Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Running brushless at less than rated volts?

Ok, so I have a 1.2 size brushless outrunner motor, that is recommended to use 9-10s lipo. Unfortunately, the largest lipos I have are 6 and 7 cell. So my question is, what will happen if I run this motor on the smaller batteries? I realize this may be a completely idiotic question, as I am not an electrical genius. Thanks in advance for any help.
    If God is your co-pilot, you are in the wrong seat.

Prov 3:5,6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Running brushless at less than rated volts?

G'day Mate,
    I think it will just run slower, because you are using less voltage, It won't swing as large a prop, for the same reason.
    As long as the ESC will handle the current, that's the main thing.

Cheers
    Good Flyin Mate. Keep Thyne Airspeed up, lest the ground arise & smite thee,
    Allan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lower voltage will make lesser demands on the existing ESC so you are safe there.

You'll get less power if you don't change the prop.

If you DO change the prop, you may get close to the same amount of power, but you'll have to choose carefully.

The decrease in power with your existing prop will be rather dramatic however, so you will not be satisfied.

You COULD run your 7S pack with a 3S pack ( of the same capacity ) in series to make up the difference and end up with an effective 10S.

Likewise you COULD run your 6S pack with a 4S pack ( of the same capacity ) in series to make up the difference and end up with an effective 10S.

In your shoes I would do either of the latter.

However you'll need to charge and balance the batteries separately.

Remember that the add-on packs must be of the same capacity as the ones you have now.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks alot for the info. I knew the power would decrease with the lower voltage, but I wasn't sure if I would somehow damage my engine or battery.

Thanks a ton for the batteries in series idea. I don't know why, but I had never thought of that. I will most likely go that route. Thanks again.
    If God is your co-pilot, you are in the wrong seat.

Prov 3:5,6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can wire up your own series connectors or use commercial ones.

The latter is a good idea and will prevent you from having to modify anything you already have.

Plus you'll get more bang for the buck too. Your add-on packs can be used on or for other planes too.

The ideal situation is to get a set of batteries of the same brand that you have now so both chemistry and resistance, etc. are identical.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.