Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maiden my Escapade...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maiden my Escapade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM
tness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maiden my Escapade...

Hello everyone.

I'm getting ready this weekend to maiden my Escapade. I have it balanced, everything checked out, all of the throws correct, etc. I have to say, I crashed my Kaos do to equipment malfunction the last time I flew, so I'm a bit gun shy here. I bought my Kaos from someone else at the club, so it had already been flown many times before I started flying it a year and a half ago. This will be the first time I maidened an aircraft(save for the foamy park fliers I've flown in the past), and coming off of my first major crash, I'm a bit nervous.

Anyone have any tips, ideas, etc. for me to do to have a successful maiden flight? I know the obvious; just take it up and fly it gently until you get used to it, etc. One of the old guys in our club who doesn't fly anymore for health reasons(he's the one who taught me to fly) used to say put a little up elevator trim in it because you can always take that out easier than when you have to put it in to keep it in the air. Just curious as to what you all do to have successful maiden flights.

Thanks.

Tarry.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: Maiden my Escapade...

Have someone stand next to you, in case you
need trim input. Things happen in a hurry ,should
it need a lot of trim.

Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was new at this I would begin with taxiing.  Speeding up each pass (into the wind) until the model would just get airborne and then throttling down.  Once I was satisfied it was trimmed for level flight I would take it up.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
koastrc

All I know for sure tness is mine is small, easy to haul about, and fun to fly. I fly mind on Glow. What about you? Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
my05monte

Make sure you have the throws and expo set right. When I maidened my Saratoga last year I was all over the sky. My instructor was there at the field and saw me having trouble but let me "learn". I have the 60 size Escapade that I'll hopefully maiden next week and the one thing I know is.... Throws and expo, set them low
Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
reelquick

I see your in Pa. and I am about to make the jump to planes.
Witch club are you with ?
Good luck, just curious.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM
tness

I am in Red Lion, PA. I fly with the Wing Dingers. We're about 3 miles south of York, PA.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
tness

ORIGINAL: my05monte

Make sure you have the throws and expo set right. When I maidened my Saratoga last year I was all over the sky. My instructor was there at the field and saw me having trouble but let me ''learn''. I have the 60 size Escapade that I'll hopefully maiden next week and the one thing I know is.... Throws and expo, set them low

Yeah, def. planning on setting them at what the instruction manual says. I generally don't fly with expo yet, since I've haven't flown any really, really aerobatic planes. I didn't have any set on my Kaos that I flew for a year. The throws will be set according to the book. Don't need to make any mistakes there. I already lost one plane due to a bad Tx battery, so I made sure that all of that equipment is new.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You did not mention if it is glow or electic, if it is glow, is it a new engine? If so is it broken in properly? This is another factor that should be considered, I fly glow, so if it is a new engine it gets broken in before going up, dont know your skill level but even when you have flown for years you can get a case of the nerves, so it is a good idea like previously mentioned to have someone stand next to you that is a proficient flyer to hand the transmitter to in case the shaking gets too bad! other than that, go out with a bucket load of confidence and fly that plane like its been in the air for years, good luck too! I have a .60 size escapade that needs to be put together also, new home for the .91 magnum f.s. I had sitting around. Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
GaryHarris

Take four 2x4's about 24" long depending on your inseam measurement, and a roll of duct tape. Before you take off, duct tape those 2x4's to the inside and outside on your legs centered at the knees.

That should help with that "Leg Shake".

Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM
tness

ORIGINAL: biam

You did not mention if it is glow or electic, if it is glow, is it a new engine? If so is it broken in properly? This is another factor that should be considered, I fly glow, so if it is a new engine it gets broken in before going up, dont know your skill level but even when you have flown for years you can get a case of the nerves, so it is a good idea like previously mentioned to have someone stand next to you that is a proficient flyer to hand the transmitter to in case the shaking gets too bad! other than that, go out with a bucket load of confidence and fly that plane like its been in the air for years, good luck too! I have a .60 size escapade that needs to be put together also, new home for the .91 magnum f.s. I had sitting around. Let us know how it goes!
The engine is off of my Kaos that crashed in April, and it an OS 46 circa 1990's...very broke in! Don't have that to worry about. I put it in and already ran it for about 15 minutes to make sure there wasn't any damage to it during the crash. Ran fine, just like when it was in the Kaos. One of our more experienced club members will be there to help me out, so I think I have all the bases covered. I get nervous anyway when I fly, so I'm considering taking my trainer along out to fly that FIRST since I haven't had anything in the air since April. RealFlight just isn't the same as the real thing!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
tness

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Take four 2x4's about 24'' long depending on your inseam measurement, and a roll of duct tape. Before you take off, duct tape those 2x4's to the inside and outside on your legs centered at the knees.

