Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What plane (brand new to hobby)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What plane (brand new to hobby)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
prime1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane (brand new to hobby)

I am completly ignorant when it comes to rc airplanes. I am heavy into rc monster trucks but am interested in planes now. Which brand and or plane do u guys recommend for me. I have mever flown before but have rc experience.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What plane (brand new to hobby)

Best thing to do is find the local RC flying club and speak with one of the instructors. They may even have a club buddy-box trainer available.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Tim's suggestion.

In many cases AMA sanctioned clubs have both electric & glow powered trainers available for buddy box sessions. Our club only had one rule to "solo" - it had to be the member's Tx & plane.

Are you at glow or electric?

Check the sticky threads at the beginning of this forum. It's a start.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our club, like many clubs, has a trainer with buddy cord to let newby's fly and learn a little before they go out and buy a plane for themselves. Usually the trainee learns very fast whether he wants to get into RC planes or not. Most do and most get a plane just like our club plane.

Like said before, find a club in your area and see what they can do for you. And by the way, it's usually free.

Frank

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

As others said, find a club. As for a plane, a SIG Kadet is a really good flying plane, and there are some ARF's out there that can be either glow or electric.  Tower has their version of the Kadet too in the 40 size that my friend put electric on, We havent flown it yet, he used the RX in something else, but we should have one for it soon. From the looks of it, not much different than the Kadet.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Chucksolo69

If it is convenient for you, yes, find a club and an instructor. AFlyzone Sensei or an e-Flight Apprentice are popular trainers that can be buddy boxed and are often welcomed by instructors. If you don't have a club or instructor available, then I would suggest one of the following if you plan to"go it alone."

Hobbyzone Champ
Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos
Hobbyzone Super Cub
Ares Gamma 370

Of those 4, the Gamma 370 is the most upgradeable with an optional aileron wing and brushless power set that are readily availalble from Hobby Town. Good luck and happy flyin'.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have all the training equipment so my students can learn to fly without buying anything except there OWN fuel. After solo I even let them use the trainer and radio until they decide what plane and gear they want to buy. No reason to spend money until you know you will want to stay with flying.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
koastrc

I like your style Gray Beard. I do things much like that. I was a intro pilot once upon a time. Gave that up. Will help anyone that commits to the sport. Not to be a horses rear, but I find that system much better. Folks come out to understand flying. We know there is much and it is at times complicated. We have a couple of fellows that do the intro work and a dear friend and I do the heavy work. First with our trainers and then with the students aircraft. We try to make it as enjoyable as possible. In most cases it works out and they become long time members. Many have went on to out me.
The question as to what plane to start with is the oldest and most common. I think they find out on their own if they are correctly exposed.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 PM
colin6489
Banned

There are several types of radio-controlled aircraft. There are models for beginners RC airplanes and RC gliders. RC airplanes can have two types of electric motors. Conventional engines and the new Brushless motors, powerful and reliable. if you never fly rc plane then i will suggest you Mini version 2.4 GHz RTF Brushless Cessna avion rc . it s for the beginners.
above is it's link. but it is in french not English.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: koastrc

I like your style Gray Beard. I do things much like that. I was a intro pilot once upon a time. Gave that up. Will help anyone that commits to the sport. Not to be a horses rear, but I find that system much better. Folks come out to understand flying. We know there is much and it is at times complicated. We have a couple of fellows that do the intro work and a dear friend and I do the heavy work. First with our trainers and then with the students aircraft. We try to make it as enjoyable as possible. In most cases it works out and they become long time members. Many have went on to out me.
The question as to what plane to start with is the oldest and most common. I think they find out on their own if they are correctly exposed.
I no longer teach anyone that can't drive. I have been used as a baby sitter by parents and when someone else goes with me I have to leave one of my own planes behind to make room in my van for the kids plane and gear.
I do enjoy teaching the kids more then older folks though. No fear and they learn in days, not months. I had one 12 year old that could have soloed on day one but I held him back until day two!!
It took me several weeks to solo and I have had older students that I got to solo but they have never really caught on. As long as they are having fun with it though.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

We get some of that on training night Greybeard. I don't get to be there much, but it seems that every year a few youngsters get brought there just because it's free and they like it. The parents have no intention in investing in equipment, and the kids don't have the income. But we at least require they have their own transportation which keeps it manageable, and we look at it as planting seeds for later. I'll probably be hauling a 9 year old with me to the field some soon for training, but he's a kid that I want to invest in. I don't have any expectation for him to do the hobby on his own, but he'll have a good time doing guy stuff with me.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Gray Beard

I told the 12 year old he was going to give up the hobby by age 15, he couldn't understand why. He gave it up at 14, been in love with the same girl and he is now 16 and has a car of his own. He asked to go out again this year so I took him out and I repaired his good plane for him. That once was his only trip out though. I figure he will be back when he is 30 like I told him he would.
I recall that at 16 I gave up everything for a couple of years. I won't be around to see it but I'm pretty sure he will be back when he is older like most of us.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Boys that age have such a short attention span. I used to be into paintball, and made a little money buying and selling equipment. I could buy stuff for a song from lazy 16 year olds who had no idea what stuff had cost because Grandma had bought it for them, then resell it to 14 year olds with fresh new birthday money for a decent profit.