Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1st U.S. RC Flight School

Below you will find a copy of the letter I sent to Dave Scott at the 1st U.S. RC Flight School.

This is the first time that I have posted anything on a forum. But, if you read the letter you will see that I have a very strong opinion as to the value of attending this course. The cost of this course is approximately the cost of one (1) airplane. The school provides the aircraft and fuel, all you need to do is show up on your appointed week. No you do not get a free airplane at the end of the course, but you do walk away with the knowledge and skills to hopefully keep your own airplane for a while!

I do not want to detract anything from all of the club instructors who devote hours of their personal time to instruct beginners (Newbie’s). God knows that some of you probably deserve "Sainthood" status for your patience and devotion. I know some of these instructors have forgotten more than I will ever know. But, that is also my point. Some of the club instructors have been teaching and flying for a long time, piloting an aircraft has become second nature. So what they do to pilot an aircraft has become so routine and so ingrained they sometimes have trouble recognizing what a student is doing wrong and have trouble explaining what to do to correct a problem when they do recognize the student is doing something wrong. Dave Scott's course not only teaches the piloting basics in a structured way but, also provides the underlying principles as to why "doing this" works and why "doing that" does not. Dave Scott has the ability to instantly recognize what a student is doing wrong and is able to explain how to correct the problem.

The course is well worth the money!

"I wanted to take a few minutes to THANK YOU. Your basic course which I attended in May has totally changed my future in this hobby.

I have wanted to be part of this hobby since I was a child, but had to wait until later in life to start. I have been in the hobby for approximately four years now and attended / graduated from flight training at the local club. It took almost two seasons for me to complete the local training; I just was not β€œgetting it”. After soloing at the local field, I was extremely tense when attempting to fly the aircraft. It was very rare that I returned home from a day at the field without damaging or completely destroying my plane through repeated crashes. I was completely frustrated as you can imagine. It was NOT relaxing and it definitely was NOT fun!

I had invested a lot of time and money into this hobby, but I was thinking I may have waited too long in life to start this and was at the point of giving up. I decided to do some research on the possibility of getting further training. That is when I found out about your training course and decided to give it a try before giving up.

It was several weeks after attending your basic course, before I had a day that I could go to the local flying field. What a difference. During my first take off run I was somewhat nervous with this being my first flight without someone standing there with me. After several seconds I realized I could do this! I instantly relaxed. I then realized I was having FUN. That flight and all the subsequent flights to date have been uneventful. The flying has been great, all of my landings have β€œfloated” in, straight down the center of the runway and yes all the take offs had an equal number of uneventful landings! Some of the flights were even easy, it’s WONDERFUL.

Again, thank you".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great letter and fantastic that you can enjoy flying. That is what it is all about. Having fun and enjoyment in the hobby is the fabric that makes it all worthwhile. Happy flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exactly what I meant, and this person did the club training. As I said before I'm sad that I didn't know of this school before. I spent far more of $600 trying to learn this hobby with the "free" club instruction
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm in a really strange situation. For many years now, I literally am begging to offer people free instrucition, using my equipment and I'm placing myself on-call for anyone who needs help. Problem is, I'm not sure, but I think needy beginners in clubs have been discouraged by those who know how to fly from taking lessons from me. All I know is, although I let it be known that I'm available, yet I never hear from any beginners.

I usually can have anyone flying very safely and smoothly on their own within 3 hours of instruction, many times on the same day.
    I have literally everyone land, (with minimal assistance) on their very first lesson. I can also immediately help with the transition to more advanced aircraft right away. No charge, but I'm not too proud to accept donations.

So if their is anyone out there wanting to learn ASAP, I am always available. Just send me an email.

Fliers1
    Fliers1@aol.com
    www.abchobbyshop.com- information

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fliers1

I'm in a really strange situation. For many years now, I literally am begging to offer people free instrucition, using my equipment and I'm placing myself on-call for anyone who needs help. Problem is, I'm not sure, but I think needy beginners in clubs have been discouraged by those who know how to fly from taking lessons from me. All I know is, although I let it be known that I'm available, yet I never hear from any beginners.

I usually can have anyone flying very safely and smoothly on their own within 3 hours of instruction, many times on the same day.
    I have literally everyone land, (with minimal assistance) on their very first lesson. I can also immediately help with the transition to more advanced aircraft right away. No charge, but I'm not too proud to accept donations.

