Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reciever Questions

Hello, I am working on converting my entire hanger from 72mhz to 2.4ghz. If this is not the place for this question, please let me know.

Are there any reliable recievers compatible with spektrum Dsm2 transmitters (Other than Spektrum recievers)? I am one of those notorious low budget modelers who tries to cut corners everywhere. I have heard of OrangeRX, but I have no idea whether or not those are reliable.

I would appreciate any answers, comments, or stories pertaining to my conundrum.

Thanks in advance!

Zeldinio
    If God is your co-pilot, you are in the wrong seat.

Prov 3:5,6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Reciever Questions

To a Google search using "dsm2 orange receiver". They are inexpensive knockoffs of the Spektrum Rx.

Buyer beware ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guess my question would be why? What benefit is there to going "low budget" or cheap in things like the rx and/or servos? I value my investment more than that but then again, that's just me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a gamble. What is your plane worth to you? I bought a $10 "Spektrum" fromn HK, and lost a plane due to a lockout, but I knew it going in. Now I use it on small, expendable combat foamies to try to make it fail again. May have been some other cause. Those orange rcvrs. will work, but "you pays your money and you takes your chance" as the saying goes.. Give it a try. I won't use one on a plane I have any respect for. I also bought some HS55 imitations from Value Hobby. One of the first two I used was bad, but they were only $2.60 each. The servo cord and gear set is worth that. Just buy a couple more than you need.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I kind of expected that to be the case. All of my valuable planes I have already purchased genuine spektrum recievers for. But I have several foamies and scratch built planes that I was looking for a slightly more cost effective option. Thanks for the replies.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I disagree with some of the above. Our club has used many of the orange receivers, all with complete success including in some of the larger planes. Range is ever bit as good as any of the standard Spectrums. We also have several version of the FASST orange units and again all work as well as the original Futaba units. While I am not a fan of outsourcing, facts are facts and there are some very reliable knock offs out there. After all, are not all the RC units made off shore?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have in our club over 30 rx's from target hobby 6 channel full range. 17.00 No one has ever had a problem with any of them. However, all of us use 6v batteries.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are two things you aren't getting with any of the Hobby King stuff or cheap knockoff stuff: quality of materials and quality control inspections. The designs are sound, otherwise they wouldn't manufacturer them. But when a factory is trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of a product, even the grade of plastic used for the case and the solder and adhesives they use gets downgraded. So when you take a sound design and use the lowest possible grade of materials and then don't do any kind of inspecting before shipping the items to the customer, you get high failure rates. Maybe 95% of them work when new, and maybe 90% still work after being subjected to the vibration and g-forces of a couple hours of operation. After that they are probably trustworthy until honest use takes its toll a few years later.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was told, or heard it somewhere that the original spektrum ar6200 only cost 2.00 and change to build. Now these are the one's that you are paying 50 or 60 dollars for.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: goirish

We have in our club over 30 rx's from target hobbyÂ*Â* 6 channel full range.Â* 17.00Â* No one has ever had a problem with any of them.Â* However, all of us use 6v batteries.
    And I know no one that can say this about JR Spektrum. I'm still seeing a few mystery crashes with them at my field. I haven't noticed anyone using the orange cheapos but I will keep my eyes open.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's probably true goirish, if we're only talking about materials and the labor to assemble it all. That's also true for every other maker's receivers as well. But when you add in R&D, quality control, the costs of hte factory itself, along with the costs of running the business, the margins get very thin. I'd be surprised if Spektrum actually makes more than $2 on a $50 receiver when everything is all paid for.

And Greybeard, I agree with you too about Spektrum quality. The Orange RX's have spotty workmanship and materials, but there's been some design flaw from day 1 in Spektrum equipment as well. That's why I fly Airtronics. You can't find anyone whose had a mysterious crash with that equipment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Airtronics receivers are high quality. I always recommend that hobbyists don’t cheap out on important equipment such as their receiver and radio. In my experience Airtronics receivers and radios are super reliable. I don’t fly anything other than Airtronics.

If you are interested in Airtronics receivers here is the link for them on Hobby People’s website.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/radios-servos/receivers/receivers-for-rc-aircraft.html?manufacturer=39

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There have been times when each of the manufacturers had a problem. About 15 years ago, it was the trainer switches on Airtronics, right now lots of problems with Spectrum switches at our field have caused at least two crashes. I'm sure you can find similar cases for all the manufacturers. What amazes me is the generally high quality (reliability) of all the present systems, even those showing some problems. RC electronics is probably the product that has improved in quality, usefulness the most of any kind of product and, at the same time, come down drastically in cost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

That's probably true goirish, if we're only talking about materials and the labor to assemble it all. That's also true for every other maker's receivers as well. But when you add in R&D, quality control, the costs of hte factory itself, along with the costs of running the business, the margins get very thin. I'd be surprised if Spektrum actually makes more than $2 on a $50 receiver when everything is all paid for.

