Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Where in marine Bill

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Where in marine Bill

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where in marine Bill

Hey Bill
Here is a picture of a giant stick for my grandson who is a Marine. Hopefully will be home next week for a few days. The plane is almost finished. Gas 52. It has OOH-RAH on the bottom of the wing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32206.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1774645  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Where in marine Bill

What does OOH-RAHreally mean?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
goirish

I'm no Marine but when we went to the graduation in San Diego they were all yelling that on the parade field. I'm sure there are some Marine that will chip in and answer that question.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 AM
levram1

I thought it was maybe "greek" for Jar Head.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the last sound that Charlie hears before he dies!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: levram1

What does OOH-RAH really mean?

13 weeks on Parris Island and you will have your answer. As for
where Bill is, that is a need to know situation. (JK) Gene, Very Nice
plane. Tell your grandson Semper Fi for me.

Bob
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
levram1

Charlies stopped dying in 1972. Seriously, what does it mean?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie never stops dying.

The 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the introduction of "Ooh-rah!" into the Marine Corps in 1953, shortly after the Korean War.

Recon Marines served aboard the USS Perch (ASSP-313), a WWII-era diesel submarine retrofitted to carry Navy UDT and Recon Marines. Whenever the boat was to dive, the 1MC (PA system) would announce "DIVE! DIVE!", followed by the sound of the diving klaxon: "AHUGA!" In 1953 or 1954, while on a conditioning run, former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John R. Massaro, while serving as company Gunnery Sergeant of 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, simulated the "Dive" horn sound "AHUGA!" as part of the cadence. Legend has it, he took it with him when he went to serve as an instructor at the Drill Instructor school at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

He there passed it on to the Drill Instructor students and they, in turn, passed it on to their recruits where it eventually and naturally became a part of the Recon cadence, and thereafter infiltrated Recon Marine lexicon.[1] Over time, "AHUGA!" morphed into the shorter, simpler "Oorah!" Today, the official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AHUGA!"

All of the services now have a cadence sound, or yell, or grunt of some sort. It all started with the Marines with their OOH-RAH sound and went from there.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Live Wire

A bit of History , And thak you CG.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
CGRetired

Here is a little Coast Guard history:

"Semper Paratus" (Latin for "Always Ready") is the official march of the United States Coast Guard.

Semper Paratus is also the official Coast Guard motto. The origin of the phrase is obscure, although the Coast Guard Historian's Office notes the first use was by the New Orleans Bee newspaper in the 1830s, in reference to the actions of the Revenue Cutter Service during the Ingham Incident. The original lyrics (seen below) were written by Captain Francis Saltus Van Boskerck in 1922, in the cabin of the cutter Yamacraw, in Savannah, Georgia; he wrote the music in 1927, on a "beat-up old piano" in Unalaska, Alaska.

If you are interested, check this out: http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/h_uscghistory.asp

Sorry for hijacking... back to the thread....

CGr
Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
goirish

Where else but on RCU can one learn so much. You did not hijack the thread, you really made the post interesting. I printed that out and shared it with my grandson's mother. BTW.He has been recommended to attend Annapolis. Waiting for our state senator or congressman to fill out the paper work. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
CGRetired

WOW, Irish!!! That is absolutely wonderful news! Please, by all means, keep us up to date. I really hope he gets the appointment!!!!

Although I was a Mustang, Chief Warrant Officer, I have a lot of respect for those that managed to get through the "trade schools" via the enlisted route. Good stuff!!!!

Dick.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM
jetmech05

Ooh Rah was indeed a part of my Marine Corps Plt 1099 B Co 1st BN MCRD SAN DIEGO Grad Dec of 73 Used the battle cry often in my 13 yrs...I will still use it today when acknowleged by another Marine who says Semper Fi,,I simply answer Ooh Rah.
Nice looking Airplane
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
CGRetired

Hey,, Don. How is your daughter doing?

I must say, unfortunitly, there are not that many Coasties around (here on RCU), or other folks that recall what Semper Paratus means or stands for. [] But, I am somehow connected to all you Warriers. We all did our part.

CGr
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It doesnt mean anything but is more of a war or rally cry. It is also used to express excitement.
Air force uses it too.

"Today we get steak at chow".

"OOH RAH"
Old 06-23-2012, 04:12 AM
GaryHarris

My brother.

https://marines.togetherweserved.com...tExt&ID=351215

Today he is a 3rd degree black belt in Kuk Sool an owns this studio in San Diego.

http://www.blacklotusmartialartsacad...nstructors.php

I wouldn't suggest picking a fight with him.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM
levram1

Great stuff CG. Thank you.
ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Charlie never stops dying.

The 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the introduction of "Ooh-rah!" into the Marine Corps in 1953, shortly after the Korean War.

Recon Marines served aboard the USS Perch (ASSP-313), a WWII-era diesel submarine retrofitted to carry Navy UDT and Recon Marines. Whenever the boat was to dive, the 1MC (PA system) would announce "DIVE! DIVE!", followed by the sound of the diving klaxon: "AHUGA!" In 1953 or 1954, while on a conditioning run, former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John R. Massaro, while serving as company Gunnery Sergeant of 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, simulated the "Dive" horn sound "AHUGA!" as part of the cadence. Legend has it, he took it with him when he went to serve as an instructor at the Drill Instructor school at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.

He there passed it on to the Drill Instructor students and they, in turn, passed it on to their recruits where it eventually and naturally became a part of the Recon cadence, and thereafter infiltrated Recon Marine lexicon.[1] Over time, "AHUGA!" morphed into the shorter, simpler "Oorah!" Today, the official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AHUGA!"

All of the services now have a cadence sound, or yell, or grunt of some sort. It all started with the Marines with their OOH-RAH sound and went from there.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM
goirish

Thank Heaven for people like your brother and sister-in-law.  Tell them thanks for serving this great country.  Thanks for the link.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 AM
levram1

I pray that you are of the same political affiliation as your congressman or senator. Ask me how I know.
ORIGINAL: goirish

Where else but on RCU can one learn so much. You did not hijack the thread, you really made the post interesting. I printed that out and shared it with my grandson's mother. BTW.He has been recommended to attend Annapolis. Waiting for our state senator or congressman to fill out the paper work. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 AM
goirish

AHHHH!!!! we do have that favor.  I use to coach high school volleyball and he was one of our referee's.  Know him well.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 AM
CGRetired

BTW, Irish.. really cool plane!!!! He really ought to enjoy flying that one!!!

CGr
Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
levram1

Great stuff. Saves a ton of aggravarion. I believe he will be a shoe-in!
ORIGINAL: goirish

AHHHH!!!! we do have that favor. I use to coach high school volleyball and he was one of our referee's. Know him well.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I wish your grandson luck and getting that appointment. There is nothing like getting paid to go to school And I'm not being facitious nor snide. Getting up at the crack of dawn and going on a 5 mile jog in formation is a helluva way to start the day.One way tomake it through basic summer is to remember that you are getting paid for this. And the eduction you get is like no where else except the other service academies. Education. three squares, militaryhistory, athletic training and competition, comraderie,and getting paid And a career if you want it.

BTW, we Zoomies never said OOH-RAH. It reminds me of the cry of the Mars war machines in the War of the Worlds musical.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
jetmech05

CG: Daughter and son in law are doing great just PCS to Port Angeles WA....she got a CG Achievment Medal from her last command....Semper Paratus....I thought it meant Always Pirates LOL
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM
CGRetired

Ha... When I was E6, I went to a Senior Leadership Conference in San Diego. The class was 23 squids and 2 coasties. A Chief Boilerman called me a Puddle Pirate.. I laughed my butt off with that one. He through he would offend me, but did not. It was a blast because we (the other Coastie and me) got the last laugh.. upon "graduation", the other Coastie was #2 and I was # 1 in the class.

Aaaaanyway, Port Angeles!! Great place.. been there several times while on partol on the Coast Guard Cutter Comanche (WMEC-202), now decomissioned. In fact, my old CO, Captain (O6) Mike Stenger, was CO there for his last command. He retired there and lives in PA now. We keep in touch.

She should really enjoy that area. I absolutely LOVE the Seattle / Straights area.

Achievement Medal! Very nice!!!! Congrats to her and to you, the happy Dad!!!

CGr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.