Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spinner nut falls off

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spinner nut falls off

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 AM
bob8619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spinner nut falls off

Is using the first nut and then tightening a spinner nut down onto the first nut just as good as the jam nut?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

By definition that would be a jam nut.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
As we have said. No jam nut is needed if you tighten the nut firmly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62615.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1785411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65944.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1785412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56293.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1785413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68162.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1785414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22576.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1785415  
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Villa

Hi 52larry52
You certainly are very familiar with Loctite. I too have been using it for about 40 years. The reason I would NEVER use it on the prop nut threads is this: When you are loosening the prop nut, with Loctite on it, using a proper wrench, you hold the prop with one hand, and turn the nut CCW with the other hand. Now, let us say that the nut is now a little loose, and the prop is also loose and starts to slip on the shaft. You are in a situation in which you cannot prevent the shaft from turning so you can unscrew the nut. The compression of the engine is not enough to prevent the shaft from turning so you can unscrew the nut. Do you believe that all of this is possible?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Villa, Yes you are absolutely correct, this situtation can occur. This is more likley to happen if too much loctite is used. I accept this possibility as a trade off for the prop comming off. If you are intending to do a lot of prop changes at the field then go EZ on the loctite or skip it untill you have selected the proper prop for the plane in question. I don't do a lot of prop swaping at the field and don't break props very often but if I do break a prop and can't get the nut off with hand tools (I won't grab the drive washer with pliers and chew it all up) I just switch to flying a different plane and take the problum home. Back at the shop one quick hit with an electric inpact gun will always spin the nut right off. We don't have electric at my field and I don't carry an impact gun so it does require retiring that plane for the day if you get in that bind. It dosen't happen much. For me, the fact that the nut resists comming off some times even with proper hand tools, proves that the loctite is doing something and will perhaps save you from a prop comming off in use. It's true, in theory as stated by others just "correct torque on the nut is all you need, no loctite is required" but in the real world that dosen't always work....STUFF happens! That is why there is saftey wire, lock washers, nylock nuts, jam nuts, castelated nuts with drilled bolts and cotter pins, loctite, etc. I believe in two means of securing any hardware. Just making sure.... It's up to the builder to decide.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
jester_s1

Do the hobby like you want Larry, but I think you just summarized a strong case against using loctite on prop nuts. There's no benefit aside from feeling like you've done something and lots of negatives.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM
52larry52

As my last statement says " it's up to the builder to decide". You have decided to not use it and that's fine, I do use it and accept the potential to have a stuborn prop nut. On the rare chance that I can't get a prop replaced at the field, it's not a big deal for me to have to put that plane back in the truck for the day as I always bring more that one plane to the field. Not much down side for me, just hit it with the impact when I get home. Question for you jester s1... If I am just "feeling like I have done something" then why is the nut not comming off easily???
Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Villa

Hi 52larry52
I'm glad you took my suggestion in a positive way. Some people just "blow up" and show what little people they are. Here is an interesting, personal story about Loctite. The plant I worked at manufactured air compressors and large diesel engine. I believe we started using Loctite around 1965 or so. Large units, compressors or engines, were sold to include a service man to supervise installation and start up. I believe an engine was to be installed in India. The serviceman wanted some Loctite to take with him, but all we had was very large bottles, like 1/2 quart, in our shop. Well, the serviceman got a glass prescription bottle and filled it with Loctite and flew off to India. When he got there and needed the Loctite, he found the Loctite had turned into a solid in the glass bottle. That is when we realized that Loctite hardens in the absence of oxygen. Before that we had read that it does that, but it did not sink in.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
52larry52

Villa, Good story. A 1/2 quart of loctite at todays prices by my quick estimate would be worth about $330.00. I've never seen it in that large a quanity. I too was first introduced to loctite in the mid 60's by some sports car racers that I started to crew for. A couple of years later I went to work for CNC machine tool manufacturer where I learned the industrial applications for loctite's various products. It's a valuable product when correctly used in knowledgeable hands and the source of a lot of misinformation by the general public back then and still today. Your point was valid and as such I tried to explain how I delt with complication of not being able to change a prop on the rare occurance you described. As always in this hobby we all have different priorities and various methods to solve problums. One size does not fit all. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
jester_s1

ORIGINAL: 52larry52
Question for you jester s1... If I am just ''feeling like I have done something'' then why is the nut not comming off easily???
It's not coming off because you tighten it enough, same as mine.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

use a box end wrench or at least a big pair of pliers to torque the nut down hard.  
Never use pliers on a prop nut. Borrow proper 6- or 12-point wrenches from someone better prepared, and make a mental note to bring dedicated prop wrenches for every plane you take to the field.

No on the Loctite products, also. Maybe look into a gym membership , or have the aforementioned better-prepared flying buddy do it for you. No engine manufacturer I'm aware of recommends using liquid 'helpers'. Do you loctite your car's lugnuts? Same idea.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 PM
jester_s1

I've gotten stuck for that comment enough times that I won't do it again! Agreed 100% that a proper wrench is the way to go. My point was that if a pilot isn't going to invest in wrenches or simply doesn't have one handy and plans to fly, the little 4 way wrenches aren't going to get the job done while a pair of channel locks or vise grips will. Yes, they will chew up the nut, and yes, after 15-20 times of using them the nut will probably need to be replaced, but they will work in a pinch to get it tight enough. It's not the right way, but it is a way that will work.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
52larry52

Jester s1, I think we've "beaten this horse to death"! I'am done if you are. I promise not to use pliers on my prop nuts if you promise not to use loctite on your prop nuts!!! LOL Just yanking your chain on that one, I think we have to agree to disagree on this one in the context of it being builder's choice. To "goo (loctite) or not to goo" that is the question. Have a good day.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 AM
jester_s1

You have one too.