Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Scale Cessna 182 for Newb

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Scale Cessna 182 for Newb

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
afmedic911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Cessna 182 for Newb

I want to get a Cessna 182 as my first "real" RC aircraft. Any recomendations by anyone on were to purchase and what manufacurer? I'm looking to a ARF, electric, EPO. Thank you.

Tim
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Scale Cessna 182 for Newb

I know there is an ARF on the Tower website that can be purchased by itself or in a combo. That being said, if you've not flown before, buy the Cessna AND a TRAINER, put the Cessna on a shelf in the closet and start by learning to fly with the trainer.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great advice.

You really don't want to bang up that pretty Cesna while using it as a trainer. Get a well build trainer and learn to fly that way. Of course, this assumes that you have not yet solo'ed and are just starting out in this hobby.

I bought my first trainer, (the model doesn't matter.. look at the sticky at the beginning of the Beginners Forum and look through the list) but just had to have a different plane that I really admired, so I bought it. I built it, shelved it, and looked at it each time I grabbed my trainer equipment (my glow powered trainer, transmitter, and buddy box, as well as field equipment) to go out and fly.

I flew that trainer for quite a while, continuing after I solo'ed. I moved up to a second plane, a Tiger 60 which is a great low-wing trainer, and flew that for a while before I put the "dream" plane in the air. And I was very happy I did that because it was a bit of a challenge at first and would not have worked out at all as a trainer.

CGr/
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I trained on a 182 and will concur that it is not well-suited for beginners. The tapered wings liked to tip stall and landings had to be done just right otherwise the thing would go bouncing down the runway. I actually considered leaving the hobby at the time because I though I just didn't have the ability to learn. Then I got an Ugly Stick and found that I actually could fly RC; I just needed a plane that was forgiving enough that I could learn my technique!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Chucksolo69

Good advice. I started with a Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos, Hobbyzone Champ and Hobbyzone Super Cub. I have flown these for about 3 months now and recently bought a Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale. I thought I was ready for this plane. Uh.............not really. My first attemp ended in disaster with a bent motor shaft, a broken wing and a broken fuselage. I have since put her back together, but am waiting to get more stick time on my 3 channel birds before I attemp to fly the Cessna again.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM
afmedic911

Hey thanks everyone for all the advice, I think I will buy both a 3 channel trainer and the Cessna 182. I agree I should practice, practice, practice until I feel comfortable. Then start flying the Cessna.......

Recomendations for any good inexpensive trainer's?

Tim
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
jester_s1

If the goal is to fly a Cessna then skip the 3 channel trainers. Going to ailerons will mean a complete relearning of your muscle memory. And in this hobby, good and inexpensive don't go together. For electrics, the E-flite apprentice has a great reputation, although I haven't flown one myself. I know you are talking about park flyers and park flyer pilots for some reason seem to feel that working with an instructor is a fate worse than death itself, but if you're in the mood to listen to experience a club that teaches new pilots how to fly would be a great investment for you. Not to pick on him but if you look at chucksolo69's list of planes he's bought, that same money could have gone to club and AMA fees and working with an instructor his skills would likely be good enough for that Cessna by now and possibly some of the aerobatic sport planes on the market as well. The truth is you will spend money learning this hobby. The choice is to either spend it on broken airplanes or at least multiple airplanes or on club fees and instruction.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Chucksolo69

Jester, I am a memeber of the AMA, but, I don't choose to join a club or give them my money. From what I have seen at the club in my area, there are way too many cliques and way too much politics. So don't pick on me. You guys seem like a broken record sometimes. Instructionis a must....blah, blah, blah. We've heard it all before. I have nothing against clubs or instructors. I personally don't want any of it. BTW - That is the first plane I have crashed, despite my lack of so called "instruction." Multiple airplanes are not the issue. Do you have only one? You know what, why don't you just fly what you love ........... and don't mess or criticize other folks. There is nothing wrong with a 3 channel trainer that anyone other than whatthe elitists findwrong with it. Your criticism of we "park flyers" is EXACTLY what I am referring to.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Back to AF medics original question!

