Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Guy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
wayfastf150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy

Hey guys, I'm new here. I was very big into R/C when Iwas a kid (only built planes, I never flew them after), Idid build and run .15 cars. I dug up a old PT-40 that is about 95% finished by my dad and I when I was around 9 or 10. Ihave mildly gotten bit by the bug again and just bought a used easy sport 40. I found my never used Futaba Skyport 4 radio from my grandfathers basement and brought the new rig out to a good friends dads farm, which has runway for Cessnas and other "big" planes. Not smart going out for the first time without a instructor, but I was out towards the other end of a 100 acre farm with nothing around me to hit so Ifigured worst case Iwould be picking up balsa. I got a lap around, then crashed it pretty gentle when I went to land (broke the prop). I am about to join my local flying club Ijust want to go meet a few of the guys and feel it out before I do. I was just on the tower website it looks like there isn't a huge selection anymore? Iremember getting their catalogs and seeing atliest 20 .40 sized trainers and pages full of scale and sport planes, plus a lot of engine options. Is the hobby down sizing or am I just into old technology?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: New Guy

Economics and competition from cheap Chinese knock offs has caused many companies like Tower to slim down their product line and offer only the best selling products. Same thing that happened with GM cars,  you used to be able to buy Buicks, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, and Chevy's, now you have a smaller selection of the most marketable items.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There are more distributors now so there probably as many as there ever were. There aren't nearly as many kits as there were 15 years ago as the market has gone to ARF's. The hobby is easier to do now that it ever has been and cheaper too. Work with an instructor at your new club and you'll do fine.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Welcome to the drug that is RC Aeromodeling!!.. I remember not too long ago I got bit by the bug!!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Steve Steinbring

Good advice in joining a club and having an instructor! It will save you a lot of time becoming a proficient pilot and make the hobby more fun.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
wayfastf150

Getting into a club is definitely on the to do list.  The reason I ended up with a PT-40 in the first place was because the guy who owned the hobby shop I use to go to was a instructor and was going to teach me to fly after I finished it and told me it was the best trainer at the time.  I found out about 6 months ago he passed away and the shop closed. The $60 to join the AMA plus $103 club fee for a year is a lot cheaper than buying a new model.  I did alright keeping it in the air, but not so well landing.  You guys think playing with the nitro cars for so long will help speed up the learning curve?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It will help in the sense that you are used to holding a transmitter that controls something moving far away from you, and will help some on the reversed right/left orientation. But the real skill in flying is knowing how to plane is going to respond to both your inputs and the air around it. There is a 3D world in front of you and it takes time to start working in it.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 AM
im_a_rcav8r

Welcome!

I think part of the limited selection in trainers is simply that a basic trainer is, well, it is what it is.  Having 20 trainers just creates confusion and competition.  For the most part you will find only one real trainer from each manufacturer who makes trainers. 

Many planes can be used as trainers like the Cadet and Cadet Sr. or the Telemaster.  With the control surface rates turned down, I once used my Ultra Sport as a trainer to teach a good friend of mine to fly.

For the most part, any plane with dihedral in the wing, light wing loading (so it will fly slowly), and predictable flight characteristics can be used as a trainer.

Tower was once the only place to go on the web for mail order R/C planes, but now there are thousands of places to choose from. 

If you have a local hobby shop, be sure to check with them too, many shops will compete with Tower and you may save on shipping that way.  Even if you have to pay a few extra dollars it is wise to support your local hobby shop because some day you will want to fly and need a simple $1.00 part.  If all the local shops are gone, that $1.00 part keeps you grounded for a week plus $5.00 in shipping fees.

You get the point.

Good Luck to you!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 AM
carrellh

This thread in the 'Kit Building' forum has links to many kit suppliers
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8132568