Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can Servo Handle 2 Rods on 1 Horn (same side)?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can Servo Handle 2 Rods on 1 Horn (same side)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Servo Handle 2 Rods on 1 Horn (same side)?

Some here might remember me…I’m a newbie who’s finally ready to start training w/my Goldberg Sr. Falcon ARF/OS .55.

But I’ve hit a snag; I followed the instructions to the letter, but it seems that they were mistaken when it came to the nose wheel/rudder linkage. Cut to the chase, when set up as instructed, the wheel turns in the opposite direction as the rudder (I mean direction of flight, not the rudder itself); turn right, the plane taxi’s to the left.

As it sits now, the two control rods connect to opposite ‘sides’ of the servo….when one rod pulls, the other one pushes, and vice-versa. By far, the easiest solution would be to connect both rods to the same side/horn of the servo…otherwise I have to somehow re-route the nose wheel control rod so it cuts diagonally across the fuse…which is kind of impossible, as the fuel tank sits where it would need to cross.

So my question is, is it OK to have an ‘unbalanced’ servo setup like this…does putting two control rods on one side/horn tax the servo any more than if they were on opposite sides/horns? Do I need to go to a stronger servo (I have a Hitec digital standard one)…or am I mistaken in my impression & there really is no difference in the level of ‘forces’ on the servo relating to whether the rods are on one side or opposite sides? I DO happen to have a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAURL&P=0]super-strong, fast ACE RC servo on hand[/link]..the kind you'd use as a steering servo on a RC monster truck. But it's pretty heavy, it draws a lot of power and I don't know if having a servo that mighty affects flying characteristics (negatively) or not.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Can Servo Handle 2 Rods on 1 Horn (same side)?

I'm not quite sure what you're saying as to what the nose wheel is doing. But, when set up properly when you move the rudder stick to the right the rudder should move the right and the nose wheel will turn towards the right. It's a pretty common practice to set up the rudder servo just like you have said, with the rudder connected to one side of the control arm and the nose wheel linkages set up on the other side of the control arm. However, it's not set in stone in that it has to be set up like that. If you need to connect the nose wheel to the same side of the control arm as the rudder is connected to you can surely do it without any problems. You definitely don't need to put in a special high power servo in order to do that. A standard servo is more than enough in a 40 sized trainer like you have.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Deandome

Thanks!

Yeah, the problem is, with the current setup..where the servo & control rods are on the LH side of the fuselage & the control horn for the tire is positioned on the left, when you move the stick right, the wheel turns left. So my only option would be to flip the wheel's horn 180 deg. so it's on the right & then re-direct the rod diagonally across the fuselage, but like I said, the fuel tank makes that nearly impossible.

Anyhow, it looks like I'll put both connections on the same side of the servo (horn-arm). Do you recommend that the rudder or wheel connection be on the outermost position of the servo-arm (giving that rod the most travel)...or does that not really matter?

Thanks again!

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I'm not quite sure what you're saying as to what the nose wheel is doing. But, when set up properly when you move the rudder stick to the right the rudder should move the right and the nose wheel will turn towards the right. It's a pretty common practice to set up the rudder servo just like you have said, with the rudder connected to one side of the control arm and the nose wheel linkages set up on the other side of the control arm. However, it's not set in stone in that it has to be set up like that. If you need to connect the nose wheel to the same side of the control arm as the rudder is connected to you can surely do it without any problems. You definitely don't need to put in a special high power servo in order to do that. A standard servo is more than enough in a 40 sized trainer like you have.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Kaos Rulz

Dean,

No problem putting both the rudder and nose wheel on the same side of that servo. I suggest putting the rudder on the outermost servo horn for max deflection and place the nose wheel on the inner most for min deflection. The nose wheel doesn't need to turn more than about 10 degrrees.
That's a great plane ENJOY!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see a problem Servos routinely operate with the load"imbalanced" off one arm.

Can you swing the horn on the nosewheel strut to the other side?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Put the rudder linkage in the outermost hole as it needs the most movement, and put the nosewheel on an inner hole on the control arm. As it was said above, the nose wheel only needs to turn about 10°-15°. Any more than that and you are going to overcontrol the plane on the ground.

Ken
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.
Can you swing the horn on the nosewheel strut to the other side?
No, that 180 deg. 'swing' repositions the connection on that horn about 2" to the right, meaning the rod would have to traverse the fuselage. The wheel is attached to the rear of the firewall, and the battery and the fuel tank take up all of the space in that 'bay'. having the rod positioned far-left & straight works...going across the bay diagonally doesn't.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's about moving the rudder control rod to the right side as described in the manual?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deandome

No, that 180 deg. 'swing' repositions the connection on that horn about 2'' to the right, meaning the rod would have to traverse the fuselage. The wheel is attached to the rear of the firewall, and the battery and the fuel tank take up all of the space in that 'bay'. having the rod positioned far-left & straight works...going across the bay diagonally doesn't.
You say you are from Libertyville, IL. You have two Forest Preserve flying fields not too distant from you. If you have troubles with such an easy problem, you are going to need a lot of help. Go down to Dundee Road in the Palatine area and go east of 53 a bit and you can find that facility. Maybe visit Venture Hobby, north side of 68, Dundee Rd. just short of the border of Wheeling as you get to Buffalo Grove.
Or you might go down to 53 and head down to the Busse Woods Frorest Preserve. You will always find help there. Use it.

That area spawns many modelers. Use the facilities. Busse Woods is easy to get to. Nice flying site for both RC and CL. It is very
busy on weekends.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
treehanger

Hey you are right! The instructions are wrong. I am just finishing up my Sr. Falcon so I rigged up the receiver and tried it and it turns the front wheel the opposite direction. I'm connected up to the servo arm opposite the rudder. I'll have to movethe steeringto the rudder arm.

My Nexstar works okay connected on opposite servo arms. Ifound the difference is that the contol horn on the rudder is on the opposite sideof the rudder! That reverses everything on the Falcon!They goofed in the manual.

Take a look at my reasoning.

Edit: I must apologize , I was wrong. After looking again, the manual is correct.It appears we both mounted the rudder horn on the wrong side, hence the reversal.

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
treehanger

Please see my correction in post 9.
Bob