AF the apprentice that has been reccomended is fine trainer that I would reccomend Another that I like even better is the Sensei. Those I have completed training two folks with and just started another with.

This last one purchased his Sensei from one of the former who now decided to go glow and is currently using a Senior Kadet glow trainer and utility airplane.

The Cessna is a lousy idea, did I say its a poor idea? I suppose I did. In addition I would not even get one to put on the self for later. Here's why, almost every single one who I have worked with wanted some sort of fancy cessna but the soon changed their ideas on where they wanted to go after the start of their flying and adventure.

Chucksolo if that sound like a broken record well so be it

John
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Chucksolo69

Actually, I would never have written the response to jester had he not mentioned me by name. Like I said, folks are different. If the newbie pilot feels he/she needs club instruction, then great, more power to them and I support that wholeheartedly. I just take exception to the unwavering way of thinking that everyone wants or even needs intstruction. I have sinced maidened a full 4 channel plane successfully and I continue to advance in this hobby. As to the Cessna, I have a couple of friends who have the Cessna 182 Skylane and the Cessna 350 Corvaliss and both fly fine. None of those folks have ever had formal instruction.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
JohnBuckner

I do agree with you chuck on the quoting thing especally if its done repetedly in the same thread.
That to easily becomes a tool to attack someone with who may not be of the same opinion as yours and a method to discredit him.

While I do not agree with you on the points you were making out in the post above but thats ok we all got opinions. It did seem a little out of place in this thread.

Anyway looking forward to future conversation with you and Jester

John

Team Geritol

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM
jester_s1

I'm not here to put on a show for anybody, but if I manage to entertain you all in the process then so be it!

My only point was to say that the "teach yourself" route costs just as much money and is more difficult and takes longer than the "join a club" route. As long as a guy is safe and doesn't do anything to hurt the hobby's reputation I really don't care how he goes about it. But when a new guy asks about what to buy and how to get started in the hobby I'm going to give him the best answer that I know of. That answer is to get an experienced pilot to help you learn the basics of flight. Why so many guys are so vehemently opposed to learning from someone with more knowledge than them is beyond my ability to understand, but it's no skin off my nose if they want to go it alone and spend their money on multiple beginner aircraft as chucksolo69 has done.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Chuck,
 Nobody is trying to look down on guys who teach themselves. There are a lot of people that do successfully teach themselves to fly. And I fully applaud you in the fact that you did it. However, what you must understand is there are very legitimate reasons why the experienced modelers here usually recommend learning to fly at a club and not teaching themselves. 

While this list does not cover every reason it will give you a pretty good idea about what I am saying

[*]Many times a new modeler completely under estimates the danger involved in running the engines that are used on model airplanes. They recommend going to a club simply for the safety of the guy learning to fly.[*]Many times when a modeler tries to teach themselves to fly they wind up crashing and getting frustrated. Many will simply give up the hobby and never return to it. While if they had been at a club their chances of successfully learning to fly would have been greatly improved and they are more likely to stay in the hobby.[*]Public safety. Many times people that want to learn to fly on their own will totally under estimate the amount of room needed to fly an airplane. When this happens it's possible to see a crash that could endanger other people or property. First this can get the one flying the plane in a lot of trouble. Also, it can put the entire hobby in jeopardy in that community. It doesn't take much more than one incident to have a city council decide to outlaw model airplanes in a city limit (I've seen this happen). Another factor that comes into play on this item is the AMA. Your AMA membership will include liability insurance in the event that you to damage property or injure another persons. Now many people will say that AMA is only secondary insurance and home owners insurance will cover first. This is not always true as some people don't have home owners insurance so the AMA would be primary insurance, and not all home owners policies cover their model aircraft either.[/list]
    Anyway, you get where I am coming from. Nobody is trying to be hard nosed and say that everybody should go to a club and learn, but there are reasons why we recommend it. Yes, there are those out there that can teach themselves to fly. I've seen plenty of them. But I can also tell you that they are also the minority in the population. The larger majority of people aren't able to teach themselves and need something such as a club to learn to fly.

