Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RX antenna routing ?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RX antenna routing ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
reelquick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX antenna routing ?

Trying to fish through the fuse, would i be better off going through the side of fuse to the tail to leave more antenna exposed ?
Thank`s.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: RX antenna routing ?

Reelquick..

Based upon the way you worded your question, I am Assuming that you are using a 72mHz system, and not a 2.4gHz system.. If you are indeed using a 72mHz system, people have been flying for years with the antenna running through the Fuse, with it dangling out the back..  As long as the Fuse is not made of Carbon fiber or wrapped in a Metallic type of Iron on covering that might interfere with the antennas reception..  as always tho, do a range check with the antenna down! from several areas around the aircraft to make sure your reception is good..

Craig.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
GaryHarris

For 72 mHz I always glued pieces of fuel tubing or something about 1" long and routed the antennae along the underside of the fuse.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: SeaJay

Reelquick..

Based upon the way you worded your question, I am Assuming that you are using a 72mHz system, and not a 2.4gHz system.. If you are indeed using a 72mHz system, people have been flying for years with the antenna running through the Fuse, with it dangling out the back.. As long as the Fuse is not made of Carbon fiber or wrapped in a Metallic type of Iron on covering that might interfere with the antennas reception.. as always tho, do a range check with the antenna down! from several areas around the aircraft to make sure your reception is good..

Craig.
[/quot

Good advise here. If you have metalic pushrods, you will want to stay away from those as well. Usually 2" as a minimum

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
reelquick

OK ! Just what I was thinking. It worked back then ?
Rebuilding a 20 year old(brand new trainer) aircraft and an old tower 4 channel radio. Nothing fancy at all.
Last step and a handful of 64 rubber bands ! Thanks again guy`s!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68642.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	1785237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75253.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1785238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62015.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1785239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91486.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1785240  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM
JohnBuckner

On your #64's you will probably want more than just a handful. The typical forty sized trainer will need ten to twelve bands.

John
Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the antena thorugh an inner nyrod or similar inside the fuse.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trainer: just out from the wing saddle and out to two small hole I drill into the stab, lace it through the two holes. I don't think there is a wrong way in a trainer.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
JohnBuckner

Like GB says there are as many different ways to do this as there are flyers although the numbers are getting smaller now with 2.4 and our memories do tend to fade.

I would recomend especially on a trainer that you do route the antenna through a short piece of fuel line about an inch long and out a small hole in the bottom of the airplane. All the way to the rear where you simply loop that rubber band I illustrated in the photos and how to attach it to the antenna wire. In that photo I just looped the band over the tailwheel but for your trainer you simply push a dressmakers pin into the rear of the fuselage for the tension rubber band.

The fuel line is the abrasion protection out the hole that gary harris suggested and it provides the tension aginst the rubber band to keep the antenna tight aginst the fuselage bottom. Doing the clove hitch with the rubber band as I have shown in the pictures will not damage the antenna as some other old methods most certainly will. One of which was looping the antenna through a cutoff chunk of servo arm to provide a place to attach. I used to cringe every time I saw this as it can and will compromise a antenna.

I did get into the habit of using outside antennas along the bottom since for many years I have only used carbon fibre pushrods.

The reason I hate to see antennas run out a hole in the side under the wing saddle and the antenna stretched out to the tip of the vertical or horizontal stabiliser is it will constantly be in danger of damage from People even including you. With that exposed wire out there you will be amazed at how often you and you buddies will be kicking it accidently. Ripped out antennas from this kind of 'Hanger Rash' when antennas are used this way is and was very common.

There is no radio performance advantage at all over the fuselage mounted antenna either internal or external along the bottom.

John
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you really want to make it pretty take a 3/4 inch wide piece of that covering and lay it over the wire, then iron it down 1/4 inch or so on each side. It will protect and hide your antenna but will come off easily enough if you ever need to remove it.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 AM
CGRetired

One point not clearly covered here is that if you do run the antenna through a tube within the fuselage, don't just pull it through and leave it. Make sure you have some sort of "strain relief" or some sort of method of keeping the antenna from snaking back into the fuselage. This can and will happen if you don't put something on the end of the antenna wire to prevent it from going back in. This is caused by vibration.

If it does snake back, it will most likely ball up and you will lose the radio signal from the transmitter and most likely will have an accident.

CGr.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM
reelquick

Rubber band with the T pin OK ?
Thanks for all the input fella`s .
When I show up at the field I wanna get the A-OK to go.
I am triple checking every thing as I do with the Helli and seen to find something that could be better.....And I adjust to make it worry free.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
CGRetired

Yeah. Anything that will keep it straight and from snaking back into the fuselage will work just fine. Heck, if the amount of antenna sticking out at the rear of the fuselage isn't that long, you can put a wad of hot-glue. That peels right off when you need it to.

On one plane that I was operating at 72 MHz, I streched the antenna along the bottom of the fuselage, held it in place with small pieces of tape, and ran a strip of covering to match the bottom along over the antenna wire and adhered it along side both sides of the wire with a covering iron.

It didn't show and worked just fine.

CGr.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
JohnBuckner

Yes any kind of pin will work. Its just something to stretch the band a bit and hook to. I said dressmakers pins because they have that little plastic ball and are unobtrusive.

I know you want everything right when you go to the field but do not depend just on these forums. They can in noway substitute for first hand inspection Please get someone at the field to look the airplane over also.

John