwing, extra 300, B-52, etc)? BTY, looks like you belong to a great club out there in Az.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
BKuch

Wow John. What an excellent facility! Good for you and congratulations to all of your club members for being so very much aware of the needs for others. Nitndoesnt take too long in a wheelchair to realize how poor some of our urban infrastructure is and how hard iris for the handicapped to get around. You guys blow me away with your awareness. It interesting that you mentioned the float aircraft club. Actually I live in beautiful downtown Vancouver near StanleyPark with miles of sea walks and accessible waterfront just yards away from my front door. Believe me when I say, PBYs, Grumman Gooses (Geese??) and Canadair CL-415 Water Bombers occupy a large part of my RC dreamworld.

And, 52larry52, I ought to tell you a bit about myself. In the mid 60s I started out as a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force. I had a private license before I joined up and started off on CT-114 Tutors, then the ubiquitous T-33, then on to the F-86 (we called it the Sabre 5 and 6) to convert to the CF-104 Starfighter. I do know a little about moving up slowly through the ranks of demanding aircraft. I bought the Staggerwing, because I love the bird. As a kid I bummed a ride from Lethbridge, Alberta to Winnipeg, Manitoba in a Beech Staggerwing that was passing through. The pilot was fairying it back east someplace and he was kind enough to let me take the left seat and handle the chores en route, including one takeoff and one landing. Ever since then the ole Staggerwing has been very high on my list of most admired aircraft, so when I saw the E-Flite kit I grabbed it. That, and the fact that everything I read seems toindicate that supplies of these kits are drying up some. My plan is to tuck it away, buy the electrics bit by bit and eventually put it all together some time in the distant future. I'm not the sort of person who is anxious to crash airplanes, no matter if they are full scale or models. (I did that in the big stuff, and it wasn't fun!)

Anyway it's really grand to hear from you guys. I expect to learn a lot in the process. Please keep my questions about the retracts in mind. It would help my plans a great deal.

Cheers, for now, Bob
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
BKuch

(I appologise if I'm going on too long here . . . I just like yakking with new friends . . )
John, I wanted to say how cool the YouTube video was of you flying U-control. That is just soooo excellent and very inspiring.
I'm lucky, I suppose; if all works out well, my wheelchair days should be up in a couple months. I have had a prosthetic knee for over 15 years and it worked very well (walking the golf course at least once a week, etc.). But last September I needed a minor revision done to the joint and wouldn't you know it, I got an infection from the surgery, which, as it turned out, is bad news for artificial joints. Anyhow I ended up in the hospital for a month and a half and have been on a course of heavy antibiotics ever since. They had to completely remove my artificial joint and just got me sort of patched together until the infection is cleared up.
Anyway, the point of all of this yammering is to explain the importance of my new-found interest in RC. You see I got to start feeling pretty sorry for myself and becoming a big pain in the butt and then the RC world landed in my lap (via my trusty iPad). Ever since then I haven't spent much more than a moment or two contemplating my health woes . . . It's all RC now! (although I suspect that I still might be a bit of a pain in the butt . . .).
Again, cheers,
Bob
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BKuch,

I agree with the other posts regarding starting with a true trainer. They are easier to fly and will help you greatly on the road to SAFELY flying solo!

As far as the Staggerwing goes, I have one with the E-flite micro pneumatic retracts. The micro pneumatics are a really nice set up! They work very well and are more than strong enough for the Staggerwing. Installing them was easy, except for a minor mistake in the instructions...

I reviewed the Staggerwing for RCU, and the review should be going live in the next few weeks - keep a look-out in the review section for it!

Just my humble opinion though - take it for what it's worth!

G.Barber
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
BKuch

I most certain will watch for your review . . . That's exactly the sort of info that I need to pack into the ole brain. And for sure I value your opinion on the retracts, I had been reading a lot of luke warm opinions about them and your views certainly buoy me up. It certainly will be the easiest path to take.

Much appreciated . .
Bob

Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KBuch, Let me apologize for miscategorizing you. I incorrectly thought 1) you were a youngster, and 2)you didn't know much about aircraft!! Dead wrong on both counts!!!! Sorry. We do see a lot of newbees wanting to start off with aircraft that is too advanced (and then don't listen to good advice) and I guess I've gotten a little jaded because of that. I'll curb my judgements and stick with the facts going forward. I am here, as are most to try to help others in RC flying. You appear to have a good knowledge base to adapt to RC flying plus a good attitude. Best of luck on your RC flying adventures.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM
BKuch

Oh heavens!!! No apology is neccessary at all! On the contrary, your advice is well intended and well heeded. I took no offense whatsoever and I'm sorry if it sounded that way. What I hoped to do was to acknowledge your thoughts and just let you know that I wasn't blundering into the sort of disasters that I'm sure you're familiar with. I don't know a lot about RC flying , but I've certainly occupied many hours over the past few weeks watching the YouTube Follies starring people willingly destroying wonderful aircraft for want of a bit more experience.

In any case, your guidence is always welcome with me.

Cheers,
Bob