As I said, I'm not trying to start an argument here. But rather just trying to show you where they may be coming from in their recommendations.

Ken
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Chucksolo69

Jester, no one is disputing your views, I just took exception to your singling me out. Just live and let live man. That's all. I understand all that Ken. Where we fly, it is basically abandoned and we are all AMA members. It just seems that most of the club/instructors here seem to think that every self taught guy is out there doing something illegal or unsafe. That just isn't the case. There are exceptions and I acknowledge that. I have never tried to discourage ANYONE from joining a club or getting an instructor. I merely said it isn't for me. Then jester comes along and starts singling me out. There is NO need for that. Can I afford to destroy a plane and just buy a new one.....yes....I can thank my college education and a great job for that. Who cares how much money I spend on aircraft or if I choose to give it to a club or not................it is no one's business but mine. And again, I would not have answered had I not been singled out personally.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69
ctually, I would never have written the response to jester had he not mentioned me by name. Like I said, folks are different. If the newbie pilot feels he/she needs club instruction, then great, more power to them and I support that wholeheartedly. I just take exception to the unwavering way of thinking that everyone wants or even needs intstruction. I have sinced maidened a full 4 channel plane successfully and I continue to advance in this hobby. As to the Cessna, I have a couple of friends who have the Cessna 182 Skylane and the Cessna 350 Corvaliss and both fly fine. None of those folks have ever had formal instruction.
Please accept this as constructive criticism.

Actually, Jester does make a good point. I don't think he is trying to make you look bad, he is pointing out an issue that is applicable to this thread.

I owned three planes in my first two years of flying. Of those three, one crashed because I was inexperienced and flew it in conditions I was not yet familiar with. Overall, since I have been flying, I have crashed a total of four planes. One was one of those SPADs - not even worth mentioning because it was my first and last S.P.A.D. the others were a matter of getting behind the plane, reactions to flight were not up to par and I crashed them. One was because I forgot to raise the antenna on a 72 MHz system. NONE were due to lack of proper training, short of my attempting to fly beyond my experience level.

A huge majority of pilots have been trained by instructors and followed what we (a rather large majority of instructors) think of as the best approach to flying RC. Like it or not, it has been proven to be the best route.

Self taught is marginally successful. Some make it, a majority do not. If that list you have is a list of planes crashed, well, the point is well made.

The established training method works. Period.

CGr.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Chucksolo69

No, I understand fully. Have you guys ever thought that I bought the 3 channel planes simply because I like them? I like the way the HZ Super Cub flies. I like the way the twin engines sound on the FB Stratos and I can take the Champ just about anwhere and fly it. I recently bought an Ares Gamma 370 because it can be upgraded to an aileron wing and brushless for a song. I know guys who fly warbirds with 7 channels including flaps and retracts, but, almost all of them still like flying their Super Cubs and Slow Stiks. Yes, we are park flyers, so what? We like foamies, so what? We can all repair and install components. It's great that the club/instructor thing is proven. Well, a lot of us have also proven that you don't need formal instruction or a club to enjoy the hobby. We fly these planes because most of the time it is a relaxing rewarding experience. And then some guy comes along and criticizes the fact that I have 3 beginner planes. Wow, SO WHAT? Another criticizes guys who like Cessna foamies. Again, SO WHAT? If you want to spend weeks or months building a plane, then great, enjoy the experience. Just because we are "park flyers" doensn't make us enjoy this hobby any less...............right? Some of us don't want to build. Why does that offend you? It's like the car guys criticizing the folks who buy RTRs. We're all in this hobby together. Everytime I buy a plane I help the hobby stay alive. I don't need criticism from anyone to tell me how I am doing it "wrong." You guys do it your way, we'll do it ours. I don't mind being in the minority at all. Flying a model airplane is like anything else, it can be mastered. It isn't rocket science. Bummer to those that think it is.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
jester_s1