So if their is anyone out there wanting to learn ASAP, I am always available. Just send me an email.

Fliers1
    Fliers1@aol.com

Wow! That was quick. I received quite a few replies from folks looking for someone to teach them. Some from as far away as 200 miles away. BTW, I teach in up to 20 plus winds.

Fliers1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK - I'll ask. Out of 10 students, how many make it one year without crashing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

OK - I'll ask. Out of 10 students, how many make it one year without crashing?
    As far as I know, 10 out of 10 didn't crash, at least not because of pilot error.

Fliers1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now THAT's something that you can hang a hat on!

One of my biggest peeves is that the instructors set the newbie's expectation by saying that they will crash, so expect it. I instruct car drivers on road courses. Can you imagine setting that picture in the student's mind? Yikes!

Oh yea - do you have a syllabus that you hand out to your students?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of my biggest peeves is that the instructors set the newbie's expectation by saying that they will crash, so expect it. I instruct car drivers on road courses. Can you imagine setting that picture in the student's mind? Yikes!

I agree. Why would anyone expect a crash? Makes no sense at all. Can you imagine teaching motorcycle driving and telling the student, "I just want to let you know you can expect to crash at some point". I think teaching anyone that you are definitely going to crash is bad bull hockey.

As long as your equipment is working properly and you don't do anything stupid no reason to be crashing. If you take a plane beyonds its limits you may well crash however that should make sense even to newbies.

The only times I have crashed any planes in the past three years I have been flying was either due to a equipment failure or just doing something stupid like reversed ailerons and some of those could have been avoided.

I fly with a group of guys at one club that have been flying for close to 35 years and rarely, if ever, do you see them crash and on the rare occasion you see it happen it winds up being an equipment failure. I never hear those guys telling someone they can expect to crash. If that is the expectation why teach someone to fly RC?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Promoting the hobby by offering everyone the opportunity to fly RC aircraft is my main, if not only reason to be in this hobby/sport.

No, I don't have a syllabus, but I found that I don't really need one.

I've been at this for many years and still can't understand why I've faced so much resistance from those who claim to want growth in this hobby/sport. It appears that they don't have the best interest of the beginner nor the hobby/sport at heart.

I always have an LT-40 in my van ready to fly. I go out of my way to give people RC flying experience on a 7 day a week basis. I am having a professionally made video of my promotion/teaching method made. Hopefully it will be ready some times next week. Several members of the industry including an AMA official have shown interest in seeing this video.

Fliers1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Promoting the hobby by offering everyone the opportunity to fly RC aircraft is my main, if not only reason to be in this hobby/sport.

Way to go, keep it up man

I've been at this for many years and still can't understand what I've faced so much resistance from those who claim to want growth in this hobby/sport. It appears that they don't have the best interest of the beginner nor the hobby/sport at heart.

I always have an LT-40 in my van ready to fly. I go out of my way to give people RC flying experience on a 7 day a week basis. I am having a professionally made video of my promotion/teaching method made. Hopefully it will be ready some times next week. Several members of the industry including an AMA official have shown interest in seeing this video.

Fliers1
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Way to go, keep it up man

I've been at this for many years and still can't understand what I've faced so much resistance from those who claim to want growth in this hobby/sport. It appears that they don't have the best interest of the beginner nor the hobby/sport at heart.

