Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building a large foam plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building a large foam plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
stackerjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a large foam plane

I am thinking of building a Lancaster bomber out of foam. It will be about 90-100" wingspan, and powered by one 61-90 size i.c. engine. It won't have any U/C.
I have been flying for 30 years plus, but never built anything like this before. Does anyone have any ideas please? EG. Wing spars (Ive got lots of 5mm carbon rod) Tailplane construction, Covering material, Paint finish etc.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you
Jack
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 PM
ratshooter

Default RE: Building a large foam plane

The best thing you could do is try to find a book by Keith (Sparky) Sparks on building in blue foam. My local hobby store a copy on the shelf a couple of months ago. He wrote several articles that featured foam airplane construction. I met him at the Small Steps fly in over in Dallas when Randy Randolf ran it. He is a nice guy and made some neat planes. His planes were covered with clear monokote and scuffed up with sand paper and painted with monokote paint IIRC. I think he is a member here but I haven't seen a post from him.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry Beach of Mainly Models in the UK had a kit for a blue foam // brown paper Lanc with retracts for 4 cheap 15s which flew VERY well. it was a limited production kit made to order. He might make one for you or sell you the plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63839.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1802225  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
stackerjack

Thanks guys for your help. I tried contacting Barry, but no luck so far.
I'll keep my eyes open for the book.
Jack
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
ratshooter

Here's the book.

http://www.yardbirdrc.com/product/bu...m-keith-sparks
Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I visited both the Duxford Aerodrome and the Shuttleworth Collection in Biggleswade, UK.

The former had an airshow that had a re-enaction of the Battle of Brittain with quite a few flyable Brittish a WWII aircraft .

At Biggleswade, the Shuttleworth Collection consisted of many restored and flyable Brittish aircraft from WWII and before. They had an airshow the day I visited. It was quite a show. One aircraft in particular was the twin engined Comet. I have many pictures from both events. I can post them if anyone is interested.

CGr.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 PM
stackerjack

Thanks Ratshooter,
Your help is much appreciated.
Stackerjack
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
stackerjack

Hi,
I would love to see some of your Old Warden pictures please, especially the Comet Racer.
Jack
UK
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to post them, you can always email them to me. I have a poor collection of photos taken at the Geneseo airshow over the past few years, I didn't have my camera with me when I had a Spitfire do a flyby over my house, more impressive than the passes at the airshow.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 AM
mike109

G'day

If you live in the UK you probably know about Tony Nijhuis but if you don't, his website is worth a visit for plans etc. A friend of mine built one of his Lancasters but sadly he did not built it all that well and it is unlikely ever to fly unless some serious work is done on it. None the less, Tony's designs are great and I am sure you could adapt them to foam

I visited Duxford three years ago. As my wife and I pulled up in the car park, two Spitfires thundered down the strip and proceeded to chase each other round the sky for about 10 minutes before landing. The sound of the Merlins was AMAZING.

The rest of the collection was pretty amazing too. Concorde 102, Comet, Harrier, Vulcan, Mustang, P-40, Sea Fury, B-25, Dragon Rapide, Tiger Moth, Mosquito, Hurricane, Anson, Viscount, VC-10, etc etc etc

Not far from where I live in Australia is the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. There, as part of one of the displays, is G for George - a Lancaster. There is also a Mosquito, P40, Mustang, Me 109G (which still has its original paint job and looks totally war weary), Me 163, Me 262 and much more. George is quite easy to get close too and is a very impressive aircraft with his 30 foot bomb bay.

Mike in Oz