Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pre-Maiden Jitters

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pre-Maiden Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Maiden Jitters

Hey guys. Im about ready to RE-Maiden my Parkzone P47, and am very, very nervous. I crashed my P47 last time because i was so nervous, that i just kind of pulled down elevator without even thinking.What do you guys do to cope with those "pre-maiden jitters"?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pre-Maiden Jitters

Your kidding right? That's why we buy so many planes. So we keep getting that rush.

Take a few deep breaths and just do it. You almost never make the same mistake twice.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Microz

Well no im not kidding...see, im a micro flyer, and those are just awesome fun especially since if you crash, its no big deal since theres a small chance of hurting it. With these big ones...well....not so much.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A plan helps a lot. Work out in your mind what your flight path is going to be and what maneuvers you're going to do. Also decide ahead of time what you are going to do if the wind throws you off course. Pick a day to fly when the wind is light so you know you'll have a predictable plane.

The second thing that really helps is getting a more experienced pilot to fly it for you the first time. That way you know you're starting with a properly trimmed plane and you can see it fly right before you get on the sticks.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Microz

Thanks Jester! Yeah I'll see if there are any other pilots there who are experienced...winds are very low today so it should be good.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:58 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You said in your first post that you pulled down. Most planes are set up so that when you pull the stick, the plane climbs and when you push the stick, it will come down. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
KitBuilder

Jitters... they never go away.. as you get experience they just present themselves differently.

I'm coming to close on a 8 mos. WW1 1/6 scale bipe build. Lots of time invested so I'll be anxious more than nervose... My jitters over time have turned to a "bring it' attitude..... a sort of turning nervous energy into positive excitement.... I can't wait to see her sitting on the runway.... the 4 stroke ticking over like a clock... .advancing the throttle... the tail coming up.... is there anything better !! See a positive outcome.. see a positive experience in your head....having confidence is more than half the battle.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can say I've made that same transition, Kitbuilder. I get a little bit of the jitters when I take out a new plane or one I haven't flown in a while, but it's mostly just a little bit of anxiety of wanting to do a good job. For me it took a long time for me to really try to learn any maneuvers because I had a strong phobia of the plane just falling out of the sky or getting into a weird position all on its own that I couldn't figure out how to save it from. It didn't help that my first model was a Cessna that could be unpredictable. But some stick time and some simulator time gave me my confidence, and then flying an Ugly Stick gave me a lot more.

FWIW, plane setup is a huge part of being comfortable in flight. If a plane is twitchy and you find the plane overreacts to your controls, making you have to do constant corrections, then your throws are too hot. That was a major problem I had with the Cessna, but no one told me any different. If the plane doesn't land on a smooth glide slope with at least a little elevator control all the way to the ground the CG is wrong.

Microz, if you take a flight or two with a known good plane that helps a lot too. Your Champ is a great wind indicator, so if you don't have much trouble controlling it the warbird should be fine too. Were you able to get someone to help you get it back in the air?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Jitters?  What jitters.

Just kidding.  We all have them, always with new planes.  Everyone is different but for me, it isn't about flying skill.  Not that I'm an expert or first class pilot.  Quite the contrary but my style has little pucker factor.  I comfortably stay within my capabilities.

For me, the jitters come from the "what did I forget" category.  It is the fear that during the build process, I made some horrible mistake that unbeknownst to me, there is a fatal flaw in the plane that has rendered it completely unflyable.  Of course the only way to know that is to fly it.  I'll have this vision that as soon as the wheels lift off, the plane with flip over on its back and splatter into a zillion pieces.

The good news is that has never happened.  Checking, rechecking, re-rechecking has helped keep my maidens pretty uneventful.

I guess the point is that if you are like most of us, the jitters come with the territory.  Just work through them and quell them as best as you can.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

A plan helps a lot. Work out in your mind what your flight path is going to be and what maneuvers you're going to do. Also decide ahead of time what you are going to do if the wind throws you off course. Pick a day to fly when the wind is light so you know you'll have a predictable plane.

The second thing that really helps is getting a more experienced pilot to fly it for you the first time. That way you know you're starting with a properly trimmed plane and you can see it fly right before you get on the sticks.
Yea this is exactly what I do, on maidens I just take off and correct my settings then practice a few passes then practice landing and take offs.
I feel I need to be comfortable with landings and take offs before I start to test a plane. Because in the event I lose power I need to be able to land confidently. So I practice take offs and landings first then when everything checks out and I'm comfortable to land... I start to play around a bit getting more and more ballsy until after 10-30 flights BAM crash :P
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Microz

thanks guys. I ended up not going to the field yesterday because it began raining. Oh and when i said i pulled the stick down, I meant that i pushed it up to get the plane to come down hehehe. Hopefully sometime this week i can take the P47 out.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to get rid of the maiden flight jitters is to learn to fly, and learn to fly correctly. Too many new pilots get planes that are above their ability to fly. I see too many new comers buying mustangs, P-40s, and the like thinking they can fly them.

