Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM
willsavagexl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Hey guys, im new to this hobby, 3 weeks ago i bought a supercub lp it flies great but its getting too slow and easy for me!
i found these really nice planes, i say the cessna corvalis 350 rtf by flyzone and the apprentice 15e i think i like better the corvalis.

my question is is this a good plane?, does these items fit on the plane?-http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2650-3s1p-40c-3333.html http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyp-1003-propeller.html

im probly gonna buy the corvalis 350 rtf so i know the connecters for the battery of the ski lipo the plane and the battery that comes with the kit are not all the same so what would be the solution.

with this plane i will be landing on gravel and on grass only if it is an emergency landing, will the battery 2650mah 40c be good and fit?

Also i will buy this charger,http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-balancecharger-6200.html i dont have a powersupply i will run it on a car battery, will it be fine? and can i charger more than one battery at the same time and what would be the settings to charge the battery? i really dont know anything about lipos.

im new to this hobby and i realy like it!

thanks alot!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Try here: GettingAirborne.com
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
willsavagexl

thank you, i read the whole thing, i just need more info now on the things i wrote above,
thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 PM
SeamusG

I have no experience with park flyers nor electric powered stuff. So, let's hope the experts chime in.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the Apprentice a good plane? Yes it is. But if the Super Cub is too slow and docile to get you excited you may be disappointed with it. The E-flight Mini Ultra Stick is much more maneuverable and can be very tame with small throws or absolutely crazy with big throws.

The manual should tell you what props work best. They are usually available for download online from the vendor of the plane. The same is true for battery selection. More mah means more weight, so don't be tempted to go extra big to get more flight time.

Connectors can be changed if you know how to solder (a skill every RC'er needs). If not, adapters are available for most connector types.

For chargers, I'd recommend this one instead [link=http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=1873]Diamond AC/DC charger[/link]. It will run on standard household current or your car battery. It also cycles any battery you'll ever use which is the only reliable way to test battery condition. Charge settings are based on what the battery manufacturer says the battery can handle and the amount of current your charger can put out. Most of us charge Lipo's at 1C, which for a 2500 mah means 2.5 amps of current.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: willsavagexl

Hey guys, im new to this hobby, 3 weeks ago i bought a supercub lp it flies great but its getting too slow and easy for me!
i found these really nice planes, i say the cessna corvalis 350 rtf by flyzone and the apprentice 15e i think i like better the corvalis.

my question is is this a good plane?, does these items fit on the plane?-http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2650-3s1p-40c-3333.html http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyp-1003-propeller.html

im probly gonna buy the corvalis 350 rtf so i know the connecters for the battery of the ski lipo the plane and the battery that comes with the kit are not all the same so what would be the solution.

with this plane i will be landing on gravel and on grass only if it is an emergency landing, will the battery 2650mah 40c be good and fit?

Also i will buy this charger, http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-balancecharger-6200.html i dont have a powersupply i will run it on a car battery, will it be fine? and can i charger more than one battery at the same time and what would be the settings to charge the battery? i really dont know anything about lipos.

im new to this hobby and i realy like it!

thanks alot!
The corvalis is pretty nice (not my favorite mine has a problem , most people love it)

I'm gonna say the 2650 is going to be nose heavy unless you cut some foam to move it back. A 2200 might be a better choice because it is lighter and still plenty big. It comes with an 1800 , right?

Even though the connectors on the supertigre esc and the sky lipo look identical , they will not fit each other. You'll have to decide on a standard connector that you like and then install them yourself or use adapters , ect.

If the gravel is very smooth and fine or the grass is smooth and very short it will land ok.

The charger will work fine and will charge more than one lipo if the packs contain the same number of (series) cells. Best to just start with one at a time though at around 2-3 amps.

Congrats on the supercub flying, you are fast learner it seems.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Corvalis and kept it completely stock. It's a nice looking plane. One of the moderators did a review of the plane and posted it here on RCU. I have not yet flown mine, but intend to do so very soon.

It went together very easily and seems to have adequate power with what came with it. The video I saw, I believe it was in the review, looked like it had good power so I'll leave it alone. But, I do have a few "spare" motors that I can replace the original one with if I'm not happy with it.

CGr.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM
willsavagexl

thanks everyone for helping, its very appreciated,

i would of taken the 2200mah battery but it is out of stock on hobbypartz.com and the sky lipos are very cheap and good i heard, so the next one that would fit is the 2650 mah but it is 55grams heavier than the 2200mah battery and it is 100grams heavier than the stock battery :O

will the exi 9-5 prob be good and fit? i found these connecters, these have both female and male connecters the the package? -http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10225-short.html

also i have the supercubs float, i wanted to know if they were long enough for the corvalis and if it is easy to make a bracket to make them fit?

thanks
willsavagexl
Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 AM
guver

The corvalis seems to have plenty of power and maybe you can just add some tail weight if you have to OR move the esc and cut the back of the battery compartment to allow you to push the pack back. If it isn't too bad you may like to start out with it a touch nose heavy anyways until you get used to it. I use 170 gram 2.2 pack and is shoved all the way back. It's nose heavy , but that's the way I've flown it a dozen times or so.

