Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best trainer plane for a Complete Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best trainer plane for a Complete Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
helisrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best trainer plane for a Complete Beginner

Hey everyone!

I am getting the itch to try rc flying. I have no experience and have been researching trying to find a good trainer plan to start with. I would like to start with something that is electric, yet a good plane to learn with so that I can upgrade when I feel comfortable enough. I have a big flying field close to my house so space is not an issue for me. I would like to spend $200.00 or less on a plane that will teach me the basics of the hobby, as well as give me some good flying experience. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Travis
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Best trainer plane for a Complete Beginner

Radian
Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The absolute best trainer is the one your instructor has on the buddy box with you.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've seen several pilots at our club have great success with the new Hobbico Sensei trainer:

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...010/index.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1368

The Sensei is available with or without a radio system, so you can use your existing radio or get one included with the plane. We've had two new pilots solo very quickly on their Sensei trainers, and they both still enjoy flying them even though they've added more challenging aircraft to their hangars. Another pilot, a gentleman who seems to have a terrible time keeping any other trainer up and flying successfully, bought a Sensei a couple of months ago. He's been flying it regularly and it still looks like brand new.

There are plenty of good electric trainer aircraft out there. I sure wouldn't try to talk anyone out of purchasing a Radian glider or an Apprentice 15e. I've just seen a number of recent successes with Sensei owners. Having flown them myself, I think the Sensei makes a really good aileron trainer. I also like the fact that you can pick your own brand of radio equipment if you'd like.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say get a good simulator and use it, find a local club and join, and either the Sensi or Apprentice would be great. The Radian is also a good suggestion especially if you are interested in gliders.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 AM
rlipsett

I have taken up a student with an apprentice. A fairly decent aircraft, flys nice a little bit small so it gets buffeted by winds some but not too badly. Make sure you have plenty of charged batteries so that you can accumulate quality flight time with your instructor to reinforce good habits after you do things right instead of putting them off til next week whe you have more charged batteries.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 AM
ATVAlliance

I just put one of these together for a friend that is wanting to get into the hobby.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html

It is similar to the Apprentice, but cheaper.

It took me a couple of hours to put it together...glue wing halves and tail feather on. Motor & ESC was already installed. Have to cut the ailerons off the wing as it comes with hinges. I used hinge tape on the elevator and rudder just for safe measure as the only hinge is a connecting piece of foam as a hinge. Also, have to install the clevices and connect the rods (rods already installed and connected to the servos).

If you rush it...it could be assembled in less than 2 hours...but I like to take my time and do it right the first time.

I maidened it and it flew well. Flies just like a number of other trainer planes I have flown...which means it is kind of slow reacting and rolling. But will fly slow and easy enough to learn on.

The wheels that come with it are tiny...too small for grass so I put on some 2" thin wheels like that come with a Mini Ultra stick, like these...

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...86MS/101.0.1.1

Really though you can easily hand launch this plane. Its just I want my friend to be able to learn how to take off from the runway so he will be better prepared for his next plane.

This plane comes with everything needed to fly. The plane, acheap 2.4 TX/RX and 1 lipo battery and wall charger. I would buy at least 1 or 2 additional batteries so you can have more flying time, rather than waiting for batteries to charge.

I was impressed that this plane flew as good as it did for the money it cost. Yes, you can tell its a cheapie...but it flies good. And they sell spare parts for it as well. The motor doesnt look that durable, but it is a brushless motor. Comes with a spare prop too.

This plane is at least worth a look since you are setting your budget at 200 or less.