Fliers1

http://www.amadistrictii.org/column/...9%20Column.pdf

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...king-together/

Fliers1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like this part of RCU. The beginners section. Like Fliers 1 I enjoy teaching. Now I have all sorts of awards and other things for teaching people the sport of model air plane flying. Like I said I enjoy teaching and have gotten pretty good at it. Flier 1 on the other hand is great at teaching. Fliers 1 has a tremendous record and a proven method. Many of you wanting to get into this hobby/sport should pay attention to his message and his method.
    One other thing about learning. We all take to this hobby/sport with some sort of expectation as to what this is all about. Some join in as something else to to do in their leisure time. Others jump in with both feet. All have to start some place. This forum is full of stories of how people got started. We hear stories of how people went on their own and don't care for clubs. We hear stories of those that went to a club and had a bad experience. There is the stories of the people that went to a club and found that nice person that helped them become a very active part of the sport. I for one enjoy all the stories. I take my hat off to the many folks around the world that teach and give it their best. I would like to say to all that teach. Thanks!
    To Fliers 1 I would say, you have done many good things and I hope you keep up the good work.
    The subject of 1st U. S. RC Flight School. I have been around for a while and I have to say that everything I have heard about these people is positive and they do a very good job. A guy like me can teach you the basics and get you going. How far you go is your call. The Flight School seems geared to taking a pilot to the next levels of the sport. Whatever that next level is to the student.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am an instructor and usually have a few students on the go but I am the first one to admitt that I don't know it all and I too can always learn more... One of the most attractive things about this hobby is that there is always more to learn... I think a pro flight school is a great idea , maybe even one for instructors to better train students..Each student is different . Some are so easy to train and some are a little more challenging...If this school was closer to me I would consider going for advanced training...I am not a " know it all"  I learned a long time ago that you cant teach much to a know it all...I enjoy the giving part of the hobby ,  the giving of our time to help others get started by learning how to fly..When we teach sombody  somthing we give them a gift that will last them a life time and that is pretty special...

Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I am anΒ*instructor and usuallyΒ*have a few students on the go but I am the first one to admitt that I don't know it all and I too can always learn more... One of the most attractive things about this hobby is that there is always more to learn...Β*I think a proΒ*flight school is a great idea , maybe even one for instructors to better train students..Each student is different . Some are so easy to train and some are a little more challenging...If this school was closer to me I would consider going for advanced training...I am not a ''Β*know it all''Β* I learned a long time ago that you cant teach much to a know it all...I enjoy the giving part of the hobby , Β*the giving of our time to help others get started by learning how to fly..When we teach sombodyΒ* somthing we give them a gift that will last them a life time and that is pretty special...

I am still toying with the idea of having a flight school to teach instructors a much easier, faster and safer way to teach. I found out that it was much easier than I first thought. I gave a fellow instructor a 15 minute course of my teaching method. The next day, he was very excited on how he trained his 9 year old daughter how to takeoff, fly and land in one lesson. Of course, she will have to put in some more, but not much stick time to polish her flying.

I have copied something from a club's web site on what they consider the usual learning curve. They stated that "some learn quickly (a few weeks). You should count on 50 fifteen minute flights to start. You can expect 2 to 6 flights a day on an average Saturday or Sunday."

Now I see why so many are so skeptical of my comparably instant learning curve. All I need is one person that I've trained to reveal my "scam". lol.

Fliers1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    To visit 1st us rc flight school is the best money you will ever spend in this Hobby.
    I went there for the Beginner course and the Aerobatic and it was fantastic. I have learned more hands on than you can imagine.
    Flying now when it is windy, is the most joy in this sport.All other Pilots, oh it is too windy not for me. Thanks to Scott an awsome Person and great Teacher.
    Hans

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flight school vs. club instructors

Gentlemen,

As others in this thread I have first hand experiance with great club instructors as well as Dave Scott at his Flight School. I thought I'd breifely share some thoughts if it would help a few make a decision on what to do, considering both options.

After trying a simulator and being self taught, I got into the hobby and soon crashed a few planes. Most club instructors have good intensions and are great flyers, but there is a HUGE difference between a good flyer and a good instructor. As a professional educator I appreciate recognizing a good instructor and I find there aren't very many in the world of RC.

I went to Dave's school and gambled the $2,000 I spent wasn't going to be wasted ($700 tuition, $500 airline ticket, $400 motel, $300 rental car, $100 cheap meals). Although club instructors wanted to help me, I noted they all did things differently and although that may not be a necessarily a bad thing, I was afraid I'd pick up some bad habits that would impede my progress at a later level.

When flying, Dave carefully watches the plane, not your fingers, and knows exactly what you are doing and more importantly, WHY you are doing it. He can coach you at your level of flying, suggest ways to overcome the hurdles you encounter and increase your skill level by personally addressing the challenges you have in your flying.

In short, you are paying for personal coaching from a professional flyer with decades of flying AND teaching experiance. In addition, you SAVE money by bringing your planes home in one piece. I wish I would have attended this school from the beginning, I know I've crashed WAY more in planes than the cost of his instruction.

Club instructors are great, but if you want the best, know you are getting "correct" instruction and learning the best technique, Dave's school is premium for getting you in the sky and reducing the learning curve dramatically.

I will be there this May, this is the third trip. Just read some of the testimonials, you should get an understanding why his classess fill 18 months out.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123