Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine dying

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine dying

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
my05monte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dying

I'm having trouble with the engine dying with only 4 to5 minutes in the air. The engine is an os 46ax installed in a Hanger9 Saratoga. The problem startred after the muffler came loose on a evolution engine. When I could'nt get that engine tuned, I put the os engine in. It will run fine on the ground and I'm running it 3to4 clicks rich. I pulled the tank and replaced the filter and tubing but it still deadsticks with over a half tank of fuel. I ordered a new tank from Horizon but is there anything else I should look at. IOf anything, I'm getting good at deadstick landings
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Default RE: engine dying

Could be many things. Start with the simplest first...glowplug?..How old is the fuel? A guy at our field had the same problem. A new jug of fuel cured it.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
my05monte

The glowplug is new along with the engine ( broken in with 2 tanks of fuel). I bought the fuel last summer so it is possible it could be that. I hate to throw away a 1/3 jug of fuel.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Break-ins are tough on glow plugs, so I would still try a new one. There is no need to throw the fuel away. If new fuel fixes your problem, use the old fuel for break-ins. If it doesn't then you are eventualy going to need more fuel anyway. You could even "borrow" a tank of fuel from someone at the field, and maybe even a glowplug. At least you can mark that off your list of possible causes.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your tank clunk stuck in the corner of the tank? Is your tank lower than the carb so it is having to pull the fuel up? The golden rule is the center of your tank needs to be in line with the fuel feed on the carb. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Villa

Hi my05monte
I have seen similar cases and it turned out the fuel OUT and the pressure IN connections were mixed up. Check for this.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi my05monte
I have seen similar cases and it turned out the fuel OUT and the pressure IN connections were mixed up. Check for this.
This has happened maybe more then once to me? Maybe even twice?? I have also had a stuck clunck, a hole in the inside line, little things like that. Sure sounds like the reversed lines.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you open up enough airflow in the cowl?  Engine overheating?

Could also be an overly lean run.

Did you tear the feed line in the tank?  Once it gets to the plug level it starts sucking air.  Than can happen if the brass/aluminum tank tube has a rough or sharp spot.

Love my Saratoga.  They're great flying planes.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
rlipsett

after you dead sticked the plane let the engine cool down for about 10 minutes. Do not refill the tank with fuel and restart the engine. Does the engine stall soon after or not start at all? If so look for a tank or plumbing problem causing the trouble.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
my05monte

I think we found it. The fuselage was soaked arond the tank and battery area. I could literaly wring the fuel out of the foam padding. One of the engine mount screws in the firewall had started to rub a hole in the tank. Had to order a new reciever as this one is fuel soaked so I won't know for sure till it comes in. Many thanks to all and happy flying
Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I think I recall a fire wall screw /motor mount screw poking a hole in a tank once too?? Maybe?? Maybe even forgot to tighten the bung expanding screw once? Silly things can happen.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: my05monte

I think we found it. The fuselage was soaked arond the tank and battery area. I could literaly wring the fuel out of the foam padding. One of the engine mount screws in the firewall had started to rub a hole in the tank. Had to order a new reciever as this one is fuel soaked so I won't know for sure till it comes in. Many thanks to all and happy flying
There you go blaming a little screw, when that cat snuck in and bit a hole in the tank. Mine would do something like that if he feels short on his Tuna ration.

Good idea is to use blind (tee) nuts on the firewall and cut off the screws/bolts so they do not extend into the tank area. Probably no need to patent your situation as I feel reaaal certain that it has been done before. Good luck flying.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Your receiver should dry out ok. The alcohol won't stay there long and castor oil is non-conductive. If you want to salvage it, open it up and rinse it out with some distilled water then leave it out in the sun for a couple of days to dry it. As long as nothing corrodes it should be fine. Obviously you'll want to do a range test and extended stick wiggling test on the ground before flying it after that.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM
mike109

G'day

If I dropped a receiver in fuel, I would wash it out with metho (de-natured alcohol) and then let it dry. I am pretty sure it would still be OK.

Some years ago we, at work, had a hydrophone streamer which we towed behind an Australian navy vessel. The streamer was filled with electronics and a liquid called Shell Sol-T. The Sol-t made the streamer casing and the wiring brittle so we tried all sorts of other liquids to use. I suggested castor oil and it ended up being the best as it did not harden the plastic or cause any damage to the electronics.

On a similar note, way back in the early 1980s, we had some early computers. An operator spilled coffee into the keyboard and the serviceman told us we needed a new one for about $1000. My mate, our technician, washed the keyboard with Freon, then distilled water and finally with metho to dry it out. He then let it dry for a few days. It worked perfectly. Modern electronics is amazingly tough.

Mike in Oz