That should help with that ''Leg Shake''.

That is great idea! Maybe I'll use rebar sections instead...they won't break as easily
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would say to take that trainer out and get acquainted to flying again. When I maidened my second escapade a few weeks ago I put a similar designed plane up. This helped two fold. I got some more stick time right before the maiden with a plane I am comfortable with. It also helped me to remeber what an escapade should feel like. Ialso have a friend or 3 stand near me and be there just incase I am fighting for level they can hit the trims. It is all about the preflight though. I always go over every detail 20 million times prior to the flight. I would hate to lose a brand new airframe due to a stupid goof up in setup. I also have taken to going over others airplanes before I fly them. Ihave been asked to maiden others planes and done it but I check and recheck every surface and weak point I can find. The escapade is a great plane. I have owned 2 first was a glow this new one is electric. I have also taught 2 people to fly off their own escapades. If set up right they are docile and easy to fly.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
tness

ORIGINAL: thebest_102

I would say to take that trainer out and get acquainted to flying again. When I maidened my second escapade a few weeks ago I put a similar designed plane up. This helped two fold. I got some more stick time right before the maiden with a plane I am comfortable with. It also helped me to remeber what an escapade should feel like. I also have a friend or 3 stand near me and be there just incase I am fighting for level they can hit the trims. It is all about the preflight though. I always go over every detail 20 million times prior to the flight. I would hate to lose a brand new airframe due to a stupid goof up in setup. I also have taken to going over others airplanes before I fly them. I have been asked to maiden others planes and done it but I check and recheck every surface and weak point I can find. The escapade is a great plane. I have owned 2 first was a glow this new one is electric. I have also taught 2 people to fly off their own escapades. If set up right they are docile and easy to fly.
I shall take heed to your information! I do plan on going over everything tomorrow evening to check and double check. I even borrowed a friend's 12V to 110V convertor for in my car on Saturday so that after flying the trainer, if batteries aren't looking up to par, I'll put a charge on them. I lost my Kaos when I went to the field the last weekend in April. It was cold and damp, and I was cooking, etc. for our fun fly, and my equipment sat from 7 until 1 in the cold and damp, when I decided I had time to fly. The batteries showed good, but when they were in the air for about 5 mins, they died a quick death. They were kind of old. Not taking any chances any more...I loved that Kaos.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: tness

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Take four 2x4's about 24'' long depending on your inseam measurement, and a roll of duct tape. Before you take off, duct tape those 2x4's to the inside and outside on your legs centered at the knees.

That should help with that ''Leg Shake''.

That is great idea! Maybe I'll use rebar sections instead...they won't break as easily

My legs always shakes. []

Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I have a great idea. I will assure you 100% you are not going to crash this plane.
GET THE BEST PILOT IN YOUR CLUB TO MAIDEN HER FOR YOU[8D]
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club has a couple of designated flight test pilots that are supposed to checkout and maiden new planes for the club members. I have had most of my planes maidened by these guys and it saved my planes more than once. Check and see if your club is set up that way.

The Escapade is a great airplane, but can get very fast if you don't throttle back.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM
mustangman177

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I have a great idea. I will assure you 100% you are not going to crash this plane.
GET THE BEST PILOT IN YOUR CLUB TO MAIDEN HER FOR YOU[8D]

+1

Also, Make sure you go to church the Sunday before you fly.......It can't hurt.

Cary
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Avistarpilot

I remember when I misjudged the height of a tree coming in on my downwind(plus it was WAY to windy) and I clipped a wing and sod rocketed her into the ground. Snapped the empenage off, wings detatched from the root, punched a nice hole in the LH leading edge, and broke the nose gear off. I re-built it, re-covered it, and got it all ready to go for it's maiden after it's crash. I remember being pretty nervous but told myself "I know how to fly." The only way I was going to get over that fear was to just go do it. So this time I took it up at an actual flying field, with next to no wind. I took it easy for a while until I got comfortable again and then all was fine.

Take it up, take it easy, double check the important things and go have fun!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM
RealFly

I am training a person now who started on a NextStar and he now flies as Escapade, still in training mode. With that said, the Escapade is a bit quicker than most high wing planes. It is best flown on low rates (as stated in the manual) when you are new to the plane. I would also put in about 40% expo. I do this with all my planes until I am comfortable with them.

Remember Expo makes thesticks less sensitive so if you are nervous it could help a lot. it will also make the plane feelmore docile. Last, but not least go out and do what you normally do with a flight plan in mind. Itmight be as simple as going up following the pattern for a five minute flight and doing a few approaches, then landing.I always keep my first flight shorton a new plane andpurposely leave much fuel for go arounds.