Chuck, if it helps your feelings at all, I only mentioned your name because you outlined in your post the route I wanted to steer the new guy away from- the hardest and most expensive route. My focus and critique was on what you were doing, not on you personally. If I had meant to attack you, I would have called you a dummy or goofball or unsafe pilot or scrub, or any number of other derogatory words and then held you up as an example of a bad hobbyist. But that's not what I meant to do and it's not what I did. I critiqued the actions that you clearly described, no more and no less. As I said above, as long as you're safe and don't hurt the reputation of the hobby (thanks very much for that clear explanation RCKen) then I say have at it any way you want to. But whenever a new pilot looks for advice, don't be surprised if I once again steer them a different route than you've gone because the self-taught road is the most difficult, most expensive, and most likely to result in a bad experience either for the pilot or an innocent bystander.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM
afmedic911

Visited my local hobby shop today, they recomended the Flyzone Cessna RTF for $229.99, or the Flyzone Piper Cub RTF for $199.99. Very helpful, and not pushy at all. Meet a few guys at the local flying clubs, and they offered me free instruction with a buddy box setup. No risks involved, just come out to the club and fly their planes. I thought that was very cool!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: afmedic911

Meet a few guys at the local flying clubs, and they offered me free instruction with a buddy box setup. No risks involved, just come out to the club and fly their planes. I thought that was very cool!

Great afm I am sure you find that a very positive experiance at the club and will be looking foreward to hearing of your adventures[8D]

John
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM
jester_s1

That's how a beginner's experience with the hobby should be. My club was that way and other hobbies have been the same way too. Most of us want to share what we knw and help someone else enjoy the hobby like we do. Few of us will put up with attitude, but nearly all of us will help you if you make friends and come across as willing to listen and learn.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Good job medic, welcome.
Hey chuck if a newby shows up at your park w a 60 size glow Yak and ask you for instructions would you teach him?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 AM
CGRetired

Only on a buddy box.

CGr
Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Unless you live in a place with no wind whatsoever don't start with a cheap trainer.  Cheap implies foamie and foamies are light and get tossed aorund by the wind so bad you will have a hard time learning.  It has been said in the forums many times you should start with a 40 or 60 size plane.  This hobby is not cheap.  It can be inexpensive with the right help, as from a club, but it is not cheap.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:49 AM
jester_s1

I hooked up with a 21 year old idiot a couple of months ago who had bought a cheap foamy Cessna. He wanted me to help him get it set up and show him how to fly it. I figured I'll teach guys on whatever they have, even though I'd rather they ask what to buy before they spend their money, but whatever. It was a Redcat Cessna and it turned out it had a defective radio and wouldn't bind. I found him selling it on Craigslist the next day. I know it was him because I recognized the phone number on the ad. I talked with him about what brands are quality and what he really should get if he wants a successful start in the hobby. Then he texted me and said he'd bought a HZ Champ. I told him that's a neat plane but he still needed to get some instruction. He said he was pretty sure he knew how to handle it, even though he had never had stick time or any instruction. But he had read about flying on the internet so he would be fine. I told him he still needed an experienced pilot to get the plane trimmed out and show him how to takeoff and land. He called me back about 2 hours later to tell me he had flown the plane and he must be one of those rare people who have natural talent at the hobby because he didn't crash it. I said "good job." About two weeks later the Champ was on Craigslist too with multiple breaks in the wing that were glued and taped up, a broken stab, and a beat up nose. So much for natural talent. I estimate he's spent about $300 so far and has nothing to show for it. He could have saved his pennies for another month or two and used that money to buy a balsa trainer and join our club and actually would be a budding pilot by now.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: afmedic911

I want to get a Cessna 182 as my first ''real'' RC aircraft. Any recomendations by anyone on were to purchase and what manufacurer? I'm looking to a ARF, electric, EPO. Thank you.

Tim
GP sells an ARF of this airplane for $250 USD. It has enough wing area to make an excellent trainer and you will be pleased by the way it flies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.