Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Motor replacement

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM
slackyhacky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor replacement

Hello all!

I have read many things on this great forum, but finally needed to ask a question.

I recieved a EPO C-182 from HobbyKing. It was a PNP so I just hooked up the batter and transmitter etc. Because I am new to this (I flew a Champ for a while, and flew a hobbyzone T-28 Micro), I did not check on things properly like I should. At any rate, my first flight with this bird ended up with a 2 foot flight with a crash into the ground which dislodged the motor.

After resoddering the wires (the motor had essentially destroyed the wires), the motor doesn't work properly - so now I need to replace the motor. (The motor is a 1400kv brushless system - no idea what the max current is).

I know very little about this and have read a ton - but there is no great place that discusses the anatomy of a motor - and the sights that sell the motors don't discuss how to mount them.

It looks like most motors are rounded on the end (see the picture).

However, my motor has a protruding end that needs to be placed in the cylindrical receiver (pictured). In addition, the shaft needs to be at least 1 3/16 inches (~30mm) from the leading edge (not the back edge of the motor which is how I have seen them measured....very strange). I have yet to see a shaft anywhere near that. Also, it needs to be threaded.

So my question is two fold. Could someone suggest a good replacement motor that would fit?

Can someone suggest a good site that discussed the anatomy of the motor so that I could have answered this question on my own?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76462.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1793785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62521.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1793786  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motor replacement

Have you tried wattflyer.com?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wattflyer at the bottom of the header bar. All they speak is watts and volts.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
SeamusG

Can't help myself - how about a WOTFlyer.com - home for over aggressive throttle management ...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM
slackyhacky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Have you tried wattflyer.com?
Do you mean have I tried their forum to get my question answered?

No, I assumed there was enough people on this board that could answer my question, but I will give that other forum a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM
SeamusG

SH - your OP asked for good sites - so, I offered up a good site dedicated to 'lectric power. That's all.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
KitBuilder

the shaft doesnt need to be threaded just b/c the original was. I have several e-motors though I'm more familar with glo and have never seen a motor like that on those that I searched on and ordered.

this is your motor per this link
Motor: 3715 Brushless outrunner
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Product=10830b

I found this comment and it looks like something you may want to do.. he talks of the new motor purchased for it.. and it being much better.

I replaced everything, my motor is from Hobby King and is a KD 36-22S Brushless Outrunner 1440Kv with a 40 amp exceed esc and runs on 11.1 lipo, changed the prop to a 9x6. before I put things together I researched anything I could find such as this site to find out all the wrongs and beefed up all the weak area's and fixed the elevator etc. Added lights and a co-pilot CPD4 to keep her steady. I have floats but not interested in going in the water, so they are for sale are trade. If you take your time with this plane she is a beauty, I put clear tape on all the stickers and reinforced the motor mount with epoxy. Just look over the whole plane and put some love and care into her and she'll last you forever. I bought a Exceed 6 channel Radio and added flaps which is a must. You can fly real calm and steady like your gliding when you have your flaps down a bit, and landing is an ease. The KD 36-22S fit right in, I unscrewed the allen bolts from the back and my Kd 36-22S fit perfectly in, and it is twice as powerful as the original 3715 which I can't even find any information on it anywhere, like I say just show it some luvin and you got you a great plane. I spent $40.00 extra dollars and I am happy as hell....Joe [email protected] and if you want those floats let me know I never even opened the box, I'll trade them. e-mail me