It's best to start with a trainer and getting good with it. Then moving to a more intermediat plane and getting good with it. Once you are good at the controls and you have cofidence in your ability, the jitters go away. You then experience "excitment".

Frank
Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Jacobs Jasta 7

ORIGINAL: countilaw

The best way to get rid of the maiden flight jitters is to learn to fly, and learn to fly correctly. Too many new pilots get planes that are above their ability to fly. I see too many new comers buying mustangs, P-40s, and the like thinking they can fly them.

It's best to start with a trainer and getting good with it. Then moving to a more intermediat plane and getting good with it. Once you are good at the controls and you have cofidence in your ability, the jitters go away. You then experience ''excitment''.

Frank

I agree to a point Frank, everyones learning curve is different, and it's not up to anyone to say if he or she is ready to handle whatever plane IMO. I've seen newbies on a warbird the second year in, and not crash it. I've been flying about 10 years and I still get the jitters at times. Also I fly scale and some of my planes have taken a year to build.

Also every first flight of every Spring my hands start to sweat a little. So to the OP I say you are right where your supposed to be and it is OK. I read somewhere someone older with a heart condition got a heart attack flying his RC airplane for the first time. He started feeling pains in his chest, managed to land the plane safely then dropped dead. It's rare, I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on your airplane and watch what it does. Practice keeping your wings level and practice keeping your turns smooth. Remember to be nice and easy with your control movements (keep it smooth and gental). If it seems too much, just yell and have someone take over that has more experience. Another thing you can do is teather up with a instructor just in case.

Me if I get stage fright at a big event, I just try to picture everyone naked.

Pete
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
jetmech05

ever hear of self fulfilling prophoeceies? ( i guess that's spelled right) any way being nervous of crashing makes you crash....
I guess the best way to control that is not so much a flight plan...as a mission plan...ie I want to take off, set trims, check CG, see how it stalls, shoot some approaches then do a full stop. I can modify my plan at will depending on the situation. Perhaps I'll enlist the aid of a co pilot to stand next to me on the spot
I know how to fly, so I will, and the outcome is gonna be ok...I'm not going to loop or roll that will come later. Instead I am going to check the air worthiness of my ship.
Go get em
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
flyntruk
My Feedback: (5)

I love that feeling . because it reminds me that I'm alive .  I recently maidened my GP WACO ,, I turned down some earlier attempts  because things just were'nt right ..   But one of the things I do is I bring a friend with me who is very experinced , and is very calm when things look  ike they may go bad .  My maiden went off like a good dream ..   every thing went right . but , I did have to sit down for about 10 min afterwards . Love them jitters ..
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
countilaw

I've newbys flying pattern in their second year also. But they didn't start flying pattern ships in the first 6 months of flying either. They started out with the proper training, the proper plane and the proper technique. You must learn to crawl before you can walk. Too many newbys start out with planes that are too far advanced for their owners capabilities.

When I am going to maiden a new plane I know it's straight and balanced. I know it's going to take off level and climb out straight. I know that my installations are correct and air worthy. I have confidence in my ability to fly the plane. Therefore, I am excited to fly it.

With the world of ARF where someone else built the plane, you don't know what's going to happen when the plane leaves the ground. But with close inspection and measurements, you can take some of the guess work out of the results.

How many people have we seen or heard of that purchased a RTF and took it to the school yard or park and tried to fly it with no instruction? Quite a few I'm sure. They crash the toy plane, it breaks and they walk away saying, " Well, there's a shot $200. They drop it in the trash and go play video games. If they had purchased the correct plane, had so instruction, and learned the correct technique, they would probably be enjoying a great hobby now.

I am sure there will be some people pop on here and claim that they taught themselves to fly. Well good, but at what costs? How many planes did you go through? How long did it take you?

This is the internet, so everything you read here is always the truth and no one lies about their experience and how great they fly or how long they have been flying.

Frank

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I've been flying 30 years and still get the jitters on a first flight. That's why I enjoy it so much. Nothing is more fun then the first flight.
My suggestion to to have two planes. One flying and one being fixed.
Hang in there it get easier, I promise. Dennis
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I am sort of the opposite as I do not enjoy the jitters and am not one of the jittery types. If I am nervous or jittery, I usually choose to not fly. Nervousness when flying a new plane has only happened to me a few times and I have learned that if I am nervous there is something else wrong and it is not the best time to maiden a plane. I will usually land the plane immediately and take a break. I may be too tired, or need to chill out or something else is affecting me.

