Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What's the proper method of a barrel roll?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What's the proper method of a barrel roll?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's the proper method of a barrel roll?

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Horace, glad to see someone else who really knows how to do a barrel roll. Naturally, you were an Air Force IP. I was a Tweet IP for 4 years back in the 1960s. No one even knows what a section line is any more. Man, that was a lifetime ago.
That is a funny, Ed. Scary but funny!. I will be completing my 77th trip around the sun (as Red Sch. says) and that IS scary! [] I have a son that is now with Contienental after 3 furloughs with UN-TIED airlines, but he is OK as he managed to get a full 20 year retirement from USAF as a Lt. Col.
For info. the UAL and Cont. Pilots are not yet merged. Contract problems with both.

Good to hear from you Ed. Sorry to get so far off tract from the thread, 70x7. Hope you have fun rolling that machine!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Axial rolls are easiest, also the most boring.

Trying to perfect barrel rolls has kept me entertained for over 4 decades. You have to fly the model though them, there is no other way. Every airplane design needs slightly different inputs and timing. On airplanes that are more neutral with little cross coupling between the rudder and aileron inputs (a plane that can yaw without rolling), I find that right rudder while rolling left with a bit of up elevator works well.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didnot have to be in the milatary to lern to do a roll as Hoss has dicribed it. When I got my privet back in the early 50's we learned ti that way in a PT-22 it was a bugger to do at frist, but once you got it it was easy. Then when I was into rc learning to use the thumbs was a bit tugh but you get over it, thke off's and flying was always the easer but landings you realy have to practice

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you guys really know what you're talking about I have a side question about rolls. Now maybe it's just me and the way I pinch the stick as it is always most uncomfortable to push the right stick left (for left aileron). The question is this:

Is it the planes or is it me that makes better axial rolls to right than to left. Most all my planes seem to roll left more like a barrel roll. I figured it was because of prop rotation , but I do also tend to dumb the elevator while using left aileron. So is this a characteristic of single prop planes?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never experienced a plane that rolls better one direction over another when the plane is properly set-up. For some, rolling to one direction over another "looks better to their eye" or "feels more comfortable on the sticks." I experienced this myself until I forced myself to practice both rolls (primarily point rolls) and knife edges in both directions. In the case of rolls, both rolling left and rolling right with the plane traveling both from the left to right and the right to left. I started working on the RealFlight simulator and then continued practice at the field.