Also, even though this planes design is similar to the Apprentice...its a smaller plane, as well I would guess lighter. When I maidened this plane it was a bit windy and I would suggest that someone brand new to flying try and only fly this plane with low/no wind. It will fly in some wind...but you have to really be on the sticks. With no wind it really flies well.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll notice that an instructor has been mentioned by a couple of people in this thread. That's because it's a very different path between gaining the skills needed to fly serious model planes vs. just putting toy type planes in the air. If the question is what plane to get if you don't plan to learn any flying skills with an instructor before soloing (also known as doing it on your own) then a Hobby Zone Super Cub is decent on calm days. I'd call it a happy medium between toy grade planes and hobby grade. It's not crash proof by any means, but it bounces reasonably well and parts are cheap. Understand that the plane won't teach you proper piloting technique or how to gauge the weather to decide if the wind conditions are acceptable for the plane (at least not until after you're in the air). If you really don't want to learn anything before starting to fly (note: reading stuff on RCU does nothing to develop your flying skills) a Firebird Commander will go around in circles for you in a very wide open space. It's more of a toy though in that it is designed to be flown by unskilled pilots. However, if you plan to use this first plane to learn piloting skills in order to move on to better performing planes, the ones mentioned above (especially the Apprentice) are good choices for working with an instructor. Before buying anything though, talk with an instructor and see what he recommends.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Jester hit the nail on the head. Its the difference between an airplane driver and a pilot. How serious do you want to go. I'm one of the instructors in our club and suggest the apprentice 15e or the alpha 450. Neither is in your price range. Both are buddy box compatible and will teach you how to be a pilot. There are others and I tell the students to ask me before buying. You fly the plane and put it where you want it as opposed to just keeping the thing in the air. Just a quick story, at our last jet event a guy was sent to me that wanted instruction. He showed me a plane he already bought. It amounted to a 3 channel motor glider with a proprietary transmitter, that supposedly had buddy box capability. I looked it up and discovered that it does not buddy box with the standard transmitters we can support (Spektrum, JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics). I told him you have to buy another transmitter and special cable. Turns out they dont sell the transmitter separate. He paid $100. I told him the best I can do is maiden it and trim it, then stand next to him and hope we can pass the transmitter back and forth. In the end, I think he will still need to upgrade to a 4 channel plane like the apprentice 15e to learn flight aerodynamics. I personally dont care what plane the student uses (glow, electric, gas) as long as the plane is not a toy. I'm not saying you cant learn on them, I think the path is longer. I recently soloed two people in less than 15 flights. The average person is 30 to 50 flights. I teach to a program (hopefully its fun to the student) that involves learning basic menuvers, how to handle emergency situations, basic aerobatics, and dead sticking.
Edwin

Forgot to mention, an instructor will also teach you how to repair. Just cause you have an instructor, doesnt mean you wont crash. Most of my students get at least some damage when learning how to land on wheels.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
helisrock

Thanks guys! I will think about buying a Sensei and joining my local club.  How much does this plane cost?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
ATVAlliance

The Dynam "I can fly" I made mention of in my last post also has a proprietary TX/RX. Has a buddy box/SIM port but I guess you would have to buy another radio to use it.

What I did was take one of my cheap oomodel AR6100 RX and put it in the plane. then I used my DX4e and DX7 to buddy box with. Im sure someone in the club will have 2 spektrum radios and possibly a spare 6100 RX that could be used during the initial training. Then once you solo, switch back over to the RX/TX that came with it. At least that is what I am doing with my friend that I am teaching to fly.

Like I said...the Dynam from nitroplanes does fly like a traditional trainer. Andlike I said, it looks a lot likethe Apprentice, only a tad smaller and its all foam (no plastic cowl). Its a 4 channel with ailerons and flies just like other trainers I have flown...but obviously lighter because its a foamy. Actually was the first foamy trainer I had flown and was impressed with the way it flew. Nice aileron banked turns and the rudder and elevator reacted nice.

For 100 bucks, if you are on a budget...its a winner. Also, this plane flies so slow that buddy boxing isnt totally necessary if flown high enough...but I still recommend buddy boxing till you solo.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
helisrock

Thanks for the advice! I will start doing more research!

Travis
Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM
WI53072

Sig Kadet Senior ARF. Petty solid airplane. can later be converted to a tail dragger with little trouble. Have Fun
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I learned how to do a control line plane when I was a kid, continued flying with bigger planes using 75' steel cable rather than 30' of string.
I was 30 something when I learned radio control flight and picked it right up, never had a buddy box. Built an Eagle II trainer, then bought me a cheap little car just to get the left and right orientation and get the feel for radio controls. I ended up putting that Eagle II right up and landing it the first time and attribute that from my childhood control line experience. I then had a 30yr absence from the hobby until just recently, the kids have grown up and i'm pulling all my stuff from the attic, just a couple weeks ago I actually flew that old Eagle with the os 40, old school radio and all, put her right up and now I'm jumpimg back in with both feet.
My advise to you would be to play on the ground with a cheap 50.00 car just to orient with left and right controls, drive the car out and turn back and drive towards yourself, set up a pylon obstacle course and practice till left and right become second nature, a cheap control line plane will also help you to learn how little movement it actually takes to get a reaction, as i said i learned control line and that is why it was so easy for me to radio control fly.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Control line?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM
JeffinTD

I did control line too, back in the day.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Mr67Stang

I like going used for the first plane. I do recommend having an experienced person go with you or have the guy demonstrate everything works for you. Here are some links from your local CL.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tag/3090909094.html - this guy has an Alpha 40 w/transmitter for $190

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tag/3045643247.html - this guy has a foam/electric Super Cub ready to fly for $130

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3047398976.html - this guy has a couple

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3075396286.html - this might be a good deal but a little small

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bar/3073056364.html - this guy has an Avistar (one ofmy favorites) for $125

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3101128326.html - this guy has a couple of trainers; if you can get him to split the package

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3106426481.html - this guy has a ton of planes for sale; you should talk to someone like this to get the propper start

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3083689266.html - $150; looks like everything you need

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tag/3103711875.html - looks like some good stuff here

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
helisrock

Mr67Stang,

Thanks for looking all of those up for me!  In your opinion would the electric super cub be a good plane to start with?  Also, is it a good deal?

Thanks,

Travis
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

No. Go with the Avistar.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

Simple cheap and just to learn the basics. GWS Slow stick.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The Kadet LT40 is a very forgiving plane and handles well in wind. Mine has a low dihedral, so not a beginner plane, but built per design with high dihedral would make it fly very nice and self correcting.

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC67ARF.html
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: helisrock

Mr67Stang,

Thanks for looking all of those up for me! In your opinion would the electric super cub be a good plane to start with? Also, is it a good deal?

Thanks,

Travis
No problem. I was on some down time and have had lots of practice searching CL for deals. A new Super Cub is $200. So $130 is not bad. $100 would be better. If your going to go it alone, the super cub would likely be your best bet (out of the planes I listed). You will end up spending more ordering replacement parts for the Super Cub than if you went with a more traditional nitro trainer and an instructor. If you want to go it alone, get a simulator. I saw one of those in your area while I was searching as well. here:
http://appleton.craigslist.org/tag/3022937444.html
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm not so sure I can agree with the Supercub as a first plane either. While it has the high wing of the traditional trainer, the smaller tail surfaces and light weight will make it harder to control with anything above a light breeze while the extremely forward location of the landing gear is inviting a nose over and broken props until you learn how to land it safely. I'd go with a traditional trainer as they will be more forgiving in the wind, be it a tail dragger or tricycle geared plane.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Chucksolo69

If you have NEVER flown before, I would recommend the Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos. It is about the easiest plane to fly there is and will help a lot with orientation and landing. The plane can be flown with or without the tricycle landing gear. It was my first plane and I still fly it a lot despite having a few other planes including the HZ Super Cub and HZ Champ. It won't break the bank at $130.00 RTF either.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True, a Super Cub won't handle much wind but that's the compromise you make sometimes for flying on your own in a small area. The OP should definitely consider a club and an instructor if he goes with a traditional .40 size trainer though. The Super Cub is built to be flown by a novice and ditched in the grass multiple times, while the balsa trainer is meant to be flown properly and to perform better, which also means it will let you crash it more easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.