And Greybeard, I agree with you too about Spektrum quality. The Orange RX's have spotty workmanship and materials, but there's been some design flaw from day 1 in Spektrum equipment as well. That's why I fly Airtronics. You can't find anyone whose had a mysterious crash with that equipment.
    We are not using the orange rx. We had one at the field that just quit operating and caused a fly a way. The ar6200 from Target hobby looks exactly like the spektrum ar6200. I guess it could be the same one. Packaged the same also. In fact I am ordering 3 more today. I use them on everything from foamies to gassers. I do have some ar7000 when I need more channels. Like my glider that is being towed. Need an extra channel for the tow release and the spoilers. Or, some of my other planes that have flaps, split elevator, choke and dual aileron servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was agreeing with you, goirish. The Spektrum equipment stands out as the only top-tier brand that has spotty quality control. It's like they hired a Chinese factory supervisor to make their Japanese products. I don't want to start a Spektrum bashing thread here, but I'll never buy anything they make again. I haven't ever owned one of their radios and won't, but I have bought a Spektrum branded battery pack and my recently traded for Trex has Spektrum servos in it. The battery pack was DOA and while I was setting up the heli, one of the servos ran itself to the internal stops and burned up. I'd put Spektrum equipment in the same category as Eurgle and Turnigy for trustworthiness.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

That's why I fly Airtronics. You can't find anyone whose had a mysterious crash with that equipment.
    Sure you can. A buddy of mine at our field flies all Airtronics. He's lost a couple of large planes..... one a Giant Stinger and I can't remember the other one..... I think maybe the Ultra Hots or whatever the large size Hots is..... He lost signal on 2.4 and they just went in. He checked the batteries afterwards and they checked ok. Of course, it could have been something else, but he never knew why he lost both of those planes..... when it happens, it happens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to say I'm a fan of the Orange receivers as well, but I treat them like the "jet guys" do with their expensive models.  I range check a new receiver to make sure it's operational and then I'll put it on a cheap scratchbuilt foamie.  If it works ok for a while, I'll move it up to something else and so on.  Although I've never had one of those fail on me, I would have to agree costs have to be cut SOMEWHERE and quality control is definitely where the Chinese start cutting first by simply not having any.    Also, although I've thoroughly enjoyed my Spektrum equipment and the availability of lower cost options, I too have had a couple "quality issues" with OEM equipment.  

Zeldinio, one alternative that has just come to my attention is at least Spektrum has finally released a lower cost full range 4 channel RX if you've got any 4 channel planes:  http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eiver-SPMAR400  I think previously their lowest price full range receiver (6 channel) was $59 which I could get at my LHS for $50.  So at least, if you're not a fan of the Orange receivers, maybe they'll have something to do with Spektrum lowering their prices a bit.  Good luck with your changeover!

Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Futaba radio and use the original receivers on all expensive planes. For the smaller, cheaper models I have Corona, Frsky in my planes and a Orange rx in a Raptor 30.
    They all work flawless with no problems at all.
    So I plan on testing the rx in a cheaper plane, then I might just put it into one of the better planes.
    Just ordered a couple from www.valuehobby.com - work great for a fraction of a Futaba rx price

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that! I have quite a few foamie warbirds that are 4 channel. This would be a perfect option for many of my planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My father used to tell me you get what you pay for. You can get to point A to point B in a Kia or in a Mercedes Benz. You will get there anyways.
    But there are differences. 
    I will never trust my $1000 plane to a $15 orange receiver.[X(]
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As long as we are doing old sayings'  "Only the rich can afford the inexpensive because they have to replace it so often"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One of the fellows I fly with is a JR sponsors race pilot, After Japan got hit and flooded with the big wave he was wondering where JR was going to be having there Spektrum and JR equipment manufactured. Probably China like a lot of our equipment that is sold under a brand name.
    I bought a 2.4 Hitec module for my Futaba 9-C so I was able able to change over as money found it's way into my pockets. By looking around and asking friends I have been able to find a few good deals on Hitec RXs once in a while. I am still changing back and forth from 2.4 to 72. I could use several more 9ch RXs but they are near $100.00 a pop at retail prices. My 9ch PCMs still work very well so when I get changed over fine, until then no problem.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

horizon hobby has a 4 ch spectrum rx for 30.00. the ar 400 rx...check it out..........RON

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased 2 ar400"s they were $30 but due to poor weather and a VERY tail heavy plane I have not flown them yet[&o] I plan on trying them out in a foam sportster first and flying it out as far as I possibly can to see how well it works then reinstalling and rerange checking I probably should just save some money and get a rds8000 to replace my rd8000 that way I can be sure I wont have any problems. what I want in a radio is separate dual rate switches and a sub $250 price.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, 
     I currently use a Spektrum DX 18 for my planes and a DX8 for my Heli's. So here are my questions;  Is the only thing u consider other than price the loss of your airplane or heli? What happens if your 15$ rx locks you out and your plane/heli crashes into someone's property, or heaven forbid, even worse, into someone? I do make sure to spend the money on genuine spektrum or JR rx's for every plane or heli. To me it is not worth the risk no matter the savings. I have been using Spektrum since the beginning and (knock on wood ) have not lost anything I can blame on radio/Rx failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast