Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Learn to fly ASAP

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Learn to fly ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Learn to fly ASAP

I've been giving flight training for over 40 and way back I thought there had to be a easier, faster and safer way to teach than when I used a buddy/box. So quite by accident, I developed my teaching technique.

Here is a video of me teaching kids to fly on a winding day. One kid (65) learned faster than the younger kids and was able to fly totally on his own, minus landing, in one 10 minute lesson. This was at an annual club event called FONRA, put on by Wing and Rotor RC Flying Club in Niagara Falls, NY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE0MJTfm6pw

Fliers1
Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learn to fly ASAP

I'm sorry I'd have to see it in person...I just don't think the human mind can develope the muscle memory, and coordination to fly in 1 10 minute lesson minus a landing. Holding a transmitter on a well trimed plane is not flying....But I wasn't there...More power to ya ....Good teaching and flying
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with Jetmech on this one. I see nothing in the video other than someone standing behind a student making minor corrections on the transmitter. There was no landing observed. You just can't learn to fly RC in one 10 minute flight, even after using simulators for a length of time.

What happens if the student comes close to the ground and makes a mistake? Does the instructor have time to grab the transmitter and make corrections to save the plane? I seriously doubt it.

I'll stick with the "old fashion" method of using the buddy box.

CGr.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is definitely benefit to be had from feeling the control movements of a skilled flyer. Perhaps a combination of buddy-box and this Ragland technique, might yield exceptional results. A variation of this technique is commonly used in the full-sized world.

Of course, I say "definitely" in the sure and certain knowledge that someone will tell me that "it ain't so".

The OP claims that the student was able to fly around unaided ... and he does appear to be doing just that. Now, that isn't the same as claiming that the student is a proficient pilot.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:11 AM
goirish

I would think that the left hand should be on the stick at all times. 
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

I have to agree with Jetmech on this one. I see nothing in the video other than someone standing behind a student making minor corrections on the transmitter. There was no landing observed. You just can't learn to fly RC in one 10 minute flight, even after using simulators for a length of time.

What happens if the student comes close to the ground and makes a mistake? Does the instructor have time to grab the transmitter and make corrections to save the plane? I seriously doubt it.

I'll stick with the ''old fashion'' method of using the buddy box.

CGr.
Absolutely! I mean, to make claims that he has people soloed and landing in 10 minutes is ridiculous! Oh, wait, that's not what he said is it? So, all he claims is "easier faster" method and that he had one student flying by himself without landing. I guess it might be lying if he made the claims you imagine he does, but he didn't.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: goirish

I am a buddy box instructor. For the first few flights I set the throttle for the studwnt and have them only worry about the right stick. I believe most students are easily overwhelmed and rampant with adrenalin when they start out so I limit what they must concentrate on at first.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: goirish

I am a buddy box instructor. For the first few flights I set the throttle for the studwnt and have them only worry about the right stick. I believe most students are easily overwhelmed and rampant with adrenalin when they start out so I limit what they must concentrate on at first.
makes sense to me.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I used to be involved in a schools day at Old Warden airfield in Bedfordshire. A group of aeromodellers with the help of the BMFA training officer gave kids a taste of RC flying on trainers with a buddy box.

The kids were given a 2 minute brief on the TX then marched out and given the buddy box.

I was one of the aeromodellers involved for several years. A few of them demonstrated amazing hand eye coordination and required virtually no corrections by me. They flew circuits loops and rolls on their own.

There was a common denominator they were all thumb bandits ie played LOTS of computer games with joystick controllers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42263.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1792585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67845.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1792586  
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM
goirish

My grandson was one of them that learned quickly.  It was boring being on the buddy box with him.  He was doing cuban 8's, split S's.  I would show him what it would look like and then he would do it.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just watched the video again ... and I can see something of value in this.

If you look at the youngsters, you'll see that they are calm and almost passive. There is no frantic activity and control inputs are minimal. They are letting the aeroplane do the work, as it's designed to.

It's been my experience that new pilots expect that the cockpit will be a hive of activity ... that it's only the Herculean efforts of the pilot which prevent disaster... whereas, if there is a flurry of activity, it generally means that something is going wrong. It can take a long time before pilots learn to let the aeroplane do the flying. And then everything calms down.

Having your hand on the student's allows him to perceive that you are making tiny control inputs ... and then waiting to see whether they have had the desired effect.

I don't do much instructing, but I'll give this a go at the next opportunity; in conjunction with a buddy-box. Belt-and-braces.

Meanwhile, I had the privilege to see a chap solo after just two dual flights and some sim work. Here's the video. Go to 3 minutes and 45 seconds and you will see the guy's first landing. He had previously spent a couple of weeks on the flight sim, doing guided practise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGQ7tU8DylE&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 AM
chrisudy

I flew with the OP yesterday - his technique worked for me.  I got in a couple more takeoffs and landings in after he left as well!

Chris