Sometimes I think we over set our expectations and we can cause ourselves issues. Anticipation can play into this as well. If you have flown and are reasonably decent at it you should be able to maiden a plane. I have maidened several now and have not had but one catastrophic event and that was my fault because my ailerons were reversed. I would still have that plane had I been observant and checked behind myself. I was not nervous at all though when I took off. I was somewhat disappointed that I lost the plane.

When I maiden a plane I am very confident in my setup and usually no issues occur. I do check my ailerons better now One thing that I find is very important is once you have maidened the plane is to do post flight checks. Things can get loose and that is when a thorough checkover can expose something that will save your plane.

Some guys maiden anyone's plane. I don't feel comfortable maidening anyone else's plane, much less my own. I do admire the guys that can maiden anything though. Some guys can fly an inner tube

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I've newbys flying pattern in their second year also. But they didn't start flying pattern ships in the first 6 months of flying either. They started out with the proper training, the proper plane and the proper technique. You must learn to crawl before you can walk. Too many newbys start out with planes that are too far advanced for their owners capabilities.

When I am going to maiden a new plane I know it's straight and balanced. I know it's going to take off level and climb out straight. I know that my installations are correct and air worthy. I have confidence in my ability to fly the plane. Therefore, I am excited to fly it.

With the world of ARF where someone else built the plane, you don't know what's going to happen when the plane leaves the ground. But with close inspection and measurements, you can take some of the guess work out of the results.

How many people have we seen or heard of that purchased a RTF and took it to the school yard or park and tried to fly it with no instruction? Quite a few I'm sure. They crash the toy plane, it breaks and they walk away saying, " Well, there's a shot $200. They drop it in the trash and go play video games. If they had purchased the correct plane, had so instruction, and learned the correct technique, they would probably be enjoying a great hobby now.

I am sure there will be some people pop on here and claim that they taught themselves to fly. Well good, but at what costs? How many planes did you go through? How long did it take you?

This is the internet, so everything you read here is always the truth and no one lies about their experience and how great they fly or how long they have been flying.

Frank

So I take it to mean that everyone that is self taught is lying or has spent a bunch of money on wrecked planes? Not necessarily so, but that subject has been beat to death in other threads.

To the OPI say,most everyonegets nervous on the maiden of a new plane. My knees were almost knocking when I put my Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW 190 in the air the first time. Same with my Parkzone T-28 Trojan, but since then, no nerves with these two. However, I have a Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane Select Scale that I know I am going to be nervous putting her up the first time. Although Iprobably won't be as nervous as the first time I put my HZ Super Cub up, my second plane overall. Being nervous is just being human. On the other hand, I know two fellows that have bought planes and are terrified to fly them, who knowswhy. Anyway, get out there an fly, if you crash, so be it. She'll fly next time.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
countilaw

No, If I meant to say , " everyone that claims to be self taught are liars" I would have said it in the same paragraph. There were three questions asked, how long, how much and how many .

The next paragraph is a warning and a fact. This is the internet, you can't believe everything that you read. Is there anyone here that will disagree with that?

Frank
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Chucksolo69

You are right of course. But believe me, there are many people who fly RC that have never had formal instruction and do just fine. It just rubs me the wrong way when people say it isn't possible to learn to fly RC without formal instruction.............poppycock.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

We have kind of an unwritten rule in our group. Somebody else checks the plane, especially for controls going the correct direction, and then somebody other than the owner flies it the first time. The owner of the airplane obviously has to trust the guy flying the plane but it seems that by the time the owner of the plane takes the controls, the jitters are pretty much gone. Sometimes that happens in the middle of the first flight, sometimes not. But we've been pretty good at picking up on reversed controls and successful maidens because someone who is not emotionally vested in the plane checks it and flies it first.

I realize that is not going to work with all personalities, but it is working in our small group. Bear in mind that ours is a very small group, only about a dozen fliers, and we are pretty close knit.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM
countilaw

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

We have kind of an unwritten rule in our group. Somebody else checks the plane, especially for controls going the correct direction, and then somebody other than the owner flies it the first time. The owner of the airplane obviously has to trust the guy flying the plane but it seems that by the time the owner of the plane takes the controls, the jitters are pretty much gone. Sometimes that happens in the middle of the first flight, sometimes not. But we've been pretty good at picking up on reversed controls and successful maidens because someone who is not emotionally vested in the plane checks it and flies it first.

I realize that is not going to work with all personalities, but it is working in our small group. Bear in mind that ours is a very small group, only about a dozen fliers, and we are pretty close knit.

Now that's proper technique. You guys sound like you've got a plan.

Frank

Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
adamle

I make a preflight checklist. Things like balance cg, check throws, batteries charged and about 20 other items. It helps me feel confident that my plane will not surprise me. Then I take a few deep breaths.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 AM
jetmech05

There's no way someone other than me is going to fly my new airplane....you can look her over if you want to...flying her is my job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.