Once youland, take some time to go over the plane and make sure everything is still tight and where it should be.Then you can adjust rates, add more or less expo and make any other changes required. Last, check your batteries before and after each flight. That simple ritual has saved many a plane.

Good luck- however its more about preparation than luck!

Best,
Len
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i just maidened my belair biplane two days ago. don't be afraid of it. make sure you have everything right. thats all you can do. always put alittle up elev in it but not to much. 2 to 3 degrees or 3/32" is plenty and hit the sky. hold the nose up ,make sure she ain't lean and broke in with a least a couple of full tanks through it rich. check your battery after first flight with an esc. don't try any stunts with it until you have the feel of the plane. two flights min. fly five minutes and land. see how much fuel is left then go for seven or 8 min, and land. there a nice plane,i have had two over the years. they fly fast with a good .46. mine flew 70-75 mph with a os .46 fx. there aerobatic too. best of luck with it. i know you'll have fun with it, just go easy for the first few flights and don't think about what happend in the past. we all go through this.............RON
Old 07-27-2012, 11:01 AM
pilomeza

Hello everyone.

I'm getting ready this weekend to maiden my Escapade. I have it balanced, everything checked out, all of the throws correct, etc. I have to say, I crashed my Kaos do to equipment malfunction the last time I flew, so I'm a bit gun shy here. I bought my Kaos from someone else at the club, so it had already been flown many times before I started flying it a year and a half ago. This will be the first time I maidened an aircraft(save for the foamy park fliers I've flown in the past), and coming off of my first major crash, I'm a bit nervous.

Anyone have any tips, ideas, etc. for me to do to have a successful maiden flight? I know the obvious; just take it up and fly it gently until you get used to it, etc. One of the old guys in our club who doesn't fly anymore for health reasons(he's the one who taught me to fly) used to say put a little up elevator trim in it because you can always take that out easier than when you have to put it in to keep it in the air. Just curious as to what you all do to have successful maiden flights.

Thanks.

Tarry.
Just be sure to balance your plane also laterally. This will help you with the ailerons and rudder triming.
Happy Landings
Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RealFly

I am training a person now who started on a NextStar and he now flies as Escapade, still in training mode. With that said, the Escapade is a bit quicker than most high wing planes. It is best flown on low rates (as stated in the manual) when you are new to the plane. I would also put in about 40% expo. I do this with all my planes until I am comfortable with them.

Remember Expo makes the sticks less sensitive so if you are nervous it could help a lot. it will also make the plane feel more docile. Last, but not least go out and do what you normally do with a flight plan in mind. It might be as simple as going up following the pattern for a five minute flight and doing a few approaches, then landing. I always keep my first flight short on a new plane and purposely leave much fuel for go arounds.

Once you land, take some time to go over the plane and make sure everything is still tight and where it should be. Then you can adjust rates, add more or less expo and make any other changes required. Last, check your batteries before and after each flight. That simple ritual has saved many a plane.

Good luck - however its more about preparation than luck!

Best,
Len

Amen, Len. What you explained is a basic sequence that I try to get new pilots to adopt. It will save many planes.

I read about crashes that could, would, have been prevented had the pilots followed some very basic steps both before and after the flight. Especially after a maiden, to really check things out to make sure that everything is tight, no binds, and that the linkage is intact.

Good advice.

CGr.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

I agree with having someone beside to help with the trims. I maidened a plane (Bridi kit) a few weeks back which I built in 2007. Nervous. Thought the surfaces were set right, but it needed alot of left aileron to trim out the plane. Nervously I was trimming the elevator in the wrong direction making it worse than better. Ten flights later, still in one piece. Just  have to adjust the engine better.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
thepamster

I shall take heed to your information! I do plan on going over everything tomorrow evening to check and double check. I even borrowed a friend's 12V to 110V convertor for in my car on Saturday so that after flying the trainer, if batteries aren't looking up to par, I'll put a charge on them. I lost my Kaos when I went to the field the last weekend in April. It was cold and damp, and I was cooking, etc. for our fun fly, and my equipment sat from 7 until 1 in the cold and damp, when I decided I had time to fly. The batteries showed good, but when they were in the air for about 5 mins, they died a quick death. They were kind of old. Not taking any chances any more...I loved that Kaos.
Taking a generator to the field sounds like you are planning on a field charge with a 120v wall charger. And if that is your standard walwart charger thatmay notwork well. I don't know what type of batteries those are of course but field chargers typically are supplied by 12v car battery and fast charge.
Best to charge the night before and then test at field with a loaded voltmeter. and test again between flights.
Just a thought. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.