I'm ready to move mine back and maybe it will act better at inverted flight then.

Those connectors should work fine and look like the ones that come on the sky lipos (not the same as what's on the esc though)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM
willsavagexl

ok thank you so if i dont want it to be nose heavy im better leaving the batteries 1800mah, is there a good difference between 1800mah-2200mah and 2650 mah?

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 AM
guver

You mean in weight? going by the figures you listed that's a lot of difference.

If you mean flight time then theoretically IF the 1800 lasts 9 minutes then the others would last 11 minutes and 13 minutes (other than being heavier) It may be more like 9 , 10 , 12 minutes. I fly my 2200 pack for about 13 minutes.

I'd start out with whichever pack gets you the correct CG and then go from there.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM
willsavagexl

ok thank you, what brand is your 2200 lipo and will this prop fit the corvalis ?http://www.hobbypartz.com/dy93blpr.html because if i buy the 2650 mah one how can i add weight to the back for it to be not nose heavy neither tail heavy just perfect?

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 AM
guver

That's too much prop since it is a 3 blade prop. The corvalis comes with a 9x5 2 blade prop in the box. You'll want a 9x5 2 blade prop.

My 2.2 pack is a real cheap Polyrc that's a bit longer than most 2.2 packs. I'm sure that nearly ANY 2200 pack will fit in there. The manual describes how to check the CG and probably tells to glue some weight back by the tail (maybe on the side of the fuse) I always prefer to move the battery to get my CG correct because I don't like adding weight.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 AM
willsavagexl

ok thank you so i will probly buy the 2650 unless the 2200 come back in stock real soon, also ive been looking at the aluminum spinners which one should i chose, that fits?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alumspin.html

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM
guver

The stock spinner is 41 mm or 1.625 inch. sorry I don't know if it is a hex or what. I've never had mine apart.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
willsavagexl

ok thank you and i will buy these batteries,http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1800-3s1p-30c-3333.html , i usually time my self when flying because the supercub lp when the battery gets to low the motor stops but the rudder and the thing to go up and down works, what would be the flight time with this battery? will it be around the same for the stock one?

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM
guver

It depends on the type of flying you do. Maybe average of 9-10 minutes? It should be the same as the stock 1800 pack. If you're stopping before the motor quits then you're doing it right. The pack should have at least 11 volts when done flying. I think you'll like the corvalis.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You've already gotten a couple of responses that say the 2650 is too heavy. Why do you still want to use one? CG is only 1/2 of the weight conundrum with your plane. Overall weight is the other. You're going to add an extra 100 grams up front which means probably 20 extra grams on the back. The flyzone website says the stock weight is 1020 grams ready to fly, so you're talking about roughly a 12% weight gain. That's going to substantially change the flight characteristics, most notably the slow speed flying traits. It is very easy to turn a well-mannered predictable plane into an ornery lead sled by packing on the weight. I'm going to suggest that you just fly the plane as it is to see how you like it. Fly it before you buy any more batteries or props or anything. If it's predictable and well-mannered, then don't mess with it. Get some more batteries that are the same weight as stock and some more of the same props.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
willsavagexl

yea the link above was the 1800 mah not the 2650 but is the corvaliss like the apprentice 15e, like can i go really far with it do back flips and stuff? i see videos on youtube of the apprentice 15e going 2000ft straight up in the sky can the corvalis do this? also speed wise is the corvalis faster?

thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

"thing to go up and down" that thing is called elevators[:'(]
Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
willsavagexl

ahahah thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: willsavagexl

yea the link above was the 1800 mah not the 2650 but is the corvaliss like the apprentice 15e, like can i go really far with it do back flips and stuff? i see videos on youtube of the apprentice 15e going 2000ft straight up in the sky can the corvalis do this? also speed wise is the corvalis faster?

thanks
Idoubt it. But it would be out-of-sight by then and hard to judge attitude. 600 ft is pretty darned high. 400 ft is usually plenty for any maneuver or sequence. Otherwise it looks to be more aerobatically capablethan the Apprentice; thoughI'm not familiar with either. Also note that a Park Flyer transmitter/receiver usually is limited to 1,000 ft in most directions (including up).
Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 AM
willsavagexl

look at this video the guy has it all stock i think? :O[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcl3in7c4dw[/youtube]
do you think the tactic 2.4 is a good tx and that it can go far?

thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 AM
ncsky

Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but I started with Super Cub, and now have moved to the Parkzone T-28. It is a fantastic plane (faster, much more aerobatic). If you haven't bought
a new plane yet you may want to take a look at it as a second plane.

Either way good luck with all of your upcoming flying
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Idon't know about Canada, but here in the US we would probably get busted by the FAA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.